IGNORED

How to choose an equipment based on 5 star ratings when less expensive item has a better rating?

trcns

I am always lost in understanding which equipment is better than other, because if I read the reviews on Home Theater Magazine lot of equipment gets 4 and 5 stars.

I am shopping for a receiver or Pre amp/processor and I was almost there to buy McIntosh MX 121, when surprisingly I saw Pioneer Elite Receiver with 5 stars and its half the price from McIntosh MX121 and while McIntosh did not get 5 stars and still I have to buy the Amplifier with it.

Same is with speakers, B&W 802D’s are more than twice the price from PSB speakers which are also 5 star Speakers. Listening and liking is one thing but if I have to choose based rating how do I know which is better than the other?

Rafi

Star ratings are usually based on the sound quality AND price. So something with a better sound quality but higher price may get a lower star rating than a worse sounding but lower cost equivalent.

It's only by listening / demoing you can (a) decide which is best and (b) which is best in your setup.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I say use the rating as a guideline but take note, depending on who gave the product a rating their critique might be rather slanted towards their own purpose.

I've used and still own products that didn't get a " high rating" but they did fit rather well into my overall room and complemented my music taste.

The Truth Is Out There

The magazines are in the business of selling equipment, so it's not surprising that they are generous in awarding stars.

But careful reading of the reviews can still be a first step in narrowing choices down to a reasonable number.

As has been pointed out, you are the one that needs to be pleased, not the reviewer. So listening with your own ears is the real test. Unfortunately, depending on your location that may be difficult or the dealer may not let you audition gear in your home, which is the preferable option. Still, if at all possible, listen critically before buying.

Best luck!

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

....if I have to choose based rating how do I know which is better than the other?

You do not.

Ratings are vague tags filled with fuzzy opinion.

They are at best quantifiable to a broad range based on assumed criteria.

Use them only as one minor factor in tallying up possible contenders for your consideration.

Search, read & come to places like this to get input. Then filter it all with avid skepticism.

Attemp to locate fellow enthusiasts in your area. Most of us are amiable to arranging personal demos of our equipment.

There is the used market, also. Equipment can be purcahsed typically at half its original price. If you are disappointed you can put it back on the market. This option is not without risk & requires extra effort. It does not suit many, but is an option, nonetheless.

When you do not have the luxury of personally auditioning equipment, there are certain brands that have been well vetted by professional & amatuer reviewers alike that could be considered 'Safe Bets". Brands such as Benchmark, Cambridge Audio, NAD, B&W & many others have been around long enough that any kinks in their armour have been well vetted & their 'general' reputationis established. Finding which one or combination meet your personal preference of audio character is something only experiance & experimentation will reveal.

In the end, you must use your own best judgement.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Same is with speakers, B&W 802D’s are more than twice the price from PSB speakers which are also 5 star Speakers. Listening and liking is one thing but if I have to choose based rating how do I know which is better than the other?

In theory, a reviewer will try to communicate his/her personal taste and the performance of the reviewed article related thereto, so that you can make an educated guess if it will also conform to your objectives.

In practice, I found this to work only with people I knew personally and had a common framework of reference with. Reviews of people I never met I read with a grain of salt. Relative rankings can be useful sometimes, especially in comparing different sources, but a gradation with only 5 ranks and all the candidates in category 4 or 5 is useless.

The choice of speakers is easy. Even if I never heard PSB, I would immediately go for B&W 802D ;-)

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Always remember that everyone has a agenda.

A reviewer is trying to get eyes on his writing, either to get more advertising revenue or possibly more notoriety to build his brand.

A salesperson is trying to sell you something.

You are trying to get the best performance to dollar ratio that is possible.

I have known different reviewers in another hobby of mine, let's just say that they wrote a whole lot better than they rode motorcycles.

It is easy to be a expert and give out ratings if you can control your agenda.