IGNORED

Yes Close to the Edge Steven Wilson pre-order Blu-ray or DVD?

The pre-order is starting to pop up for the Steven Wilson Close to the Edge and will be available in Blu-ray or DVDA. Would the Blu-ray be better to rip to file than the DVDA or are they the same? Thanks!

BTW-what's up with all the Blu-ray Japanese releases like Exile on Main Street? I wonder if those are good or just marketing junk?

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 2 weeks later...

I've answered my own question. The Blu-ray will be 24/192 while the DVD is 24/96. I've already started looking on buying an internal Blu-ray drive so I can rip this to file. I've put it off so far. Plus the Blu-ray of Exile on Main Street is coming out and supposedly is is a flat transfer from master tape at 24/96: Audio is taken from the original master tapes and delivered in 24bit/96 khz with 3 choices of sound format: DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, or PCM - enjoy music as it was heard in the studio

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

The pre-order is starting to pop up for the Steven Wilson Close to the Edge and will be available in Blu-ray or DVDA. Would the Blu-ray be better to rip to file than the DVDA or are they the same? Thanks!

BTW-what's up with all the Blu-ray Japanese releases like Exile on Main Street? I wonder if those are good or just marketing junk?

You really threw me with that one... I thought you were referring to an upcoming release of Steven Wilson covering Yes' Close to the Edge. I was getting pretty excited, but in searching I see that there is a Yes version for pre-release and the Steven Wilson 'The Raven...' on BD.

I have the latter on BD (it's awesome) and I have the former on DVD-A, already ripped, and listen to it via JRMC & HDMI into an AVR in glorious surround sound.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Never mind... that *is* what you are referring to; just took me a while to find the right link. Wow, that's really cool and I am pre-ordering now.

Thanks for the heads-up.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

• 1 month later...

This is in and some have this in their hands. From the pre-talk/hype it is supposed to be killer great and what it's supposed to sound like. Waiting to read more. I bought the AF SACD from a while back and was initially jazzed on it but then just flat. Nada special there. Hope this is the one. I'll wait since maybe it will be available for download?

A ripping question:

I have the Blu-Ray and I'm after the 192 two channel material. Looking at the title list there are only 3 that are exclusively two channel in 192 PCM. Title 7 is America. That's fine. Title 2 is the entire album in one track. I suspect this is the flat transfer. Title 9 contains the three album tracks as chapters. I'm guessing this is the remix.

OK, I know that when I have ripped them and listened it will be obvious which is the remix and which is the flat transfer. I'm just wondering if it is ever possible to guess in advance and if I'm thinking along the right lines?

I would ask Chris. He's discussing just this at the CTTE HDT http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/yes-close-edge-hdtracks-15303/index15.htmldownload discussion thread

Never mind... that *is* what you are referring to; just took me a while to find the right link. Wow, that's really cool and I am pre-ordering now.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Finally received my shipment today. I immediately listened to the included Redbook CD on my 2-channel system, which contains the Steven Wilson mixes. I didn't know the package included a CD - I thought it was just the Blu-ray. All I can say is: Wow. I can't believe how good the Redbook version sounds which affirms for me, yet again, that the quality of the mastering is everything with respect to the playback experience.

For my tastes, CTTE is easily a top 5 album of all time; I've listened to it a zillion times, own the vinyl from when I was a kid, the Steve Hoffman SACD and now the Steven Wilson mix version.

The latter was like hearing it for the first time. Tomorrow, I am going to self-medicate, head downstairs to the surround system and fire-up the Blu-ray.

A ripping question:

I have the Blu-Ray and I'm after the 192 two channel material. Looking at the title list there are only 3 that are exclusively two channel in 192 PCM. Title 7 is America. That's fine. Title 2 is the entire album in one track. I suspect this is the flat transfer. Title 9 contains the three album tracks as chapters. I'm guessing this is the remix.

OK, I know that when I have ripped them and listened it will be obvious which is the remix and which is the flat transfer. I'm just wondering if it is ever possible to guess in advance and if I'm thinking along the right lines?

As far as i know it's not possible to see in advance which version has what track number. Instrumental, needle-drop, new mix, all this tracks are 24/96. So you have to test after ripping the blu ray.

If i read the Steven Wilson website correct, only the flat transfer and America is 24/192. It says "the new stereo album mix in DTS-HD Master Audio (24bit/96khz)". Do you already know which album is connected to which track number?

Ripping: PC with Win7 64bit and dbpoweramp reference | Music: MacMini 2011 | 16GB | Crucial 512GB SSD | Sierra | LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 6TB | La Rosita Beta New with La Rosita iTunes Plug-In | Pioneer BDP-LX88 | Rega RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black | Rega Aria MC/MM | Ayre AX-7e | Ayre Codex | Hifiman HE-400i | Mulidine Cadence |

As far as i know it's not possible to see in advance which version has what track number. Instrumental, needle-drop, new mix, all this tracks are 24/96. So you have to test after ripping the blu ray.

If i read the Steven Wilson website correct, only the flat transfer and America is 24/192. It says "the new stereo album mix in DTS-HD Master Audio (24bit/96khz)". Do you already know which album is connected to which track number?

Yes, you can, with DVD Audio Extractor. See my previous post.

DVDAE will list the tracks and their bit/sample rates and you can select which ones you want to extract from the ripped Blu-ray disc.

Yes, you can, with DVD Audio Extractor. See my previous post.

DVDAE will list the tracks and their bit/sample rates and you can select which ones you want to extract from the ripped Blu-ray disc.

Sure DVDAE will list the tracks. But you're not able to see the track version in advance. There are for example 6 24/96 tracks that contain the complete album. But you don't know which one is the new mix, needle-drop, instrumental etc. It would be nice if the tracks would be labled in some way.

Ripping: PC with Win7 64bit and dbpoweramp reference | Music: MacMini 2011 | 16GB | Crucial 512GB SSD | Sierra | LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 6TB | La Rosita Beta New with La Rosita iTunes Plug-In | Pioneer BDP-LX88 | Rega RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black | Rega Aria MC/MM | Ayre AX-7e | Ayre Codex | Hifiman HE-400i | Mulidine Cadence |

The flat transfers have a higher sample rate (they are the only ones at 192kHz, IIRC).

You can also look at the chapter markers... place the disc in your Blu-ray player, select the track you want from the menu, notice the chapter marker on your BD player.

I am going to rip everything this weekend and will post my findings.

I've been putting off buying a BD drive but now is the time. I want the King Crimson Road to Red as well and the BD's are included.

• 1 year later...

I listened to the Yes DVD reissue last night but of the original mix in 24/96. Man it sounded incredible. Even better than the re-mix.