IGNORED

TEAC UD-501: Dual Mono DAC with DSD Streaming

• 3 weeks later...
The 503 is up on the Japan site! Indicates coming this summer!

UD-503 | TEAC

any word on price yet?

Does it have variable level line outputs so it can be used as a pre-amp to powered speakers?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Here is a product announcement from TEAC in Japanese, UD-503 | TEAC

This is the piece about the external 10M clock

In time a USB connection without synchronizing with unstable in many personal computer noise clock (asynchronous), in synchronism with the clock to produce a high-precision crystal oscillator internal UD-503 PCM, a USB asynchronous transfer method to control the DSD signal correspondence. Equipped with two types of dedicated clock of 44.1kHz system and 48kHz system in the interior of the clock. The audio-grade high-precision crystal oscillator of low phase noise characteristics, it is possible to be applied to an integer multiple of the input signal, respectively, to faithfully reproduce the original sound by suppressing significantly the effects of jitter to be given to the sound quality.

Moreover, that also corresponds to the input of the 10MHz external master clock, which can be more accurate master clock signal and the synchronization. Sound quality improvement of, you can enjoy a change of tone.

Here is the text about the digital filtering, seems like it's set up to not digital filter much at all if you are using a HQ Player to upsample / convert

4 types of PCM digital filter and two DSD filterIn addition to the four PCM digital filter and OFF modes, equipped with two types of DSD digital filter, an optimal filter can be selected to suit the file format and music type to type. To match the music and your favorite, you can enjoy the differences of nuance of subtle sound with each of the filter.

[TABLE=width: 618]

[TR]

[TD]PCM filter[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]· FIR SHARP:[/TD]

[TD]FIR filter of sharp roll-off characteristics that sharply cut the signal outside the audio band[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]· FIR SLOW:[/TD]

[TD]FIR filter of the slow roll-off characteristic that gradually cut the signal outside the audio band[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]· SDLY SHARP:[/TD]

[TD]Short delay filter of sharp roll-off characteristics that sharply cut the signal outside the audio band[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]· SDLY SLOW:[/TD]

[TD]Short delay filter of the slow roll-off characteristic of cutting slowly the signal outside the audio band[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]DSD filter[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]· CUTOFF[/TD]

[TD]50 kHz

150 kHz[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Note: If you are receiving the signal of 352.8kHz / 384kHz, the digital filter regardless of this setting will play in the OFF.

Dual mono LPS ;-)

The left and right independent large-capacity toroidal core power transformer[TABLE=width: 618]

[TR]

[TD=width: 200]ud-503_trans.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Stable current mounted one groups a large toroidal core power transformer in each of the left and right channel dedicated supply.Again have penetrated the dual mono over Lal design, and it possible to supply a stable current without being affected by each channel are due to changes in the current consumption according to the other signal processing. We chose a method that has been adopted in the high-end machine of large housing despite the small enclosure.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Could be a good volume control implementation

4 circuit configuration high precision volume "TEAC-QVCS" newly adopted preamplifier circuit of[TABLE=width: 618]

[TR]

[TD=width: 200]ud-503_volume_diaphragm.jpg[/TD]

[TD]UD-503 can also be used as a preamplifier. The XLR balanced output and RCA unbalanced output of the volume variable / fixed selection formula is equipped with one system, power amplifier and, you will be able to build a simple system in combination with the active speakers. Analog RCA input is also equipped with one system, the connection between the analog source, such as a record player or cassette deck with a LINE output, such as the TEAC turntable TN-350 also we care.

The preamplifier circuit, an audio signal converted to analog immediately after the D / A converter circuit of a full-balanced design that all stages balance processing is performed up to the volume amplifier section, "TEAC-QVCS" (Quad Volume Control System ) and we were newly adopted.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

By the control signal transmitted from the volume knob, the left and right channels, further collectively linked a variable gain amplifier type volume of a total of four circuit that was independently for each positive and negative. With this system, there is no routing of unwanted audio signal, left and right-safe independent of the audio signal is maintained, I have won a good clear sound quality to the channel separation. (※ except when analog unbalanced input)

by the volume control system, up to -95dB ~ + 24dB, realize the volume adjustment in 0.5dB by 256 steps over the entire band. Difficult in motorized analog volume, in addition to made ​​it possible to fine volume adjustment of the remote control, even in headphone listening, you can obtain the optimum volume to match the headphone of various efficiency.

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if UD-501 can control line out volume via USB connection? I tested my unit on Mac and Windows and it doesn't work - speaker volume buttons on keyboard & Sound Output slider on System Preferences still works, but those two things do nothing on volume.

• 2 weeks later...
Does any one here with a UD-501 have it working with a REGEN Amber using Windows 2012 R2 in core mode and Audiophile Optimizer?

I am having trouble doing that...

You might want to post on the Regen group. I'll be curious about the answer since I have the Regen on order and also have the UD-501 (but with a Mac Mini server and JRiver software).

You might want to post on the Regen group. I'll be curious about the answer since I have the Regen on order and also have the UD-501 (but with a Mac Mini server and JRiver software).

I tried that but no one who seems to have experience with the REGEN and a 501 replied. John Swenson did suggest reinstalling the TEAC ASIO USB driver which I hope to try to day.

I do know that the REGEN is not defective as I was able to hook up a USB HDD through it.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I tried that but no one who seems to have experience with the 501 replied. I did get one troubleshooting tip from John Swenson which I hope to try to day. I do know that the REGEN it not defective as I was able to hook up a USB HDD through it. John suggested reinstalling the TEAC ASIO USB driver which I will try today.

I suppose you tried swapping USB cables and tried different ports on your computer.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 2/16/2013 at 6:48 AM, Miska said:

What I mean is something like this:

http://www.learningelectronics.net/circuits/images/balanced-unbalanced-converter-for-audio-work-circuit-diagram.jpg

I have somewhat similar built into my DAC for the unbalanced output.

Thanks for sharing, I built "Unbalanced input to balanced output converter" above. It is slightly better than passive adapter cable, while it seems the performance improvement comes from 6dB gain of the active circuit (noninverted + inverted = 2x gain). Maybe longer distance cable + adjacent parallel runs of noisy power cord makes more difference thanks to its common mode noise rejection capability.

BalancedLineDriver.thumb.jpg.7536654f849888a780008cb57ba84ab8.jpg

PowerSupply.thumb.jpg.b91798944b2ef2aecb68242e5c5a7490.jpg

RMAA.png.da7979afd83045efe8b712099a9d57a2.png

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 2 weeks later...

Tested my active RCA to XLR converter with Teac UD-501. DAC is manufactured 10 years ago (2012) while it still has competitive performance. Very revealing DAC, it exposes power related hum and crosstalk problem of my DIY device 😅

Summary.thumb.png.1b089674a61a7953f2019c7aeb858ee8.png

Frequency response

fr.png.14121892555a50981118a94f986c33f3.png

Noise level

ns.png.2f10c3022d7d7662115342b00b8f4cfe.png

Dynamic range

dr.png.bbfef18c4f85cf646ce2229aedce41c9.png

THD+N (at -3 dB FS)

thd.png.79145a14b4a43f6b05a3ecf669d1c23f.png

Intermodulation distortion

imd.png.2c910cb744600605024f3c38bc2273ac.png

Stereo crosstalk