IGNORED

Kooky idea for power conditioning

I've got my computer audio components plugged into a UPS. It does some power filtering, but the AC power coming into the house is so noisy/dirty, I want to upgrade to a better power conditioner. If I could spend without the limitation of spousal approval, I would buy a PS Audio Power Plant. Isn't their box that reconstructs (instead of conditioning) the power, in essence, an AC to DC converter, a battery to store energy, then a DC to AC converter?

That is also what a product like this does: Humless Sentinel - The Silent Fuel-less Generator Since it allows for simultaneous AC input and output, and that output is pure sine wave (vs. lower end models using modified sine wave)....could it offer similar sonic advantages as the Power Plants, at less cost?

It will be a lot easier to obtain SAF because it can be "sold" as a useful emergency accessory. The fact that it can serve as my power conditioner when not being needed sounds like a win-win. It outputs 120V AC so I don't know why it would hurt my nice active monitors. An off-the-wall idea I realize....but any thoughts on viability?

An off-the-wall idea I realize....but any thoughts on viability?

It's less expensive than I thought, but not what I would call inexpensive ;-)

Viability depends on the current draw of your equipment, because I fear that the power source will be switched to the mains if plugged in and charging. You can verify this by talking to the manufacturer. In this case you should separate it from the mains while listening. If your gear draws 200 W, it would last approximately 3 hours; after that it's back to unfiltered mains.

It might also be possible to charge it via DC, because a direct current is decoupled from the mains, can be filtered more easily and the device has to recondition the output.

As an alternative you might build a line filter. You might also look into AC-DC and DC-AC converters (you do not really need the battery). They are used in drive trains, machine tools and solar and wind power generation /transmission.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

why do you want to go this extreme. just build power conditioner. its easier and makes more sense. btw - your computer creates a lot more RF junk than power in wall.

then go even more extreme and build your computer on car batteries without impulse power supply, even that makes more sense.

I tend to agree with the other responses in this thread. I've learned that in most cases these types of tweaks just wind up being a pain in the butt and a waste of money.

Your monitors are designed to run off of unfiltered mains. Unless you have a serious problem with noisy mains, I'd personally just let them be.

If you really want power conditioning, I would just recommend a well-made power conditioner from a professional audio company like Furman.