IGNORED

Dumbest caps v3 question ever

So since the last time I built a server they seem to have changed. I am threatening to just let the experts build my next one. But it seems that they no longer include cd drives.

So my idiot question for the day is: how to I get my cd's onto my new driverless server?

You'd rip the CDs elsewhere...and then either transfer the files onto the HDD of the CAPS, attach an external drive with them; or stream them over a network, like from an NAS.

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

Figured it would be something like that. The rest of the computers in the house are all apple. The only cd drive is on an iMac. But my servers have always been pc's.

I guess I would find a ripping software for Mac and the get the files to the server.

Is there a performance reason for remove the optical drive from the server?

Well... Yes and no... If you do not absolutely need a Router... And can power your NAS with a linear power supply ? There are many interesting options to try. I have had some "tweaking craves" at times - some were audible, some others were just "mind comforting"... With music in between of course :)

Alain

Gotcha. I think I will include a second drive on the new server just in case. They have gotten so cheap over the past few years that I might as well just in a case I get better sound out of having the files local on the server.

The only other uses for the files around the house are not critical in terms of quality.

Whoo boy - you must be careful using Macs to RIP to Windows machines! The NTFS can handle very long filenames and filename/Path combinations, but Windows cannot. The Macs of course, do not have an issue with long file names, even when writing to a shared Windows NTFS drive over the network.

It's easy to write files onto the Windows machine that the Windows machine cannot read/write/or backup!

One reason to prefer Macs or Linux machines as servers. :)

-Paul

Figured it would be something like that. The rest of the computers in the house are all apple. The only cd drive is on an iMac. But my servers have always been pc's.

I guess I would find a ripping software for Mac and the get the files to the server.

Is there a performance reason for remove the optical drive from the server?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein