IGNORED

Active speaker setup

I'm seriously considering an active speaker setup.

I enjoy the convenience of a traditional preamp, or integrated amp + speakers in my case, in that it allows me to have multiple devices connected that can be easily controlled with a single remote.

However there seems to be a lot to be gained soundwise with an active setup.

I'm currently using a SB Touch > various DACs (USB and S/PDIF) > Nait 5i > Proac Studio 115 monitors.

Could anybody suggest a convenient active setup that would significantly improve on this soundwise.

I'm willing to stretch my budget a bit and would also like a HP jack.

To say significantly improve on your sound I don't know. You have a pretty good core of a system with the Nait and Proac though you don't specify your DACs do you feel they are up to the quality of your core system? I can say I am very pleased with my set up which uses the T+A DAC 8 with Dynaudio Focus 110A powered monitors. If you go this route you will want to be aware of the quality and implementation of the volume control in your DAC/controller (preamp) unit. I have plenty of digital source inputs on the T+A to meet but needs but there is no analog input which might be a consideration for your needs. I think most DAC used in this manner only have digital inputs. After one year of this type of system I have thought a couple of times whether I would consider going back to a more traditional set up but for me the answer has been no. I have been very satisfied with the sound quality and functionality. I like what I consider a lean and clean system set up.

i should tell you Chris has written a review on the T+A on this site and though I would honestly say it was not the most glowing review I loved my unit before he published his opinion and I think just as highly of it after. There are lots of good options out there, really too many for one person or at least for me to know and comment on.

P.S. ...and the T+A does have the HP jack you seek.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

What IS your budget?

You need to find some way to demo to decide if the costs involved give you the satisfaction your desire...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Here is the system I'm using:

SB Touch > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Airmotiv 6

I couldn't be happier with this simple system. I previously used a Peachtree DAC-It together with a passive preamp but wanted a more convenient solution for volume control. The XDA-2's analog volume control stage provided this.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I was considering the Naim DAC-V1 until I heard it. For the price it was a disappointment and has no analog inputs. My current DACs (EE Minimax, Ciunas, Beresford) are OK but aren't well suited to be used as a preamp.

I was thinking more along the lines of a good traditional preamp with HP jack + GOOD active speakers.

Emotiva, Audioengine, Vanatoo seem to be getting a lot of positive comments but are way below my budget. Are they really that good or just really good value?

I was looking more in the 4k range for speakers and preamp.

Emotiva, Audioengine, Vanatoo seem to be getting a lot of positive comments but are way below my budget. Are they really that good or just really good value?

If you are in the U.S., you can try the Emotiva products for 30 days and see what you think. You may end up being able to spend some of your budget on more music.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

If you are in the U.S., you can try the Emotiva products for 30 days and see what you think. You may end up being able to spend some of your budget on more music.

Unfortunately I'm not in the U.S. BB have the Audioengines which might give me an idea of what a budget active setup would sound like.

Local shops carry Dynaudio, PMC, Paradigm and most of the pro stuff like Genelec, Adam, ATC, Blue Sky, Neumann...

I don't want anything that's too analytical or too industrial looking.

Morgan rms11 looks really interesting but not available locally either.

If you want to try something inexpensive, but decent sounding try the Blue Sky EXO2. Should be available. The EXO2 is reliable also.

The gives you a 2.1 system and integrated volume control. Accepts single ended or balanced inputs.

I you do not like it, you can either sell or use with a desktop system.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.