IGNORED

Virgin In The Use Of Smart Playlist And Enjoying My Music

Thinking of myself as a fairly knowledgeable iTunes user I think it is probably quite amazing that until a few days ago I never used Smart Playlists before. I have now created quite a few and abandoned the Playlist I had created and maintained manually. All this leads to a simple comment in how much really good music I have to enjoy and how much really good music I haven't listened too in so long.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
My Iphone for example only get's fed with Music I havent listened to in the last 3 months, thanks to a smart playlist, ensuring some rotation there.

That is basically one of the Smart Playlist I have used

Frank Zappa

The other major use of smart playlists for me is with ratings. For my Jazz collection I'm on the way to rate every single track (about 50% done). I'm much less album focused with Jazz than with some other genres, so I use playlists like:

Keith Jarrett Piano Trio tracks with >4stars rating

Contemporary Jazz later than 1990 with 5stars rating

Hard Bop 1955-1965 with >4stars rating

I can see the possibility are endless. Really don't know why I never looked at them before. Currently I have some fairly easy lists set up for music released in various decades, albums released by audiophile labels such as MFSL, DCC etc, a zero play list which by it set up and the way these functions automatically pairs a track from the list when played, genres, and one based on dynamic range (DR14 and above - which took a little retagging to accomplish but it wasn't too bad)

Frank Zappa