IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

• 2 weeks later...

4460585-origpic-6bb815.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.jpg

As Robert Von Bahr points out, this is the biggest selling eClassical release ever, so everyone probably has it already, but if you don't, you probably should. $7.31 !!!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet - The Three Suites

A fine performance of Romeo and Juliet here, with the usual fantastic BIS sound quality. The tracks are presented not in the customary order, which is a bit unnerving, but that's easily fixed with a bit of metadata editing. Available in 24/44.1.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

• 5 weeks later...

4439511-origpic-ed902f.jpg

This one includes some of the most famous of Beethoven's piano sonatas, including the Waldstein, the Appassionata and the Cuckoo (one of my favourites). Personally, I feel the modern piano better expresses the power of Beethoven's sonatas, but there is no denying the quality of Brautigam's performance.

- Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Cesar Franck: Sonata for Piano and Violin - Ernest Chausson: Concert

Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov: Cesar Franck, Sonata for Piano and Violin - Ernest Chausson, Concert

This isn't one of the daily deals, but a new release with a promotion of hi-res for the price of standard res.

This is just an outstanding performance IMO, easily the best I have heard of either piece.

- Einstein

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

If you like the Chausson, I also recommend his Piano Trio as being at least as good as the sextet ("Concert"), and the trio might appeal to listeners who prefer lighter instrumentation.  My reference recordings for both Chausson pieces are by Pennetier, Pasquier & Pidoux on Harmonia Mundi (early digital, alas).

A warning for the uninitiated:  The performers on the new recording (including the string quartet) are playing early 19th century instruments, but these are very romantic, late 19th century pieces.

I can see how some people might consider the Chausson sextet too thick and heavy and therefore would prefer the thinner timbres of early instruments.  However, if you enjoy romantic music, you might prefer a full-blooded performance on modern instruments.  (Metal strings were gaining popularity when these pieces were composed, so modern instruments are authentic.)  I'm not criticizing those who enjoy "early" instruments; I'm merely alerting those who don’t.

For the Franck, there is a very famous recording by Oistrakh and Richter.  (Plus a hundred others. It's very popular, even transcribed for cello.)

Well Faust is playing her 1710 Stradivarius, admittedly with gut strings and I believe Melnikov is playing an 1880s érard piano, so quite contemporary with the composition of both works. I wouldn't call the Chausson a sextet - more a sonata for piano and violin, with a string quartet accompanying. Anyway, it works in this performance, to my ears at least. Worth checking out for anyone who can stream Qobuz.

- Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Weber – Overtures

Robert von Bahr, with his characteristic disarming frankness, describes this as "Very nicely played and recorded, but - in my view - not totally exciting music. "

Personally, I beg to differ. This is an excellent album IMO. We must remember that RvB is a man of distinctive music tastes with which we may not all wholeheartedly agree.

- Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

What is it?  Pic is too small and not linked.

Sorry, my bad. I have often complained myself when people do that.

It's The Passion of St Thomas More, by Garrett Fisher: http://www.eclassical.com/composers/fisher-garrett/garrett-fisher-the-passion-of-st-thomas-more.html

Garrett Fisher - The Passion of St. Thomas More

- Einstein