IGNORED

24/88.2 Now Downloadable From Boston Symphony Orchestra

And I note that the 88.2 kHz encoding goes for $9.99, only a $1 premium over what they charge for MP3 format.

Registering now.

Downloading Mahler's 6th... So, the download manager could be a little more polished. Let's see, first it wants you to select where the files get downloaded. Right. Hmm, but now it's not displaying any progress measures, but looking at the network traffic it does seem like it is downloading. I think the display feature is just not quite there. Fingers crossed.

Really very excited that they're doing this.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Overall this was a smooth transaction and I think their web platform is solid. The only snag I encountered was that the download manager window did not display download status -- until I refreshed the applet window. The instructions at some steps could have been a little better.

However, no problems. I registered, purchased, and downloaded the files without interruption. The files show up in iTunes at the advertised 88.2 kHz and these crank in at 4233 kbps. And since it is aiff, there is the convenience that all the tags and artwork are already sorted out. That's nice.

Ah, vacation's over, so off to work now. And apparently this is the week where we're getting beautiful Spring weather. Definitely a Mahler listening session tonight.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Thanks for the tip. I am downloading German Requeim as I typed this. After the initial hiccup with firefox, now everything is going well with IE. Hmmm... another reason to keep IE around on my computer, I suppose.

This is really good news. I was disappointed with Chicago Symphony for choosing HDtracks as its vendor for its high rez download as it pretty much exclude sale outside the US. I hope more major orchestra will offer high rez download from its live recording.

• 1 year later...

These don't come out very often, but this latest recording is by their Boston Symphony Chamber Players. This is a smaller group of course and the recording is very clear with solid 'sound image'. I got the AIFF version at 88.2kHz.

Very recommendable at $9.99 !

Title: Plain Song, Fantastic Dances: Chamber Music By American Composers

RELEASE: 01/19/2011

DURATION: 61:59 (mm:ss)

http://www.bso.org/bso/shop/audioDetail.jsp;jsessionid=EI3SWHE1DN0KICTFQMGCFEQ?pid=prod3880159&area=&_requestid=158051

edit: They are now using a much better download manager -- worked like a charm.

And you can even listen to The Red Sox Album at at 24 bit/88.2kHz. How cool is that?

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)