IGNORED

ANOTHER Example of Why I HATE DSD and Why Customers Who Bought Sony's Boloney Are So Annoying

56 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Outside of forums like this, and readers of the Hi Fi printed media, most members of the General Public wouldn't even know what DSD was . Even BluRay appears to be struggling these days.

The same could be said for linear power supplies, more so when applied to computers ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

Let's keep two things separate. Format on distribution media and what you send to the DAC. There's no reason to assume these two have anything to do with each other.

As you know better than any of us, if usable production, mixing and mastering software were available and easily usable in the SDM domain, given that ADC also generally start out so modulated, there would be no reason for PCM. Nonetheless “pro-tools” “Reason” and sampling is likely the source of far more % of popular music than recording. As computers become generally more popular perhaps the need for PCM encoding will be less. Or the information will be modulated into the most convenient format ... 

28 minutes ago, sandyk said:

And your OFF TOPIC point is ? :P

Incidentally, I don't use a Linear PSU in my W10/64 PC.

If I must be literal: SDM is used in 99.9% of current DACS.  I do not know how many SACDs have been sold but they far outnumber all of the esoteric tweaks, linear power supplies and other audiophile things that we do here. SDM is the rule rather than the exception regardless of how music is distributed. 

The average cares nothing about an R2R DAC nor an SACD.

So although no one knows what DSD is, they all use it. For me HATING DSD is like hating logarithms, or the Hilbert space, for example

7 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Does anyone actively market logarithms?

Yes of course — I suspect the current global market for data science products dwarfs recorded music by a long shot. Nonetheless I am merely a consumer — hopefully along the spectrum of an educated one — and I welcome choice in media — I particularly welcome efforts toward media which place importance on great sound. Really the most likely probability is that we will be left with low bitrate MP3 because no one really gives a f*ck.

24 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I particularly welcome efforts toward media which place importance on great sound.

I like to add that I am happy to take whatever format I’m given whether that be feralA encoded PCM or DSD and convert it into the best input format for my DAC using software. That’s the beauty of software. 

13 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Apples and Oranges though - Mojo needs to survive off battery so DSP needs to be limited.

A better comparison (cost and non-portable) is probably i9-9900K build + RME ADI-2 DAC against Chord Hugo TT2 ...

Let's see ... I am currently using my $1700 Dell Xeon W workstation to run @John Dyson's feralA da-avx decoding, and can do this while running HQPlayer with EC modulators at DSD128, similarly can use this machine with RTX 2080 Ti card for CUDA processing as well as games ...  and it doesn't need a new DAC nor headphones amp when I upgrade ...

Now if I were getting a new DAC that Holo May looks very tasty ...

4 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

...But have you seen Hugo TT2's APx555 measurements and headphones output power?

No I'm weird and use a modified FirstWatt J2 as a headphone amp 🙃