IGNORED

Article: Audioengine D3 DAC Review

Brian

I recently discovered the joy of music streaming for discovering new music. However, sound quality is generally not there (I'm on Rdio). Would the D3 (or the Dragonfly for that matter) improve sound quality. Even if the signal is 320 kbps, I figure the D3 would supercede the computer's internal dac. Is it the case?

Nothing to do with the SQ for now, but for a change, please mini-USB DAC manufacturer's take a little notice.

A notebook has very limited space, often the USB ports are fitted so close to one another side by side separated only by 2-3mm, if you are lucky. This only allows the mini-USB DAC to fitted with very little else. To use all USB ports, it means a hub, or an extension cable to the mini-USB DAC, so much for portability.

The Geek is in the same boat, but they went even bigger making this issue even more obvious.

The larger the mini-USB DAC is, the easier the leverage is, so it can break while being moved or accidentally knocked. This may (and does) damage the USB port.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The D3 does indeed supersede the internal DAC of your computer. From my experience, the D3 helps a improve overall sound quality, but will not resurrect a horrible digital file (or stream) from the grave. Try to start with the best quality you can and go up from there.

I recently discovered the joy of music streaming for discovering new music. However, sound quality is generally not there (I'm on Rdio). Would the D3 (or the Dragonfly for that matter) improve sound quality. Even if the signal is 320 kbps, I figure the D3 would supercede the computer's internal dac. Is it the case?
Any direct comparisons between this and the Dragonfly (old or new version)?

From the review:

The D3 is different. The mid to upper response is more or less uncolored and feels just as linear in its response to the rest of the spectrum. That is not to say the top end doesn’t sparkle and the mids aren’t rich, both of these niceties are plausible, but they do so with just a little less artificial sweetener than the glass of Diet Pepsi the Dragonfly occasionally serves up

Thanks for the review. I bought this on TG and it's been my dac/amp at work powering up a pair of JVC HAFXT90 since. This is my first headphone amp/dac anything and found it to be irreplaceable as an IEM amp.

It does a really good job with large phones too. I don't quite like it as much with Beyers DT990-pro/880-600 (a bit sterile for my taste) but is sounding great with Hifiman. I am utterly surprised that this little thing can do the HE500 justice (within budget/reason).

My other rig sounds warmer, more textured, better bass control but is about 20x more expensive. (kora pre/greatech amp/audisector dac)

Happy to finally find another review of this dac.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit disappointed with this little device. It doesn't sound terrible by any means and is quite well put together for the price. Refreshingly, the local distributor doesn't impose the dreaded "Australian Tax" as another plus. However, I can't find a use for it in my system. If anything the gain is too much for my ATH-AD700's and I just cannot detect any sound improvement over the headphone socket on my old Acer laptop with either iTunes or high definition flacs from Linn with the Audio Technicas. My AKG Q702's sound flat and lifeless through the D3. Arguably, even my old Sound Blaster HD external sound card does a slightly better job of driving the 702's but both pale against the Lead LA100 which is my go to box for computer audio currently - admittedly twice the price but still reasonable for audio gear. So I'm still lookin' for a truly portable solution for my 702's.

• 1 month later...

Questions: 1. What does this leave on the table compared to higher priced DACs? This is a crucial question. If I spend $400, $800, etc., what more do I get?

2. I love my Audioengine A5+ speakers but was hesitant to get into their DACs because they don't reclock from USB (async). In my experience, even very high end DAC's suffer greatly without USB reclocking. Did you pick up any distortion, which is the hallmark of lack of reclocking?

3. What speakers did you test this with? We need to know how resolving is your test system.

Thanks,

Art

Hey Art,

For the asking price the D3 performs very well. Higher price points will generally get you better overall resolution, dynamics and a heightened sense of air and space, but as with many things in high end audio, 2X, 4X the price rarely projects equal leaps in quality.

There was no noticeable distortion from playback through the device.

Re: #3, See the "associated gear" section after the review.

Questions: 1. What does this leave on the table compared to higher priced DACs? This is a crucial question. If I spend $400, $800, etc., what more do I get?

2. I love my Audioengine A5+ speakers but was hesitant to get into their DACs because they don't reclock from USB (async). In my experience, even very high end DAC's suffer greatly without USB reclocking. Did you pick up any distortion, which is the hallmark of lack of reclocking?

3. What speakers did you test this with? We need to know how resolving is your test system.

Thanks,

Art

• 1 year later...