IGNORED

Yes - Relayer • HDtracks

"I've heard people rave about Steve Wilson's remix work, but haven't heard any myself. To me, original mixes, especially with classics, is like a photograph from those times. The mindset of everybody involved back then, that shines through in the end product. Remixes invariably sound sterile to me, and/or not in the spirit of the times."

I have heard the King Crimson titles which have been re mixed by Stephen Wilson, and then re mastered and captured at 24/96. In all cases i prefer the re mixes to the original mix, but I understand the desire for histories sake, to prefer the original mix. I would suggest that SW does honour the original mix, and does not make huge changes just to sound "different". Also note, in the case of the KC stuff, it is very likely that the original multi track tapes were in better shape than the two track master tapes, allowing for better sound from the re mix. Also note, that a re mix can now be done with less added distortion and noise (at least for a digital release) by doing everything in the digital realm. Of course, the re mix is only going to be as good as the engineer and his tastes. And, for the KC re mixes, KC leader Robert Fripp has been involved in the entire process and approves all re- mixes personally.

Honestly, I think the classic Yes catalog could benefit from the same treatment. I am going to download Relayer now, love that album, but I am a little perturbed that some are suggesting it is a little bright, that album does not need added brightness.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 months later...

It's highly subjective. Relayer is my favourite Yes album and one of my all time favourite albums. There have been some dire efforts on CD down the years and although pumped up, the Rhino remaster was my favourite. The arrangements are so dense and complex that a bit of dynamic range compromise didn't seem to make much difference. IMO the SHM-CD is not a good outing, or at least not a jump over the Rhino version. I suppose it depends on your taste, ears and system/room. So who knows?

The 24bit versions from HDT render this moot. Relayer is an album which is never going to be resolved into transparent clarity but the HiRes version (I've got the 192) produces more detail and insight into the arrangements and playing than I ever knew existed.

Who knows what might be possible if Steve Wilson ever gets his hands on it? But this is jumping the gun because although his up coming CTTE is anticipated with much optimism, we haven't heard it yet.

For what that's worth.

"I've heard people rave about Steve Wilson's remix work, but haven't heard any myself. To me, original mixes, especially with classics, is like a photograph from those times. The mindset of everybody involved back then, that shines through in the end product. Remixes invariably sound sterile to me, and/or not in the spirit of the times."

I couldn't agree more.

Main system: Meridian GO6, Squeezebox touch, Marantz TT15S1, Cambridge 640p, Oppo DV980H, Wyred4Sound ST 1000 + Cyrus PreXVS, ATC SCM19, Panasonic Plasma TH37PX80B.

Junior system: Meridian 506, Squeezebox 3, Oppo DV980H, Cambridge DacMagic, Bel Canto S300iU, ProAc Tablette 50, Panasonic TH42U30B.

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/chevvies/library/?sort=3&page=1

The 24bit versions from HDT render this moot. Relayer is an album which is never going to be resolved into transparent clarity but the HiRes version (I've got the 192) produces more detail and insight into the arrangements and playing than I ever knew existed.

I have a UK first pressing (A1/B1) of this on vinyl. It's stunning in most respects - particularly side 2 which is pretty darn close to having the best sound I've heard from any Yes album. Sound Chaser is just about perfect.

I will likely get around to grabbing the HDTracks version eventually as I have a problem when it comes to Yes.

Not yet getting the excitement over Steve Wilson, as I haven't been blown away by his KC remixes. I will keep an open mind though.

Now playing my DSD rip of the UK Relayer LP. This is going to be really tough to beat. They did an amazing job with this LP.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Back in the day when Relayer was released Jon Anderson said the band was really unhappy with how it was mastered. He said it was one thing in the studio and what ended up on the album was another. I believe that was in Rolling Stone. Also the US versions were warp happy affairs. A great album and I've always hoped someone (that now would be Steven Wilson) would be able to squeeze out what they heard in studio.

I've got all the Wilson KC and the remixes are all better to my ears. If you've got to have the flat transfer its there too. That goes for the Tull and ELP issues he's done as well (really too bad he didn't get to do Brain Salad-my favorite ELP which could be epic given the latest mastering).

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I regard Wilson's credentials impeccable after what he did to Aqualung. It was one of those "ah! so this is how it sounds" moments. Warrior On The Edge Of Time followed through for me and has given me great confidence that CTTE will be worth having a punt on. But realistically, all bets are off until you hear it. Same as it's always been. I agree that down the years Relayer on CD has been average to abysmal compared to how it sounded on vinyl, as has much of their catalogue. With the benefit (now, that reminds me of something else I'm keenly anticipating!) of hindsight you can go from vinyl straight to HiRes with Yes. Little produced over CD's life span was memorable for the right reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick bump to verify the sonic excellence if this HDtracks version :)

Main system: Meridian GO6, Squeezebox touch, Marantz TT15S1, Cambridge 640p, Oppo DV980H, Wyred4Sound ST 1000 + Cyrus PreXVS, ATC SCM19, Panasonic Plasma TH37PX80B.

Junior system: Meridian 506, Squeezebox 3, Oppo DV980H, Cambridge DacMagic, Bel Canto S300iU, ProAc Tablette 50, Panasonic TH42U30B.

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/chevvies/library/?sort=3&page=1

And not wishing to pull it sideways by miles, but having just obtained and been hugely impressed with Wilson's treatment of Benefit in 24/96, I see no reason why we should not be highly optimistic about CTTE. At least in principle. More Yes reworkings are hinted at but I expect that Relayer will be some way down that list, assuming there even is a list. It never hurts to hope though.