IGNORED

Adam A7x digital newbie review

Yes, it's my main system.

I've sold my Dynaudio & Bryston.

That's great now I can pick your brain?!

Whats your rig setup? I'll make a incremental upgrade next year maybe to the SX's. My dream monitors are the Masterstack by Barefoot Audio. Maybe to get closer to them i might upgrade to the M35's next.

How do you like the A3X-V?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Headphones: Hifiman HE-500//Portable:iPhone 4>Sennheiser MM 100bt}

You can come here, at the sea, to listen S3X-V: I don't have anything as indicated by you :)

Did you have verified how were settled all front panel controls?

Well maybe I was a little tranchant in my post! I just had a quick listen at a local dealer (luckym., you know it, Esprit). Not my music, didn't check the front panel controls, positioning was wrong, etc., and by the way they were the Adam S3X-H not -V.

So I'll just go back to the shop with my reference files and I'll ask for a serious listening session! Maybe I'll completely change my mind...

I also listened to the PMC twotwo.6 on top of the Adam and ATC SCM16 (see pictures) that impressed me the most with really lively sound and punchy bass.

And by the way Esprit, I saw in one room the Unity Audio The Boulder... :)

foto 1.JPG

foto 2.JPG

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

How do you like the A3X-V?

Hi Swansong,

the Adam S3X-V are excellent active speakers and should definitely be considered by anybody in the marked around this price point. Some people do not like the excellent Heil tweaters, probably because they will translate any digital harshness your DAC produces, the monitor is not very forgiving. Transients very clear. These monitors are extremely resolving, probably the best in their class, midrange presentation very accurate, voices very natural. Bass is good, but not quite as good as midrange and ART tweeter, lacks a bit of precision, room treatment helps as usual.

You should have a very good DAC to drive them properly, the Mytek 192 DSD or the T+A DAC8 are good matches to my eyes.

Also consider the newly released Neumann KH 310 which replaced the old rival Klein&Hummel o300. These speakers are available in lots of RAL colours, always a plus if design counts.

I use W4S DAC2 with my ADAMS and I'm very happy with the result.

The term "revealing" has been used often to describe the ADAMS, so trying different DAC's is highly recommended.

PS; obvious suggestion for any component to be honest ;)

MacPro Xeon/Audirvana-ITunes/USB/W4S DAC2 SE/ADAM Delta

These monitors are extremely resolving, probably the best in their class, midrange presentation very accurate, voices very natural. Bass is good, but not quite as good as midrange and ART tweeter, lacks a bit of precision, room treatment helps as usual.
+1

I am considering whether to buy one or more sub and cut the wf or change product (Unity Audio The Boulder ...). :)

Thanks for the pics! With all those monitors I guess the performance to price ratio is important, that what lead me to Adam. It's not always the best sounding but what value in comparison becomes important. You should do a mini shootouts nexttime you visit?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

+1

I am considering whether to buy one or more sub and cut the wf or change product (Unity Audio The Boulder ...). :)

I was doing some critical listening this weekend and single subs do break the soundstage placement. I was playing some 45rpm 24/96 recordings with exact instrument placement right in the pocket and then the bass player goes through the scales and for that split second soundstage is ruined. I immediately thought two subs are in my future too. I know a correctly setup sub disappears and mine do too but during critical listening with the best recordings instrument location should not move at all. I guess I'm entering that spectrum of audiophile bliss and curse because my ears are picking up more and more subtle details. This is not a slam on subs though I always have and will use subs but now I understand why stereo subs are famously used in music only setups.

• 4 weeks later...
Is this really great with Adam A7x ? just a bit confuse how it works...

Is what great? What setup do you use or considering ?

• 2 months later...

I am currently using the stock power cords and replaced the fuses with 220V fuses (glass, not ceramic as came with the system for 120V). Any experiences and suggestions about upgraded power cords and "audiophile" fuses and their effect on SQ would be appreciated.

From the Middle Kingdom.....

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star