IGNORED

Anyone played with digital out docks for ipod ?

Deaf Cat

Hi,

Just thinking a stereo set up for the kitchen.. after having a bit of a sort out in the shed I've found a few bits and bobs that I used to have in the lounge at one time or another, dac/pre, power amp, speakers :-)

Don't really want to fire up a laptop in the kitchen, and just wondered if there was any decent ipod docks that anyone had found that give a decent digital out at not too much money. I'm thinking of running ipeng with the pass through software.

Any comments or other ideas much appreciated,

Cheers

DC

Here's a copy of a post I sent to another forum (so the first part of the first paragraph is irrelevant)...

It struck me reading this thread and the original comment that "only DIGITAL iPod dock available is the Pure i-20" there was perhaps a need to list the other docks which can provide a digital output - this list probably isn't exhaustive either...

Pure i-20

Wadia i170 and i171

Onkyo NS-D1

Cambridge Audio iD100

Arcam drDock

Teac DS-H01

In addition, the following are DACs / Headphone amps for iOS devices which also have SPDIF digital out. Both are connected via standard dock connector to USB.

Nuforce iDo

Foxtex HP-P1

As far as I know, the Wadia i171, CA iD100, Arcam drDock, Nuforce iDo and Foxtex HP-P1 all support iPad as well as iPhone/iPod. The Pure doesn't officially support the iPad though there are reports that it works.

Eloise

PS. All of these work using the old 30pin connector; if you want to use the new Lightening connector you'll need to do some research or wait for officially released Lightening compatible docks.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi,

Just thinking a stereo set up for the kitchen.. after having a bit of a sort out in the shed I've found a few bits and bobs that I used to have in the lounge at one time or another, dac/pre, power amp, speakers :-)

Don't really want to fire up a laptop in the kitchen, and just wondered if there was any decent ipod docks that anyone had found that give a decent digital out at not too much money. I'm thinking of running ipeng with the pass through software.

Any comments or other ideas much appreciated,

Cheers

DC

Wadia 171i...often found for less than its original price when it was cutting edge...

wadia 170i in Other | eBay

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

An iPad with the 30-pin dock connector and camera connection kit into a USB DAC will sound best. Any USB 2.0 DAC should work with a powered USB hub. In my testing this always sounded better than a line out dock (LOD).

edit: I realize you were looking for a dock but the CCK is $30 and let's you bring your own DAC so thought I'd mention it.

I got a NuForce iDo last year that I like a lot. The headphone amp has enough to drive my AKG 701s, and the sound from the audio outs is pretty good through a bare-bones 2 ch+sub system. I'm using Audiogalaxy on my iPhone to stream FLACs from my server, and the sound is better than decent.

The NuForce products are a bit more expensive than some competitors, but they're made extremely well and I really like the way they look and feel (in addition to their audio performance, of course).

I just spoke with the guys at NuForce, and the iDo will NOT work with the iPhone 5. So it'll be an expensive decoration for me if I get a new phone.

I just spoke with the guys at NuForce, and the iDo will NOT work with the iPhone 5. So it'll be an expensive decoration for me if I get a new phone.

Just to note, NuForce actually say the opposite on their website...

Compatibility

• iPhone 5 (with Lightning to 30-pin adapter)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Here's a copy of a post I sent to another forum (so the first part of the first paragraph is irrelevant)...

The Pure doesn't officially support the iPad though there are reports that it works.

"Doesn't officially support" being almost literally accurate - IOW, it works but the arrangement is so physically unstable that if you touch the iPad screen you'll knock the whole thing over! I know, I have one and tried this after the last time this was mentioned here. Not that I want to make anyone feel guilty or anything. Oh no, not me. But if you want to make it up to me my Christmas wish is already on record here :)

I have been using the HRT iStreamer for just about a year now. It's truly been one of the best, if not the best, purchases I've made in a long time. Some thoughts:

• It is truly digital out, and allows volume control from your iOS device (does this much like the Dragonfly DAC, where the DAC is what actually lowers the volume)

• Works perfectly with the Lightning cable (heck, even a 30pin cable with a lightning adapter, or just any iPod cable). It's a no fuss device.

Why it is awesome:

• Stick it in your car (I have mine between the center console and passenger seat).

• It will work with either a 2.1A or a 1.0A car charger (no fuss device).

• Add a 2 Male RCA (the iStreamer's outputs are RCA) to 3.5mm male cable, and into your cars aux. I use a $35 wire world cable and its great.

• The upgrade in sound is phenomenal. It's asynchronous, and it will sound like you got a new system in your car - night and day vs using the iPhones headphone jack.

• It charges your iOS device as well. Which is awesome. 1/2 the time I just use it to charge my phone/iPad.

• The thing is built to last. Like all of HRTs products, it's entirely metal on the outside, and there is zero worry about anything happening to it. I even left it in my car the entire time during the summer in Arizona... A stupid thing to do - but the damn thing worked flawlessly even though it would feel so hot at times I would swear that it would be trashed, nope.

For in home use? Never used it in my house. But it's an amazing car docking/DAC/charging solution

Wow had no idea there were so many options, going to have a good read on all that you have suggested!

Many thanks!! Will probably visit a shop or two to see if i can get a listen too :-)

Did think the Wadia was a bit over budget, but will keep an eye on ebay for it and the others mentioned too :-)

Cheers for now

DC

I have been using the HRT iStreamer for just about a year now. It's truly been one of the best, if not the best, purchases I've made in a long time. Some thoughts:

• It is truly digital out, and allows volume control from your iOS device (does this much like the Dragonfly DAC, where the DAC is what actually lowers the volume)

• Works perfectly with the Lightning cable (heck, even a 30pin cable with a lightning adapter, or just any iPod cable). It's a no fuss device.

Why it is awesome:

• Stick it in your car (I have mine between the center console and passenger seat).

• It will work with either a 2.1A or a 1.0A car charger (no fuss device).

• Add a 2 Male RCA (the iStreamer's outputs are RCA) to 3.5mm male cable, and into your cars aux. I use a $35 wire world cable and its great.

• The upgrade in sound is phenomenal. It's asynchronous, and it will sound like you got a new system in your car - night and day vs using the iPhones headphone jack.

• It charges your iOS device as well. Which is awesome. 1/2 the time I just use it to charge my phone/iPad.

• The thing is built to last. Like all of HRTs products, it's entirely metal on the outside, and there is zero worry about anything happening to it. I even left it in my car the entire time during the summer in Arizona... A stupid thing to do - but the damn thing worked flawlessly even though it would feel so hot at times I would swear that it would be trashed, nope.

For in home use? Never used it in my house. But it's an amazing car docking/DAC/charging solution

I assume your talking about the iSteamer-12v model

The Truth Is Out There

Just to note, NuForce actually say the opposite on their website...

Compatibility

• iPhone 5 (with Lightning to 30-pin adapter)

Eloise

Wow - I called just before I posted. The guy who answered told me that the USB interface wasn't correctly configured for the new connector and system and that they were working on a new model with a different chip. He also spent several minutes telling me how hard and expensive it was for 3rd parties to secure and maintain Apple's approval to say that a product is compatible with an Apple product.

I checked their website first and only called because I didn't see the iP5 on the compatibility list - maybe they updated it after my call. In any case, this info makes the NuForce iDo a viable option for the OP - I really like mine. Thanks!!

David

Junk the iPhone and buy an android...as good or better technology..a high rez DAC in most phones, standard USB file management...better battery life, etc, etc...

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Junk the iPhone and buy an android...as good or better technology..a high rez DAC in most phones, standard USB file management...better battery life, etc, etc...

It's not that simple. I loved my Androids - but accessing the servers and services where I work was (and remains) difficult or worse with Android. The iPhone is ubiquitous on our campus, so I finally threw in the towel and joined the lemmings. Now all my home screen icons do what they're supposed to do. But I loved Android from day 1, and I miss it.

I was the only Android user on our network for about 2 years. I had to find Lotus Traveler and show IT how to install and use it - but the only thing that worked well was the calendar. Neither POP nor IMAP access is allowed, so I had to use a browser based client with few options and little control. Now my Samsung Fascinate is backup for my son and his girlfriend.

The iPhone's fine for my audio use. I only play it at home through my NuForce iDo, which is a pretty nice little DAC and amp. In a pinch, I'll use ear buds - but if I'm doing that, it's only because I ended up stranded at an airport or had unexpected free time away from my home or office.

I assume your talking about the iSteamer-12v model

They're actually the exact same product. The only difference is the included power adapter (which we probably all have a bunch of each lying around by now anyways)

** HRT makes two versions of the iStreamer, iStreamer 115V with a (universal) power supply designed to run off of the local AC mains that accepts voltages anywhere from 110-240VAC, while the other (iStreamer-12V)comes with a compact 12VDC power supply that simply fits into your vehicle's or boat's cigarette lighter or spare 12VDC auxiliary outlet. Other than the different power supplies, the two versions of the HRT iStreamer are identical.
Source: HRT's website