IGNORED

Harman's "How to Listen" - A new computer-based listener training program

I've posted a new article on my audio blog (http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/05/harmans-how-to-listen-new-listener.html) about our new computer-based listener training program used for training Harman listeners.

We are considering making this available for free to audio recording engineers, audio students, audio reviewers, and the audio consumer to increase consumer awareness and appreciation for higher quality audio recording and reproduction.

Cheers | Sean Olive | Director Acoustic Research | Harman International | http://seanolive.blogspot.com

Sean, this could set the audio community forward a number of years. Of course many will ignore it. But with a tool like this out there, many people will sharpen their listening and description, and raise their standards for what they expect from others (and the press) in that regard.

And what's to lose? If more people adopt the listening standards by which Harman designs equipment, aren't more people likely to prefer Harman brands?

Besides, the goodwill it generates for your brands will be tremendous.

This is the most interesting idea I've come across all year.

While I expect this would help me directly in improving my own setup, I'm particularly keen on the idea that this could foster better communication about sound and equipment. I think usernaim250 is saying this just the right way, in that it would "set the audio community forward a number of years."

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I spent a whole day at an audio store, hoping someone would help me hear the difference in sound between different setups. The only thing they did was change $400 interconnects to $7000 interconnects and say "Did you hear that?"

Well, no. They both sounded good.

I would love to be educated.

Mike

Mike, here is an excerpt from the RCA-Victor booklet "Hints for Salesman" from 1931 that shows you how it's supposed to be done:

Use RE-57. Play Stokowski “Stars and Stripes Forever.” “Call the Prospect’s special attention to the fidelity of tone – absolutely true to pitch and color…Call attention to the broad sweep of the orchestra, playing with a full complement of more than one hundred men. Notice the contrast between the strings and the brass. Call attention to the magnificence, the thrilling, martial swing as the orchestra into the stirring finale of “The Stars and Stripes Forever”.

usernaim250 ...

You forgot the most important steps ... make the customer feel like an idiot if he fails to spot the obvious differences when listening to the first and second cable ... :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sean

Thanks for providing a great tool!

Excellent training tool - It's tougher than you would think to get it 100%.

Take it for a test spin guys, do it when you have lots of time!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Thanks so much for putting this out for us.

I learned that even though I am listening carefully, the music directs my attention to some changes more than others.

I tired easily at first and, once my attention flagged, I made silly mistakes. Reliably.

Switching to headphones made everything a bit easier.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Hoping for some help on how to access the program files. Each time I try to 'practice' it tells me I am missing program files. I was able to move the white noise and 60hz hum into itunes, but can't seem to find access to the four songs to be used. I'm using a mac.

Nick

Pete, I should have been more descriptive. I did download the program and logged into it. When I go to 'training sessions' and click on practice, it asks me to choose program material. When I select one of the four pieces of program material, I get no sound. I can't seem to find the four songs listed as program material, so I'm not sure they actually downloaded properly to my computer. I thought they might go to my itunes library, but they haven't. I'm pretty new with a Mac, so it could be I just don't know how to access where they are on my computer.

Nick

Nick

Open finder, choose Programs and locate the 'Harman How To Listen' folder.

These are the files that i find on my MAC:

My 'Harman How To Listen' folder contains:

How To Listen (Program)

mix-ins (Folder)

programs (Folder)

My 'mix-ins' folder contains:

60hz_hum_44_mono.wav

60hz_hum_48_mono.wav

wht_noise_44_mono.wav

wht_noise_48_mono.wav

My 'programs' folder contains:

track1-48.wav

track1.wav

track2-48.wav

track2.wav

track3-48.wav

track3.wav

track4-48.wav

track4.wav

Try to download again if you do not find the same files.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”