IGNORED

USB to SPDIF converters

Do I need one? For now, I'm using a PC connected via USB to a Peachtree NovaPre and, to my ears, it sounds great. However, during my research of possible streamer, I've read about these converters. Do they really make that much of a difference? A bit confused about this one....

Anyone?

The need for them was more compelling before async USB. i have one with my old nova since the USB was limited to 16 bit 48 kHz and the optical connection at 96kHz was unreliable. Some people suggest that a very good implementation of a USB/SPDIF converter will still be better than async USB.

• 2 weeks later...

Although a NovaPre is doubtless better than a Nova, which I used to own, I found the latter to be lacking in resolution so I would doubt that the converter would have made much difference. That said, the Audiophillio made a big improvement with my W4S DAC and with my Cary Audio Xciter (both of which were better than the Nova). The Halide bridge was not so impressive.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

Although a NovaPre is doubtless better than a Nova, which I used to own, I found the latter to be lacking in resolution so I would doubt that the converter would have made much difference. That said, the Audiophillio made a big improvement with my W4S DAC and with my Cary Audio Xciter (both of which were better than the Nova). The Halide bridge was not so impressive.

I second this. I use an Audiophilleo2 - fantastic. I used to have a Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 and it was an improvement on the already good implementation of the W4S. I was surprised how much the USB to spdif made a difference. Reduced the impact of the software players considerably...

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes