IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

I could well be wrong, but it didn't look to me like the Debian distro for the Armada (kernel version 3.x) would be compatible with Debian Stretch (kernel version 4.6), which Miska's network audio daemon requires.

Too bad, there's also an Archlinux distro and might need to build in necessary support

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 4 months later...

Interesting journey that started with fixing a power cord -- HQPlayer stopped recognizing the DSD capabilities of my iDSD Micro ... installing to NAA 3.4.0 didn't fix ... upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and then 3.4.2 ... wow! Xenial boots waay faster using iSCSI and all works [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, falcongate said:

Sorry for my newby questions, but I still have a few things not clear about NAA. Does the NAA work only with USB output? Can it work with sound cards like RME? Can an NAA work with multiple outputs, like 2 different USB DACs?

Thanks

NAA works with ALSA drivers (on linux), so not only USB. Can work with multiple.

I'm trying to get Phasure NOS1a working with NAA. Its entirely WSAPI. It seems like networkaudiod is sending the output to "Dummy" so I'm thinking I need to map the ASIO but I'm running HQPlayer from OS X 10.10.5 ... I don't see the ASIO mapping on Tools... Is there an environment variable to do this for networkaudiod? (on windows 10).

Seems like voodoo :) 

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

You should be running networkaudiod with WASAPI backend.

The ASIO mapping thing is only available when local backend is set to ASIO. When backend is set to NAA, HQPlayer doesn't know what kind of driver interface there is being used at the other side.

You can remap/reroute channels using the pipeline matrix achieving practically same end result but in a heavier way.

Is there a way to specify WSAPI backend? Its giving me ASIO messages (networkaudiod that is)

(I have no idea what an ASIO or WSAPI is btw... gosh it would be so much better if the USB->IS2 interface folks properly supported Linux :(

1 hour ago, Miska said:

See the launcher .bat script included in the package. You can edit it to adjust some of the parameters (remove the "rem" comment prefix to enable the line).

WASAPI is Microsoft's equivalent of ALSA while ASIO is Steinberg's.

Yeah I really should have seen that ... its been a blur installing and reinstalling Windows and drivers ... thanks

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jud said:

I've been attempting an install of Archlinux Arm on my Cubox, and have run into the following problems after doing the normal rootfs installation on an SD card preparatory to setting up :

- No HDMI monitor output (what I have available), so I can't see what's going on directly

- No Ethernet, so I can't SSH in

Would appreciate suggestions regarding any or all of the following:

- I currently have Armbian in its Xenial configuration running on the Cubox, so are there handy dandy install instructions for Archlinux Arm from an operating system?

- What are the files I need to edit in the rootfs install on the SD card to get working Ethernet so I can SSH in?

- Is there a reasonably inexpensive small computer on which installing Arch Linux (and then NAA) is a little easier than on the Cubox?

@Jud, if you'd just followed by advice to get a ClearFog Base, you'd be much happier now :)

Don't know CuBox but perhaps, like the ClearFog, it has a microUSB port to which its terminal is connected. See my blog for instructions.

If your model has microUSB <-> rs232 then I would connect the microUSB port (see picture from embedded link below) to a laptop, run a terminal emulator and then you can log into the CuBox and get Ethernet working...

Do you need Arch Linux or can you use Debian/Armbian?

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

(It's because there's other software I'd like to install that I'm not using the image, which installs as easily as possible and works beautifully.)

Let this be a learning experience for you! ;)

Really easy to copy @Miska's debian image to an SD, plop it in and go.

Let's see, from OS X I use "unetbootin" (I also use "Etcher") to write the SD from a downloadable image.

You can use the USB terminal to get Ethernet working. Then enable ssh.

You can then install additional software from the command line...

or do same with archlinux ...

you can always keep one SD for archlinux and another for Debian. Put an "A" on one and then a "D" on the other and tell us which sounds better x-D

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

Here's the installation procedure I'm following (now that it's easy to get to a login on the newly booted installation, hopefully I'll be good to go): https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/freescale/cubox-i

Yeah that looks more difficult :) There are also ways you can install Debian on an SD using the command line and "dd" but those apps I quoted are easier with nice GUI :)

For desktops typically make an installation USB these days ... CD/DVD is becoming archaic... mostly emulated using VirtualBox etc.. 

@Miska, I know this is perhaps beyond what is possible, but perhaps not. I am trying to get Phasure NOS1a working via NAA. Windows 10 is OS, and of note, HQPlayer runs on this Celeron J1900 fine actually with PCM -- I've installed a TRIAL copy to test this (my licensed copy of HQP runs on my workstation along with Roon). HQP on the NAA machine handles up to 701 kHz without a sweat and sounds terrific. I've tried the remote HQP at 700 kHz, 352, 384, 192 etc but no luck ... attached is the networkaudiod log ... other times I get "out of storage" errors. On one occasion I got stuttering sound out... any ideas? 

networkaudiod (1).log

@Jud don't give up on cubox! ... unless you want the ClearFog -- its really terrific :) 

Just use your laptop and minicom (or whatever) and don't get too complicated. This worked for me : http://blog.jabresearch.com/post/2017/06/04/CLEARFOG-BASE-AS-FIBEROPTIC-NETWORK-AUDIO-ADAPTER-(NAA)

For cubox -- use @Miska's image :)  and then dd to copy it to an SD or Etcher or whatever ... 

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

If Armbian still recognizes my keyboard after upgrading to Stretch, I'll install networkaudiod and then see about installing upmpdcli.

Forget the keyboard -- it doesn't ever need one! Just boot using minicom over USB, get network & ssh up and then access using ssh over network...

1 hour ago, Jud said:

For possible future reference, when you mention "boot using minicom over usb," I don't know what that means.  I have minicom installed on my desktop and CoolTerm on the MBP, so I have software capable of working with a serial connection.  What happens from there?

the terminal program allows the Cubox screen to be displayed on the PC via a USB connection.

Just plug a micro USB cable into the Cubox and the other end into your PC/laptop. https://wiki.solid-run.com/doku.php?id=products:imx6:microsom:usbuart

then run your terminal program, and boot the Cubox... log in and you should be in a command line. Then enable the network. etc.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

Thanks Miska.  I’m supposing something in Armbian for CuBox has done one of these things, since (1) I didn’t do any configuration on my own in those areas, and (2) searching the thread showed another user with exactly the same problem back in April-March.  That user tried Archlinux Arm and it Just Worked, so perhaps....

You probably want to update Armbian to stretch though as networkaudiod needs that...

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rickca said:

So do you recommend getting a managed smart switch that has flow control vs an unmanaged switch?

For most home applications, unmanaged switch is fine. Easier not to mess up. I think for flow control, unless you need it, know why you want it, and know how to properly configure it, you are more likely to make things worse rather than better.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, richard kimber said:

Any thoughts?

I have a firewall/router/dhcp server between my ISP connection and my internal network switch. I am not sure you need a firewall on you home network machines if they stay behind the main firewall. That said you should be able to allow connections from a specific IP address to a desired port range

4 hours ago, richard kimber said:

I have the T+A DAC 8 DSD.It has the Amanero controller. I can get HQPlayer to work directly with the DAC via USB (DSD128) without any problems from my LInux PC, but I would prefer it if I can use the NAA.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the odroid doesn't have horsepower to handle network -- consider using something like the SolidRun Clearfog Base which handles DSD512 NAA without hiccup on my system.

5 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Today I wanted to go to the next level by bridging 2 internet ports on the w10 hqplayer pc, so I could connect the sms-200 directly to the w10pc.

That this is considered the “next level” is mythology. There is absolutely no reason to believe that a good switch with LPS or battery power, and reputable manuf wouldn’t actually be better than a generic w10 laptop regarding noise or any other problem on the Ethernet connection. I assure you that eg my optical switch sounds better not worse than a direct connection.

That said, learning how to set up mulithomed networks is probably a good education.

1 hour ago, Lebouwsky said:

On this forum this is seen as quite an impressive upgrade.

I consider this a complete waste of time — actually a step backward. I don’t advise that anyone do this unless they have a very good reason

Do you think your W10 pc is a better Ethernet switch than my Brocade?

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

What about a dual fiber nic in bridge mode?  :)  

Why? Under what theory do fiberoptic networks not allow perfect signal transmission from continent to continent, into your house, up your stairs and to your computer?

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

I have a few concerns and need some help regarding Optical NAA setup.

I use a low powered Celeron ASRock Q1900M board with an Intel x520 NIC which runs both Windows and Linux.

Your OM4 is totally fine — pretty much anything works at 1Gbe — you can try single mode fiber if you wish because the SFP modules have better electronics (and are more expensive) but that’s really gravy.

1 hour ago, louisxiawei said:

@jabbrThanks for the suggestion.

But I prefer a palm-size NAA device with preferable 7-12V power input so that it can be hidden behind my dac and matched  with a decent power supply like Uptone's LPS-1 or JS-2. Maybe I'm being too picky.

I understand. I can’t say that I know of all the boards that might support that, and when Windows supports ARM including third party vendor drivers, that might be possible. In the meantime...

• 7 months later...

Anyone use of of the Android devices as NAA?

I'm looking for a little box with preferably Wifi 802.11ac in and USB out that I can load networkaudiod on ... I guess this could be Cubox i2ex but there are all of these neat little Android powered gizmos ... or load Debian on it ...