IGNORED

Why do my three external USB powered hard drives spin all the time?

I am trying to figure this out.

I have a USB powered HD for my music storage. I have a USB powered HD for complete system back up using Time Machine. I have a USB powered HD that I use as a second music file backup.

I cannot figure out why all USB HD's light up and spin all the time. I have recently made some audio equipment changes. I have added a new DAC using Fire wire connect. I now have room for all three external HD's in my Mac Mini and have all connected.

A couple weeks ago I did not have all three HD's connected as I was using a USB for different DAC. Then I would see the HD's light up when Time Machine was working or anytime I am playing music the Music HD would light up.

I sure like computer audio. I am mentally crippled on computer operation.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I am trying to figure this out.

I have a USB powered HD for my music storage. I have a USB powered HD for complete system back up using Time Machine. I have a USB powered HD that I use as a second music file backup.

I cannot figure out why all USB HD's light up and spin all the time. I have recently made some audio equipment changes. I have added a new DAC using Fire wire connect. I now have room for all three external HD's in my Mac Mini and have all connected.

A couple weeks ago I did not have all three HD's connected as I was using a USB for different DAC. Then I would see the HD's light up when Time Machine was working or anytime I am playing music the Music HD would light up.

I sure like computer audio. I am mentally crippled on computer operation.

Hi HIFI,

Did you check the Energy Saver system panel?

I believe you'll find a control to spin down hard drives after x amount of time.

Do keep in mind though that when you intend to play music from the drive housing the music library, it will take several seconds for it to "wake up" and start spinning again. (I keep an "alias" icon for the drive easily accessible on the Dock, and click it before I launch the music playing application. I know the drive is "up" when I see the submenu containing the artist folders.)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

I don't use a Mac so I'm not certain how you do things re Time Machine but I would keep as many USB Hds disconnected as possible. Certainly at least the HD that you use as a second music backup. Just connect it when you back up your new music files.

Why? Less wear and tear on the hds and also less (possibly) interference via all the USB activity you have going on.

Chris

I agree with Chris disconnect the hard drives you are not using.

I plug in my Seagate backup drive only when I am doing a backup. I leave Time Machine turned off until I plug in the Seagate, then I turn it on and click on select disc, do the backup and then turn Time Machine off, unplug the Seagate and put it away until the next backup.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

All great help . . . Thanks to all. . .

Question . . . If I turn Time Machine off it should never call up the Back Up HD. . . therefore it should never turn on. Do you still consider that an "activity"? Sorry if this is a dumb question. i just don't know.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

All great help . . . Thanks to all. . .

Question . . . If I turn Time Machine off it should never call up the Back Up HD. . . therefore it should never turn on. Do you still consider that an "activity"? Sorry if this is a dumb question. i just don't know.

As long as the HD isn't spinning (you should be able to feel that by touching the case) you should be ok, unless there is some kind of polling going on. I wouldn't think so, but someone else could likely be more definitive on that.

Chris