IGNORED

Article: Linn Akurate DSM Review

Looking at the rear panel, there are a few worth noting you don't see on many other amps.

The roof covers the connection points, so dust falling on the connection points is minimised, and I guess some moisture to an extent, that's a good idea. Connections can be forgotten for many years on end if the equipment is not regularly pulled out from the rack and the rear connectors wiped and cleaned. The folds though are perhaps 18-20 gauge steel, and there are gaps, not quite the finish I would expect from the money wanted.

Rare to see on hi-fi gear, as opposed to AVR are outputs as well as inputs for coax and Toslink. If you do have an external DAC, the outputs are a welcome.

Why six or so HDMI inputs, I guess if you pay $30k a year to use the technology, may as well make the most of it. If you don't have an AVR, I would hope that the HDMI would pass through video from a BD player to a TV. As for serious audio use though HDMI is still to get out of the starting blocks.

No internet radio, given network capability, I guess that can come from a NAS uPNP perhaps and render through this device. Or use PC with media access which leads to the next paragraph.

The largest failing for this unit though is there's no USB input, so no chance of direct PC hook-up, then again if you're stubborn Brit, the design stays as it is, and no PC shall come near! Out with the crucifix!!

Or you have to buy a USB-SPDIF converter, which brings a discussion to find the DSD logo, sort of a where's wally competition to start. Perhaps in the next model, to compete with the Marantz NA-11s1. That's some piece of kit to contend with.

$8500, wow. There would be serious competition out there for that kind of performance, if it is in your face or not.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

To 1.5... (sorry for the short hand) the Linn does have Internet Radio.

The HDMI can definitely pass video and will also extract the front two channels and pass the Center and rear to a separate processor (for LPCM feeds).

Eloise

That information makes a little more sense, thanks Eloise. I only read the review at CA missed that detail which I didn't verify at the manufacturer's site. Further details missed in the review and (among the missing) USB connector, the Analog preamp section, mentioned by others.

• 4 years later...

There's a major revision to the Akurate DS/DSM announced this month.

Full support for Roon

From a little earlier in the year:

Latest Katalyst build supports DSD64, 128 via network and outputs through the analog outs only.

Katalyst can be retro-fitted to existing Linn players built several years ago, not a bad way to upgrade, highly commendable.