IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

BlueSkyy, what you say makes sense.

On a different note, does anyone know how to create multiple playlists on Lumin app? Every time I try to enter a new play list it just tries to change the title of the old one. I would like to have different playlists for each genre.

• 2 weeks later...

brw,

Do you not find that preamp degrades SQ compared to X1 LEEDH direct into amp? I am debating whether I should sell my preamp. Other than the convenience of a remote, the preamp doesn't seem to be making much SQ difference.

I would be curious how many Lumin X1 users use direct to amp. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

In the past, you recommended against putting the X1 power supply above X1. If this due to vibration interaction, how about putting vibration isolation between them? I ask because I would like to save some rack space. Has anyone actually tested whether the power on top actually lowers SQ, or is this a theoretical concern?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I've always been one that believes the shortest, most direct path be it with audio or "as the crow flies" is the best choice.

Of course if you need the preamp for equalization, switching functions, etc. than the preamp is the only way to go.

I've got my X1 going via XLR through an XLR switch to the input of the amplifiers so I can enjoy the best of both worlds by going direct when I use the X1 or going through the preamp / processor when I need the home theater setup.

But, PLEASE, don't let this sway you in any way into how to spend your money.  Only your decision and no one else's, other than maybe that of your significant other or your banker, should do that.

I agree with you regarding the shortest path. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some albums require  the extra gain from a preamp. I don’t know if it is  just my system, but I am curious how Jonas Starker Bach cello Mercury label sounds direct to the amp. For me, direct just can’t produce the volume. Let me know.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:34 AM, wklie said:

I can give you an experimental firmware to increase the volume for Lumin X1 by 5dB.  Let me know by PM if you want to try it.  However, this won't get into standard firmware, so you may need to stay at this firmware if you choose to use it.

Hi Pete

I may try your experimental firmware. I am trying to verify that I need the preamp to reach the volume level that I like. As I said, for practically all albums, I don't need the preamp to reach the volume of my choice. Compared to having my tube preamp (BAT Rex 2) between X1 and my amp (Pass Labs X250.8), the direct pathway sounds drier and not as engaging. But, I am still trying to confirm this.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

Yes, absolutely, of course you are correct, barrows.

Perhaps what I should have said is:

"Is it your experience, Peter, that inserting a fibre optic link in this way not only provides galvanic isolation, but that this does actually improves the sonic outcome?   ie Did Lumin fit the optical input on the X1 because it is KNOWN to have a beneficial effect to the sound? Or is it just there for 'future-proofing' ?"

I compared optical vs and copper ethernet. I found that I like the ethernet connection better. Optical sounded more thin/analytical.