IGNORED

Emotiva airmotiv 6 versus Stealth 6

I am in the process of choosing active speakers and while my dream speakers are some of the PMC series, I am strongly considering the Emotiva airmotiv 6 or their Stealth 6. Has any one performed a listening comparison between these two speakers? They will be placed in a smallish apartment so not really near field. They will be run from my Macbook Pro through a Nuforce uDAC2, until I further develop my system (living/working in China; main system stays in Berkeley). I hope to get an exasound e20 or Benchmark DAC2, etc., before long, but these speakers would already give me a big forward.

Considering the Adam A7x as well, but would prefer these less expensive options (airmotiv 6 $599 per pair; Stealth 6 $469 single speaker).

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Not exactly a reply, but I've been testing the Emotiva Airmotiv 5 vs. the Audioengine A5+ for a secondary system, also not really as near-field, but for a small-ish space.

And at this point, it's pretty clear to me that the Airmotiv 5 has more richness and depth than the A5+ using the same source (Audirvana Plus > Meridian Explorer DAC > speakers).

For example, while the Airmotiv doesn't do deeper bass, of course, it stays clear, not muddy, down as far as it goes. And vocals are compelling, which matters to me a lot.

Isn't the Stealth 6 designed specifically for near field?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The AirMotiv 5 & 6 is better than the Audioengine A5/A5+ (IMO).

I would agree with Cycleman, they are clearer and have better layering/depth.

The Audioengine has more bass impact but is muddy and somewhat over the top.

Personally i have owned both the Steath & Airmotiv 6, but my preference leans more towards the Airmotiv 6 for near and mid-field listening. The stealth isn't as enjoyable to my ears.

However, i would say that the Adamn Audio A7X is slightly better for a little more.

You'll gain some minor improvements if you decide to change the stock 5mm metallized polyester coupling film capacitors to polypropylene film & foil. I've also went and changed internal wiring to UP-OCC Silver along with replacing stock MICON brand electrolytic capacitors with Elna Silmic II.

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Thanks for the answers and valued opinions. I have ruled out the Audioengine 5+ since the demo I heard was too light on the bass.

In regard to the airmotiv speakers, I believe the this company makes them for Emotiva:

?? QMS Q5 Q4 MH5A MIDI DAC HIFI ?

And since they are for my apartment in Shanghai, I have thought of buying direct for a slightly less expensive price. Doe anyone know if Emotiva makes some improvements on the airmotiv 6 that would improve the sound? Of course the warranty issue would have me lean toward buying from Emotiva, but the made China, shipped to the US, then brought back to China issue makes somewhat less sense. The cost difference is about $50 for the pair of airmotiv 6.

Thanks for the answers and valued opinions. I have ruled out the Audioengine 5+ since the demo I heard was too light on the bass.

In regard to the airmotiv speakers, I believe the this company makes them for Emotiva:

?? QMS Q5 Q4 MH5A MIDI DAC HIFI ?

And since they are for my apartment in Shanghai, I have thought of buying direct for a slightly less expensive price. Doe anyone know if Emotiva makes some improvements on the airmotiv 6 that would improve the sound? Of course the warranty issue would have me lean toward buying from Emotiva, but the made China, shipped to the US, then brought back to China issue makes somewhat less sense. The cost difference is about $50 for the pair of airmotiv 6.

I wouldn't say that they're "light in bass", as they actually perform better in bass than many studio monitors I've auditioned.

It's only suited for a "FUN' sound signature and if you don't like having that sound all the time, it would be better grab something more studio like the Adam Audio A7X or Emotiva AirMotiv*.

At stock, the A5/A5+ does not give enough impact feel, and punchy is a little loss/uncontrolled.

This was the mod that i created awhile back to improve the sound, but in the end, i still preferred a stock Airmotiv 6 over the ramped up A5. : Audioengine A5+ Speaker Upgrades

Studio monitors are without a doubt more clear and 3 dimensional.

The main key point is the lifelike analog sound from the improved layering/depth and how it presents it. Basically saying, the separation of instruments if amazing. Bass may not be all that you want because your amplifier will play a large part in this. For example, i switched from JDS Labs ObjectiveDAC/Schiit Bifrost/ASUS Essence One MUSES to Schiit Gungnir and now the bass has gone up by at least 40%. If you get one of the monitors and like bass, it's preferred to have an amp that is a little bass heavy (but tight).

Emotiva said that those were copies and both the sound and internal parts used differed. Who knows for sure really.

If it were me, i'd spend $50 more and grab the Emotiva and get assured with warranty. You might not even be able to contact that other place, so that $50 spent could save you from some headaches.

All in all, the parts inside the Emotiva Airmotiv 6 are sourced from China anyway. I see Micon capacitors, yellow and blue cheap polyester film capacitors, and many XLR input connectors that are off-brands. This is why i modify every unit that i buy, it is a good way to waste some time on a hobby and improve the sound or lifespan of the speakers (capacitor replacement wise).

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Thanks again, Timothy. One of the reasons I wanted active speakers was to avoid the need to have an amp and speaker cables on my system in China. If you are using your amp, why did you not go with passive speakers, where the choices are much larger?

Active speakers are quite nice indeed, i really do hate the use of speaker cables.

If you are located in China, you can save some money by going with the QMS brand, however i still suggest the Adam A7X as they are superior.

The reason why i went with powered speakers is due to my set-up.

It composes of a DAC/PRE-AMP and headphone amplifier (Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir).

Passive speakers would sound better due to more internal room, it will undoubtedly improve on dampening.

Hope you end up deciding on a speaker.

Make sure to not forget about improving your transport.

I recommend using a USB to SPDIF converter with your Peachtree DAC to lower some jitter as optical is not very good choice.