IGNORED

JPLAY 5.2 released

satbaba

I tried tonight Jplay 5.2 .

http://jplay.eu/download/

My first impression with one word "Fantastic "

I've never heard such a sound in my system so far. I very much liked.

I love my hobby

satbaba --

Had a quick listen to the official JPLAY 5.2 yesterday, and found it sonically extremely convincing. Went from the 5.2 Beta 15alt, and compared to this the official release (apparently based on the Beta 14 version) to me and through my setup sounded ever so slightly darker, yet with a wonderfully natural tone and a bit more well-integrated bass response. Beta 15alt seems more transparent but ultimately is not as coherent as the official 5.2.

Have you made drawn any comparisons between the two, and if so what are your thoughts here? Others are welcome to chime in as well!

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Forgive my ignorance. Am I right to say that this will just plug in to Jriver 19 taking over as the player but leaving Jriver as the library manage and gui?

I use a CAPS 2.0 as my server.

Thanks

Hi rfarris1,

I have written a paper on how to integrate JPLAY5.1 & Jriver 19 using Windows 8.1 that you may find helpful:

http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/Windows_Recommended_Playback_Software_Installation_V1-4.pdf

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

I listened beta 15, beta 15alt, official 5.2 and 5.2 alternativ

I prefer the 5.2 official

sound more organic, more musical, soundstage is wider and deeper into my ears

For a moment thought the Beta 15alt was the same as the "Official" 5.2alt, and maybe they are, but after more listening today my impressions from two days ago of the Official (non-alt) 5.2 are only cemented; extremely coherent, analog/organic, and with a tone/timbre and texture that is very life-like - indeed impressive, and so much so that any incentive to try out the Official 5.2alt (if it's different from Beta 15alt) is all but vanished. Simply musical joy!

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Forgive my ignorance. Am I right to say that this will just plug in to Jriver 19 taking over as the player but leaving Jriver as the library manage and gui?

JPlay should not be used with JRiver. It does nothing to improve the sound and it can cause problems.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

JPlay should not be used with JRiver. It does nothing to improve the sound and it can cause problems.

I, perhaps incorrectly, thought its ASIO was needed for DSD128 up-sampling. Could you please correct me and tell me how to do this with JRiver's settings?

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

You mean like this article shows? JRiver vs JPLAY Test Results - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

jriver --

From your side I can understand the frustration that may arise in the wake of integrating JRiver and JPLAY, and whatever variety of problems this may cause (crashes, etc.). However, why not try and see possibilities and embrace that people are fond of both JRiver and JPLAY, and like to use them integrated? People likely buy JRiver for many different reasons, some of them wanting primarily to use it as library management in conjunction with JPLAY. I for one have had years of enjoyment with JRiver, and will continue to have so (and upgrade) with its many applications (mostly Blu-ray playback, in my case), and actually being able to discern a sonic difference between JRiver and JPLAY (in favor of the latter) the incorporation of JPLAY as a permanent part of my software-setup is a no-brainer.

Your claim, on the other hand, that JPLAY does "nothing to improve the sound" is simply moot. Face it: JPLAY does a wonderful job getting the most of computer-based 2-channel music playback only; you're doing a wonderful job with JRiver delivering high quality on a much broader scale of application use. Is it so hard to fathom, that JPLAY has an edge in the one area they put all their efforts into?

It's $9.99

Here it is on my iPhone 5S. Looks the same on my iPad Air but I'm watching football. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9314[/ATTACH]

Are you saying that whatever is on a laptop for example would be seen on the ipad? If so then this is ideal because the program does not interfere with jriver media player software and it is cheap.

Which ipad remote would you recommend with jriver?

I agree, JRemote is amazing. I have been using it for a long time and recommend you trying it. The only area I think it needs some work is making and editing playlists, but maybe I just need to spend some more time figuring it out.

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

I agree, JRemote is amazing. I have been using it for a long time and recommend you trying it. The only area I think it needs some work is making and editing playlists, but maybe I just need to spend some more time figuring it out.

Scott

Playlists are very easy to build and edit. With J.River 18, JRemote added the function. Add tracks to the play list, and hit the "Action" button up top to save and load. Use the "Edit" button to the right to edit playlists. It all works very well.

Are you saying that whatever is on a laptop for example would be seen on the ipad? If so then this is ideal because the program does not interfere with jriver media player software and it is cheap.

Yes, it's pretty much all you need for daily use. I use a combo of iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air but one can certainly listen and make playlists with it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

jriver --

From your side I can understand the frustration that may arise in the wake of integrating JRiver and JPLAY, and whatever variety of problems this may cause (crashes, etc.). However, why not try and see possibilities and embrace that people are fond of both JRiver and JPLAY, and like to use them integrated? People likely buy JRiver for many different reasons, some of them wanting primarily to use it as library management in conjunction with JPLAY. I for one have had years of enjoyment with JRiver, and will continue to have so (and upgrade) with its many applications (mostly Blu-ray playback, in my case), and actually being able to discern a sonic difference between JRiver and JPLAY (in favor of the latter) the incorporation of JPLAY as a permanent part of my software-setup is a no-brainer.

Your claim, on the other hand, that JPLAY does "nothing to improve the sound" is simply moot. Face it: JPLAY does a wonderful job getting the most of computer-based 2-channel music playback only; you're doing a wonderful job with JRiver delivering high quality on a much broader scale of application use. Is it so hard to fathom, that JPLAY has an edge in the one area they put all their efforts into?

Nicely stated. I've been fighting purchasing JPLAY since version 4, but this latest version is really great. All nonbelievers should give the 5.2 trial version a try.

Nicely stated. I've been fighting purchasing JPLAY since version 4, but this latest version is really great. All nonbelievers should give the 5.2 trial version a try.

Has JPlay ever produced any objective data showing that it is doing something? I'm just asking since there is data on this site that says that it's not doing anything.

JRiver vs JPLAY Test Results - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

Has JPlay ever produced any objective data showing that it is doing something? I'm just asking since there is data on this site that says that it's not doing anything.

JRiver vs JPLAY Test Results - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

They have stated that they aren't doing any funny business if that's what you're getting at.

Personally, I think there's a lot more to sound than what we can measure. I have never used JPLAY and not heard an easily discernible difference in sound. Many times it was not good, hence the reason I don't yet own the software. What I'm hearing from this latest release is very good. I don't need measurements to back that up. If you do, fine.