IGNORED

Playing 24/96 AIFF files using Mac Mini and Apple TV

My current setup is a Mac Mini using iTunes, Apple TV, optical out of Apple TV to Marantz 7400 receiver.

I can play CD's that I ripped using AIFF and they play fine.

I downloaded an AIFF 24/96 sample file from HD Tracks and it also plays fine.

I then bought and downloaded an AIFF 24/96 album from HDTracks. It plays ok from speakers connected to the MacMini, but when I try to play it through the Apple TV, it just plays a few notes of a song and then the audio cuts out.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Thanks,

Rich

Even worse, it first down-samples it to 16/44.1, and then resamples it to 48 kHz.

The reason it cuts out is that the buffering is inadequate for the big files.

Can you use an optical connection between your mac mini and your receiver?

I'm new to storing and playing files on a computer. In the past I just played CD's. I like the convenience of ITunes and being able to rip my CD's and play them through my receiver. The sound quality is not as good as playing the CD's directly. I thought using Hi Res files might sound better, so that is why I tried the 24/96 format.

My Mac Mini is in another room, too far for an optical cable.

What is confusing me is that all the files from HD Tracks sample album worked fine at the 24/96 sample rate. None of the files from The Joni Mitchell Blue album that I bought worked.

I was looking at a product from NAD called the Dac 2. It is advertised as supporting 24/96. This product has 2 boxes. You connect one to the USB port on the computer and the other connects to your receiver. It has it's own wireless connection between the two. Would this be a better solution then using Apple TV? Will I still be able to use ITunes to manage my music files?

Even worse, it first down-samples it to 16/44.1, and then resamples it to 48 kHz. /QUOTE]

I've always known that to converts everything to 16/48, but is it really true that it converts to 16/44 first? I'm interested to know more.

Paul

I may be wrong but I thought it simply sampled everything to 16/48. I was unaware of any other sampling step in the process.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I'm new to storing and playing files on a computer. In the past I just played CD's. I like the convenience of ITunes and being able to rip my CD's and play them through my receiver. The sound quality is not as good as playing the CD's directly. I thought using Hi Res files might sound better, so that is why I tried the 24/96 format.

My Mac Mini is in another room, too far for an optical cable.

What is confusing me is that all the files from HD Tracks sample album worked fine at the 24/96 sample rate. None of the files from The Joni Mitchell Blue album that I bought worked.

I was looking at a product from NAD called the Dac 2. It is advertised as supporting 24/96. This product has 2 boxes. You connect one to the USB port on the computer and the other connects to your receiver. It has it's own wireless connection between the two. Would this be a better solution then using Apple TV? Will I still be able to use ITunes to manage my music files?

I am sure you can use iTunes to manage your library. If you are not thrilled with the sound of iTunes I recommend you trial a software player like Pure Music or Audivrana which can work in conjunction with iTunes as your library manager.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I replaced the Apple TV with an Airport Express ( older version) and the 24/96 files now play great. Music that is ripped from CD's sound much better using the Airport Express. The brittle, bright sound from the Apple TV is gone. My music now sounds as good as when I play the CD's directly.

• 2 weeks later...