IGNORED

TEAC UD-501: Dual Mono DAC with DSD Streaming

Reading critics and i got the impression that the sound of teac is on the warm side of neutrality making some bad mastered recordings a little more tolerant. Can someone confirm on this?

If i use a 10 feet usb cable will i have any sound problems?

Also is it possible to seamlessly play a playlist with mixed pcm and dsd (without dsd to pcm conversion) tracks in foobar?

I've found it pretty neutral and not on the warming/analogue side akin to my old Micromega CDP, which really could improve bad recordings. There are also different filters, though I haven't had too much time to play with those.

I'm using a 7m (ca21ft) USB cable without issue. Personally, I don't buy the digital/usb cable voodoo, but each to their own.

Foobar has issues if you're going from DSD to PCM, and does require changes to the preferences.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got TEAC UD-501. Sounds pretty good so far (less than 50 hour burn in). I like non-upsampling and filters off. It is non-fatiguing and has a good bass and treble extension. A great value at $850. The construction is much better than I expected.

Is it ok to leave the unit on at all times? My main concern is the life of the OLED display (I heard that OLED have a much shorter lifespan compared to LCD displays). I suppose I could always turn the display off, but then it looks weird with a black square on the face plate.

I wanted to report in on the TEAC UD-501.

I just got this unit to test it out with Linux and MPD. I have been using MPD for years and really love the audio listening paradigm it supports.

In short, this DAC seems to have some problems with USB and Linux. You can get it to play out of the box, but (on pcm) when you change sampling frequencies it borks up and has to be stopped/started again. As for DSD there is a loud pop at the beginning of each track, you can also avoid this by stopping/starting (Stop the last track before it ends then start the next track... quite manual).

I'm posting to hear from anyone who might have experienced this and found a fix for their issues. Here is a gist with some of by information for debugging purposes:

https://gist.github.com/storrgie/6389526

I have just started using the TEAC UD-501 with Foobar/Windows 7, and the PCM sample rate always on the unit always displays as 192kHz (I have turned off the upsample feature), no matter what file resolution is being played, and also when no file is being played. This does not seem correct. Perhaps there is a setting I have not properly adjusted?

@ ClassicalDJ

Would you mind posting your foobar settings?

There's a good chance that something has got mixed up ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

@ ClassicalDJ

Would you mind posting your foobar settings?

There's a good chance that something has got mixed up ...

I haven't delved too deeply with my foobar settings, but to be certain I restored them back to their default. Nothing changed after doing this. The behavior is no different when I use the trial version of JRiver 18, so I am wondering if it is a Windows/USB setting issue.

When originally setting up the TEAC, I first downloaded and installed the 64 bit driver from the TEAC website. As soon as I connected the USB cable, the additional(?) drivers automatically installed and the TEAC driver was set as the default (all PC audio went through the TEAC). I tried changing the default sound driver back to the computer speakers and the foobar output to the TEAC, but this made no difference. Perhaps the USB driver was not updated correctly?

any suggestion on where to buy in EU ?

Try Unilet in London.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the TEAC UD-501 recently based on favorable reviews on this site and others on the internet and am very, very, pleased. I wanted a headphone rig for my PC to replace a Cambridge Audio DM+, which I've been very happy with, but I now have a fair amount of DSD files and wanted something that would handle native DSD (I have a dedicated 2-channel rig for playing SACDs and DSD files in the living room, but often listen to music on my PC, and felt that converting my DSD to PCM was not cutting it anymore). The TEAC UD-501 is a wonderful sounding DAC that IMO, competes with DACs twice its price. It's PCM performance with upsampling ON and the Slow Filter engaged has a neutral to warm vinyl-like quality; and it's DSD performance is fantastic - it sounds comparable to several dedicated SACD decks I've owned and heard.

I've been using JRiver MC for years and upgraded to v19 a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised that it now will output natively in DSD:

NEW: Real-time DSD output

I've spent a few hours this weekend "A/B'ing" between DSD "upsampling" and native PCM. Having JRiver MC 19 output everything to DSD really is the way to go with this DAC! PRaT and resolution have been fantastic on good old PCM (both Redbook and Hi-Res). This DAC is simply marvelous on DSD.

Caveat Emptor: Real-time DSD output requires a fairly powerful CPU!

And, as always, YMMV!

I've spent a few hours this weekend "A/B'ing" between DSD "upsampling" and native PCM. Having JRiver MC 19 output everything to DSD really is the way to go with this DAC! PRaT and resolution have been fantastic on good old PCM (both Redbook and Hi-Res). This DAC is simply marvelous on DSD.

Thanks for this, I'm still using JR18 and wasn't aware of the DSD upconvert feature with JR19. Unfortunately my old Intel dual core music PC only manages a JR Benchmark of just over 2200, not the minimum 3000 recommended for this feature. Seems like a PC upgrade is necessary for me.

Interestingly with PCM playback using my Naim Nait XS to my Monitor Audio RX6's, like you I prefer the slow filter, but have found the upconvert gives a less smooth result.

Thanks for this, I'm still using JR18 and wasn't aware of the DSD upconvert feature with JR19. Unfortunately my old Intel dual core music PC only manages a JR Benchmark of just over 2200, not the minimum 3000 recommended for this feature. Seems like a PC upgrade is necessary for me.

Interestingly with PCM playback using my Naim Nait XS to my Monitor Audio RX6's, like you I prefer the slow filter, but have found the upconvert gives a less smooth result.

I can only get JR19 to work the Teac 501 DSD using USB in windows 7 with the ASIO driver in the DoP setting. How can I set it to work with the DSD setting?

Curtis

My pleasure, Pete. I'm using the UD-501 solely as a headphone rig. I tested it with my Hi-Fi on DSD only for a bit as a point of comparison to my SACDs. I can certainly imagine that the upsampling may color the sound with such revealing speakers as yours. IMHO, the filter and upsampling options are part what makes this DAC so good.

I can only get JR19 to work the Teac 501 DSD using USB in windows 7 with the ASIO driver in the DoP setting. How can I set it to work with the DSD setting?

I'm using the DoP setting in Output Encoding under Output Format and DSD over PCM on Bitstreaming options. DoP is simply a way to get DSD to work over PCM frames (it can be a limitation in the ASIO driver, as I understand it). DoP open Standard | DSD-Guide.com

I found it had no impact whatsoever on SQ.

Currently, in JRiver 19, DoP is the only way to get DSD to the TEAC UD-501. There is a discussion here:

2xDSD output not working with Teac UD-501

If you want to get 2xDSD to the DAC, here is a workaround (again, using DoP only):

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: PCM to DSD Upsampling Effects (JRiver MC19 Beta).

I also found upsampling to 2xDSD is better than PCM (in various combination of upsampling and filters). Have you tried the different DSD filters? I found that FIR2 is more forward and very detailed. FIR3 is smoother and more relaxed. With FIR3 the details are still there, just not as obvious. Initially, FIR2 seems better, but I am enjoying FIR3 more and more.

For PCM (i.e., when I watch movies or TV; JRiver output DSD with videos), I like upsampling ON and filter OFF.

Currently, in JRiver 19, DoP is the only way to get DSD to the TEAC UD-501. There is a discussion here:

2xDSD output not working with Teac UD-501

Native ASIO DSD (without DoP) works without any problems with HQPlayer, DSD64 and DSD128, so at least it is not problem with TEAC's driver.

And the format it asks for is ASIOSTDSDInt8MSB1, so it is completely normal too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

ASIO DSD x2 fine on my Teac UD-501, too.

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Native ASIO DSD (without DoP) works without any problems with HQPlayer, DSD64 and DSD128, so at least it is not problem with TEAC's driver.

And the format it asks for is ASIOSTDSDInt8MSB1, so it is completely normal too.

Yes, native DSD and 2xDSD work fine with TEAC's free player too, but does not seem to work with JRiver. And JRiver does not support DoP for 2xDSD upsampling, so I am using the workaround.

is the oppo 105 dac better than the 501? I have the chance to sell my oppo 95...or i can add the teac to the 95...or buy a 105 to do all...please help me

Hi, I've got the 105 and the UD-501. For me the 501 is the better DAC, purely because it's a good tonal match for the rest of my equipment.

The 105 DAC is probably similar in character to the Audiolab M-DAC, detailed but can sound a bit clinical to me. The UD-501 has a more natural sound which can be shaped with the filters. It's a better match for my Naim amp and Monitor Audio speakers. So I guess the answer is what sound character are you trying to achieve. With a more laid back amp & speakers, I'd possibly prefer the 105.

My PC running an Intel E6750 Core2Duo CPU with 4GB RAM only achieves a JR Mark of 1927, but I've managed to get the 2xDSD PCM conversion working with no issues (500ms buffer), albeit I had to use the ASIOProxy driver in conjunction with the Teac driver.

• 3 weeks later...
Bumping for more input on this DAC. I keep reading good things about it through reviews and comments from other sites. I keep hearing that it compares well with DACs x2 its price.

What more would you like to know? It is a nice sounding DAC for less than $1,000 (probably closer to $700). Plus, you can play back DSD. Your best bet is to buy one and see if it satisfies your listening requirements.