IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 3/19/2019 at 3:41 AM, wklie said:

@BlueSkyy For the HDMI handshake discussed earlier,  we've found a way to improve it for Denon / Marantz AV receivers.  This will go into the next firmware for S1 / A1 / T1.  If you're interested in testing it, I can also send you a beta firmware.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:41 AM, wklie said:

Yes I would like to test the firmware for you!  Please ship it to me!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 3/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, Evo-No-Revo said:

My new Lumin X1 arrived today. This is my 4th Lumin so it isn't unfamiliar. I have it connected to a Luxman L-509X via both XLR and RCA.

With the S1 at least, it was recommended to me not to have both outputs connected simultaneously.  Is the design of the X1 such that this is no longer an issue or did I simply misread what you said?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 hours ago, wklie said:

That is still true for X1.  The S1 beta firmware was sent to you in PM.

Many thanks!

On 3/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, wklie said:

I was able to reconfigure my system to utilize the S1's HDMI output vice the BNC output that I was using because of the HDMI's handshaking issue I have experienced.

The beta firmware seems to have resolved the issue.  I look forward to seeing the change incorporated into one of the next formal releases.

Nicely done!

• 2 weeks later...

My X1 is inbound and I am considering an upgrade to my QNAP NAS to offer a fiber connection directly to the X1 via its internal fiber optic port.  I am quite naïve when it comes to networking so I am asking probably dumb questions but here goes.:

The QNAP adapter I am considering is a dual-port 10GBe SFP+ adapter and a TRENDnet Gigabit Multimode adapter on either end of the fiber.  Can I directly connect the NAS to the X1 via multimode fiber or do I need some sort of device in the middle to connect to the router to resolve I.P. addresses, etc.?

Again, I apologize for my networking ignorance and if my plans don't make sense please let me know.

2 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

My X1 is inbound and I am considering an upgrade to my QNAP NAS to offer a fiber connection directly to the X1 via its internal fiber optic port.  I am quite naïve when it comes to networking so I am asking probably dumb questions but here goes.:

I found the definitive thread on Audioshark so no need to respond to this post.

On March 20, 2019 at 10:47 PM, wklie said:

I no longer have the S1 and I am happily burning in a new black X1.  Out of the box I notice a much more three dimensional sound stage somewhat akin to Bob Carver's "Sonic Hologram" system from the late 1960s.  Very tasty!

Also is the beta firmware that was built to address HDMI handshake issues with the AV8805 applicable to the X1 as well?

Thanks

I couldn't find an HDMI output either!  😉

• 7 months later...

Good review.  I concur.

Interesting question.  Does Amazon Prime offer high quality audio?

I will check it out!  Thanks!

On 12/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, wklie said:

Please consider the official X1 power supply upgrade for U1.

If you wish to have someone custom make a LPS for you, please note the special DC connector.

The next stop would be a power supply operating "off the grid" and on batteries only.

Just a thought.  The 10A fuse was put in there for some reason either by mistake or on purpose.  If it was put in on purpose it may have been to keep the system running if the 2A was blowing occasionally due to a slightly wonky power supply or issues with the load (the S1).  I'd get a supply of cheap 2A fuses and run the system with a cheap one before popping in a $150 fuse only to have it go up in smoke.

My pleasure (after having been through just such as situation myself earlier in life)!

Regarding the analog outputs of the X1, I am currently connecting the X1 via the balanced outputs to the single balanced input on my preamplifier via a 1.0 meter pair of Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 cables.  In my new hardware configuration, I need the single XLR input on the preamp for other duties (a lengthy run (16 feet) from the output of my phono preamp) for the benefits of common mode noise rejection, etc. that a balanced connection would afford me and am considering moving the X1 to an unbalanced connection.  I have listened to the X1 via both the XLR (Wireworld cables mentioned above) and the RCA outputs (RCA via relatively inexpensive unbalanced cables) and my ears cannot reliably detect any real difference other than maybe some induced by my own personal biases (XLR is better than RCA).

My question is for those of you who have experimented with both the analog outputs of the X1:  Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your thoughts!

They were spot on with the review but, then, I have been thoroughly biased towards Lumin products beginning with the love affairs with the A1, the S1 and now the X1.  It's the three dimensional sound stage the X1 provides that is most attractive to me.

8 hours ago, Audio said:

....and you can operate JRiver directly from a QNAP NAS.

Just download the JRiver for QNAP App on your QNAP NAS and let it run from there.  You no longer need a PC.

You just upload new content to your folder in the NAS.  And then update your JRiver using the "import a single folder".

(Audio)

This is very interesting to me but when I went to the application section on both my NAS systems I could not find JRiver available for download and installation.  Possibly it's available only on specific NAS systems and not mine?

Where did you find the application again?

Got it and thanks!  I misunderstood that it was a QNAP application install like minimserver.  I see it installs under or as an HD Station application.  As I don't typically have a keyboard/mouse/display connected to the NAS I think I'll stay with my HTPC at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

No user serviceable parts inside.

33 minutes ago, dark said:

Very clever idea

I was being silly, thought better of it, and deleted it.  The only reason to go inside would be to replace the fuse, if blown, or put in one of those super fuses!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, dark said:

did you listen x1?

I own the X1.

Opinions vary.

3 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Not every preference is a conspiracy or the result of propaganda. Opinions DO vary.  It is not important to be "right" in this hobby.  And why the need to question the preferences of someone else just because they are not the same as yours?  What happened to just agreeing to disagree?  

Spot on!  Preferences vary and the intent of my original post was not meant to trigger or upset anyone.

I am thrilled to the core with the X1 as I was with my A1 and S1 that came before.  The emotion that the X1 evokes in me every time I listen to it is indescribable and, because I don't have the words that audiophiles typically use to describe superior products available to me, I'll have to leave it at that.  The three dimensional sound stage the X1 presents is uncanny and the speakers in my system simply melt away and cease to exist as a distinct part of the system.

Aside from the thrill of listening, the build quality is exemplary and the customer service and concern that folks like "wiklie" provide makes the ownership experience unparalleled.