IGNORED

Recommendations for Buxtehude: Membra Jesu Nostri ?

Did a quick comparison. Both are beautiful. Suzuki, as always, is perfect. I've never heard a recording of him were he didn't do an outstanding job. However, The Sixteen is to my ears even better, bing very intimate and delicate. Both are worth exploring. SQ good in both cases (redbook).

I only have the Suzuki on BIS and René Jacobs on Harmonia Mundi France. Did a quick comparison since I already have the amp warmed up.

The Suzuki is clean and crisp as usual. The perspective is upfront compared to the Jacobs version. But more importantly, the Suzuki has a real choir while the Jacobs only has a bunch of soloists. So the transition between chorus and solo parts are very distinct on the Suzuki version, while in the Jacobs version they flow almost seamlessly from one part to the other within each cantata. To me, the Jacobs approach is much more atmospheric and suites the theme of the work very well. In comparison, the Suzuki approach is almost too clean and powerful.

Looks like the Chandos version is also One Voice Per Part like the Jacobs. It could work very well. Probably worth a try if you must have SACD...

Andy

Thanks for the comments. After more listening I've decided to go with The Sixteen's recording for now. Among other reasons, because I don't find the sopranos grating in any way. I have difficulty with sopranos. Not a very profound reason, especially considering that this piece is a meditation on the body of Christ crucified.