IGNORED

Damn The Torpedoes blu-ray audio: mono?

I got the Damn The Torpedoes blu-ray audio recently. It was supposed to come with a download of the audio but for some reason the label discontinued that, so I'm trying to extract audio from the BD. I have DVDAE (latest version) but after analyzing the tracks the only choice is for mono. On the back of the package it specifically states the audio is stereo but I don't know that the people writing that text know what they're talking about.

I don't mind mono but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. Anyone know for sure one way or the other?

I got the Damn The Torpedoes blu-ray audio recently. It was supposed to come with a download of the audio but for some reason the label discontinued that, so I'm trying to extract audio from the BD. I have DVDAE (latest version) but after analyzing the tracks the only choice is for mono. On the back of the package it specifically states the audio is stereo but I don't know that the people writing that text know what they're talking about.

I don't mind mono but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. Anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Hi jtk,

DVDAE shows a track in the selected list which is only a few seconds in length (presumably digital silence) which is being detected as mono, which forces the program to mono-only mode. If you de-select that track, you will get the stereo option.

Trevor

• 1 year later...

This title was among the most sonically disappointing of anything I've downloaded from HDTracks. If there's a much better version I might be interested.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This title was among the most sonically disappointing of anything I've downloaded from HDTracks. If there's a much better version I might be interested.

The 5.1 track on the Blu Ray audio is fantastic...much, much better than the stereo (which I also found disappointing).

I ripped the 5.1 from my Blu Ray and converted the files to stereo using Foobar2000.

I've got the 1979 MCA 1501 # LP Backstreet Records was so good in it's day, but the best release so far is the 2010 Deluxe Edition 180g Vinyl Double LP pressed from the original analog tapes by Original Recordings Group. Haven't tried the blueray. The HD tracks attempt is poor at best as compared to the two choices I own.

The Truth Is Out There

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's disappointing to hear about the HDtracks version. This is one of my favorite albums. Sadly, no BluRay player for me.

I have the bluray downloadable file and it is awesome on the right setup. It is less compressed than earlier versions - so it needs a big system with relatively high SPL to sound like it should.

Petty uses ATC speakers and so does Ryan (sound engineer) for what they produce. In concert they use the new EAW Anya groundbreaking digitally controlled multidirectional speaker setup. (New technology since July this year).

BTW Hypnotic Eye album is one of his best sounding - up there with Wildflowers!

Jimmy Iovine produced Damn the Torpedoes - so some distortion was probably on the master tapes anyway as Jimmy gave it a real punchy urgent sound - especially the drums (they spent weeks getting the drums sounding right)

This is one artist that is serious about sound quality and uses only the very best of the best. If it doesn't sound good then It might be worth checking your setup!

Other than the mono/stereo issue, how does this disc sound, especially compared to the MFSL?

The blu Ray version stereo download is 96Khz 24 bit and it is a lot better than MFSL (I have both)

I think the MFSL version was not one of their best. MFSL Full Moon Fever was good (better than Greatest hits which is a bit over impressed on the tracks lifted from Full Moon Fever)

Anyway I am listening now and It is not even close. Like a veil is lifted. A huge improvement on the right setup with the stereo version that came with the bluray.

Unfortunately I never bothered with the 5.1 mix which is supposed to be good but I am kind of a purist and I can't be bothered to mess around with a bluray player for those few titles I have in 5.1. (A concert is another thing and I enjoy spending 90 minutes to watch a concert in 5.1)

Since this is probably a thread followed by those with at least a passing interest in Tom Petty - just to add that the five CD box set of live anthology is amazingly good audio quality.

Also the bluray Live at Soundstage is also amazingly good sound.

I'd recommend these to anyone interested at all in Tom Petty.

If you think Petty sound is disappointing compared to impressive productions like Trevor Horn or Alan Parsons did then you have to remember Petty likes his albums to sound like he does live and not a total exploration of the possibilities of polished audio production like Pink Floyd Roger Waters and many others who make amazing soundscapes...

If you think Petty sound is disappointing compared to impressive productions like Trevor Horn or Alan Parsons did then you have to remember Petty likes his albums to sound like he does live and not a total exploration of the possibilities of polished audio production like Pink Floyd Roger Waters and many others who make amazing soundscapes...

I'm mostly interested in if the 24/96 download(s) of Damn the Torpedoes are a worthy upgrade over the original CD.

I'm mostly interested in if the 24/96 download(s) of Damn the Torpedoes are a worthy upgrade over the original CD.

Yes it is a worthy upgrade but if the download link is no longer working then you are stuck with using a BD player unless you can hack it and extract the PCM files of the 2 channel stereo...