IGNORED

What AVR models have an asynchronous usb port and 5.6mhz DSD

What AVR models have an asynchronous usb port and 5.6mhz DSD?

Since I am new to the game, and haven't yet solidified my DAC purchase decsions, I am considering all options.

The only thing I am convinced of is that i want DSD. I can hear the difference.

Since I am in the market to buy a DSD DAC, I "think" i want to go the route of buying an AVR that includes a DSD Dac. I am not convinced that an external DSD DAC would be any better than using the DSD Dac in the AVR.

The advantages I see are most modern AVR's turn themself off automatically when not in use. It would be one less power cord to an already congested office of power cords. Just one usb cable between my PC and AVR. Also i could use the cost savings to buy a better AVR.

I see several older models with HDMI to DSD DAC, but this board has suggested to stay away from HDMI for audio. I am not 100% convinced of that though, but since they do make AVR with an asynchronous USB port that you can plug directly into your PC, i might as well go that route.

The only model i am currently aware of that has both asynchronous USB port and DSD 5.6mhz playback is the Pioneer SC-79, and would set me back $2K. I am hoping the 2014 lineup of AVR's will bring a $500-$1000 model with both asynchronous USB and 5.6mhz DSD playback. That or maybe with HDMI 2.0 coming in 2014 models, that I can find a dramatic cost reduction of an 2013 SC-79, or maybe HDMI 2.0 will address some of the jitter issues?

Anyway, i am just curious if anyone is running their pc directly into their AVR's DSD DAC, rather via hdmi or asynchronous usb? I would like to know what models support this.

What AVR models have an asynchronous usb port and 5.6mhz DSD?

Since I am new to the game, and haven't yet solidified my DAC purchase decsions, I am considering all options.

The only thing I am convinced of is that i want DSD. I can hear the difference.

Since I am in the market to buy a DSD DAC, I "think" i want to go the route of buying an AVR that includes a DSD Dac. I am not convinced that an external DSD DAC would be any better than using the DSD Dac in the AVR.

The advantages I see are most modern AVR's turn themself off automatically when not in use. It would be one less power cord to an already congested office of power cords. Just one usb cable between my PC and AVR. Also i could use the cost savings to buy a better AVR.

I see several older models with HDMI to DSD DAC, but this board has suggested to stay away from HDMI for audio. I am not 100% convinced of that though, but since they do make AVR with an asynchronous USB port that you can plug directly into your PC, i might as well go that route.

The only model i am currently aware of that has both asynchronous USB port and DSD 5.6mhz playback is the Pioneer SC-79, and would set me back $2K. I am hoping the 2014 lineup of AVR's will bring a $500-$1000 model with both asynchronous USB and 5.6mhz DSD playback. That or maybe with HDMI 2.0 coming in 2014 models, that I can find a dramatic cost reduction of an 2013 SC-79, or maybe HDMI 2.0 will address some of the jitter issues?

Anyway, i am just curious if anyone is running their pc directly into their AVR's DSD DAC, rather via hdmi or asynchronous usb? I would like to know what models support this.

bump

As far as I am aware there are none...

Very few have an Async USB input and the only way of getting DSD into any AVR is via HDMI; and there is no way of outputting DSD via HDMI from a computer (excluding possibly some professional converters).

A separate DSD DAC is likely your best route.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The Pioneer SC-LX87 (EU model) and SC-79 (US model) are the only AVR in the market which support both requirements.

I knew if I made such a statement someone would be along to prove me wrong... And so help the original poster!

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Very few have an Async USB input and the only way of getting DSD into any AVR is via HDMI; and there is no way of outputting DSD via HDMI from a computer (excluding possibly some professional converters).

Eloise

Actually i know of two now, but both are high-end and out of my budget...I am sure there are more, and I am CERTAIN there will be MANY MORE in the near future...

For now, i know both the Pioneer SC-79 and the Sony STR-DA5800ES do...still looking...

Eloise

According to this review from DigitalTrends, Eloise is correct in saying that the only way of getting DSD into the AVR is via HDMI. The review also states that it must be from a compatible player. Due to DRM, a computer may not be considered a compatible player.

SC-79.png

For now, i know both the Pioneer SC-79 and the Sony STR-DA5800ES do...still looking...

As I understand it the Sony will play DSD files from a memory stick or via UPnP, but doesn't do DSD via USB from a computer.

The Pioneer (to quote) "Additionally, the [...] USB DAC supports DSD Native playback (DSD over PCM transfer) via MAC and Windows".

Eloise

Eloise

---