IGNORED

Owners of Keith Jarrett's Sun Bear Concerts - If You Would Be Kind Enough

I unknowingly purchased a used bootleg copy of this box set. The seller refunded my money completely. Supposedly unknowing of the counterfeit. I'm looking for someone who owns this box set, who would be kind enough to post a clear photo of one of the discs so I would have an authentic image with which to compare a future purchase. I'm going for a used set due to my budget. Thanks

Here is an image of the bootleg one that are now floating around... perhaps beneficial to others:

SunBear2.jpg

P1060914.jpg

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)

I purchased these through a reputable jazz music dealer out of Flordia. Paid $90 or so. My disc is identical to yours. the box set came with a booklet that was informative. The CD cases are white, like yours. Maybe the disc is valid or we both have counterfeit. You could post a picture of the box it came in, mine was produced out of Japan, with Japanese lettering in the middle. Let us know if there is a sound quality difference between the sets you acquire.

I purchased these through a reputable jazz music dealer out of Flordia. Paid $90 or so. My disc is identical to yours. the box set came with a booklet that was informative. The CD cases are white, like yours. Maybe the disc is valid or we both have counterfeit. You could post a picture of the box it came in, mine was produced out of Japan, with Japanese lettering in the middle. Let us know if there is a sound quality difference between the sets you acquire.

Kevalin,

There is no question that the center CD is a bootleg. There is even a misspelled word on it, which is generally a tip off for bootleg. The two discs left and right to it are authentic ECM discs from two different recordings of Keith Jarrett. ECM takes great pride in its products... their product very distinct... and each of those discs share similar etching and label engraving techniques - very different from the one in the middle. There is even a similarity in serial coding of the ECM recording. Look how bright and shiny the middle disc is - none of my 2 dozen ECM have that gloss finish. Here is another photo. My understanding of the Sun Bear Concerts is that though it was recorded in Japan, they were produced and manufactured out of ECM in Germany. I have already sent the box set back to the seller for a refund. There were just too many elements that were suspicious and too heavy-handed for an ECM product. The jewel box was even cheap looking. SunBear1.jpg

PS. I know nothing of the recordings produced out of Japan.

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)

You are correct, the box set I have was produced out of Germany. I did not have it infront of me at the time of the posting. I seem to have the same set as you do. The cd is definately cheap, with defects in the reflecting coatings. What was the spelling error you came across. I may see if my seller will refund my unit or find a valid copy.

You are correct, the box set I have was produced out of Germany. I did not have it infront of me at the time of the posting. I seem to have the same set as you do. The cd is definately cheap, with defects in the reflecting coatings. What was the spelling error you came across. I may see if my seller will refund my unit or find a valid copy.

Kevalin,

The misspelling is in the word "unauthorized" along the edge of the disc which states the copy law. In the bootleg copy they spell unauthorized with an "s" rather than a "z". Also you will notice that the round center cut out in the bootleg copy is not smooth or clean. You will also see no other ECM disc that is that shiny.. they all have dull finish... and the etching of the letter is done in two distinct tones.

Alex

Kevalin,

The misspelling is in the word "unauthorized" along the edge of the disc which states the copy law. In the bootleg copy they spell unauthorized with an "s" rather than a "z".

FYI

unauthorised is usually spelled with a "z" in american and with a "s" in english.

None are a misspellings - it's just different languages, and this difference is found i many words.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

FYI

unauthorised is usually spelled with a "z" in american and with a "s" in english.

None are a misspellings - it's just different languages, and this difference is found i many words.

Yes, I understand, but all ECM recordings spell unauthorized with a "z" and not an "s"... and I have about 40 albums by ECM. And ECM is company based in Europe... in Munich... and they, too, spell uauthorized with the "z". So in terms of the ECM label, it is misspelled.

Alex

Yes, however my other ECM discs are the same as 27globes print/font type and disc quality. The Sun Bear Concerts are of a different lesser quality. The other ECM discs have 'authoriZed' on their discs.

I want to try to get a photograph of a legit disc of sun bear so that I can have it as a reference point. I was hoping this post would produce one.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I have an original boxed set, which I purchased directly from the ECM online shop last year. Here's a quick photo of the first disc:

2013-07-20 08.33.44.jpg

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Hi Alex,

I have an original boxed set, which I purchased directly from the ECM online shop last year. Here's a quick photo of the first disc:

Jerico,

This is great of you to do. And very appreciated. Thank you. If time allows would appreciate photo of the jewel case and the box itself. This has allowed me to now post a comparison between the original directly from ECM and what I consider to be a bootleg. I stand corrected that the authorized is spelled with an "s" rather than a "z", but there are other obvious differences between them.

GenuinevsBootleg.jpg

For example:

• The etching process is far more refined in the original. Especially when you look at the inscription on the edges of the disc.
  • The discs themselves are different. The orignal the standard satin finish on an ECM CD, while the bootleg is glossy.
  • If you look closely and compare the center cut outs of each disc, take note how the bootleg is rough edged in areas.
  • On the Bootleg copy, the ECM logo looked as if the print had been overlayed onto the disc and more heavy-handed. While in the orignal the ECM lettering is flat and clearly etched into the disc.

GenuinevsBootleg.jpg

Alex

Hi again, Alex - here are a few more shots (again, of the first disc). Sorry for the shoddy image quality - my phone's camera isn't all that great.

2013-07-20 19.26.03.jpg

2013-07-20 19.21.56.jpg

2013-07-20 19.26.36.jpg

And here is the box itself.

2013-07-20 19.33.49.jpg

2013-07-20 19.34.02.jpg

@jerico

Thank you so much. This is very kind and generous of you.

Alex

And here is the box itself.

What color would you say the box is? It isn't showing up in the photo? if you would...

Alex

Hi again, Alex - here are a few more shots (again, of the first disc). Sorry for the shoddy image quality - my phone's camera isn't all that great.

With phone cameras I find it is best to shoot with daylight... even with as good a camera as the iPhone has

Alex

The box looks just like the pic - light greyish. You can also see the color (sorta) on the ECM website.

The box looks just like the pic - light greyish. You can also see the color (sorta) on the ECM website.

Thanks very much again, Jerico. The coloring always depends to some degree on your monitor. At ECM site, the box looks like a light sage in color on my Mac Desktop :) And the bootleg outer box I received was closer to tan. I have to admit I give more credit to the rip-off than I initially did. If you weren't that familiar with ECM discs and the quality of their CD production and packaging, you wouldn't think twice. It's not a real popular album but for those of us who are big fans of his Jarrett's solo work and given the going price for the box set, your contribution is a big assist.

Alex

Happy to help.

Hope you find a legit copy at a good price - it's a great set.

Happy to help.

Hope you find a legit copy at a good price - it's a great set.

I'm a big fan of his work... and from the excerpts I have heard... it sounds wonderful.

Alex