IGNORED

DCC Gold Hotel California: is it compressed?

Hello everyone! Does anybody here have the DCC Gold CD of the Eagles' Hotel California? If so, I have a quick question: is it compressed? Looking at the DR Database, it would seem so, compared with the original 80s discs. But, does anybody have any additional info or thoughts?

I'm asking because I'm interested in buying that disc if it isn't compressed at all.

Thanks.

I would say that it doesn't sound compressed. It's one of the best sounding DCC disc I own. I'm not making this claim based on numbers, but on listening to this disc hundreds of times.

Digital: QNAP TVS-871 > Sonore ultraRendu > Modwright Oppo 205

Analog: VPI Prime w/Kiseki Purpleheart > Zesto Audio Andros 1.2

Amp & Speakers: Modified Line Magnetic 518ia > Daedalus Audio Argos v.2

Backbone: PS Audio P5, Wireworld Silver Electra 7 powercords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects, Steve Blinn Designs Audio Rack

Steve Hoffman has said that he never uses digital compression. But he did use some analogue tricks to give the DCC series the warm sound.

Also the two Eagles DCC are the only ones where he used lots of EQ. I do not remember the entire explanation (you can probably google it), but something about the original mixes used some special studio monitors, which he had to buy in order to replicate the sound.

Hotel California DCC sounds fantastic. Quite expensive, but worth it if you like the Eagles.

Also if you would like to know more, I suggest you visit stevehoffman.tv and search in the forums.