IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

I am using this small, Windows Home micro PC since early December and it works absolutely well. Did not switch it off at all since I configured it.

iFi iDSD micro runs from it.

Xtreamer Winbox

149 Euro. But comes from a Korean company. You may need to pay customs/duties, VAT, etc depending on the local rules.

Thanks, I am still considering possible choices. i3 may be too 'heavy' for the purpose. Lower power consuming Atom processors may spread less noise to audio system and substituting their power supply may be easier and cheaper.

On the other side, I want to experiment also with other available streaming options and uses. Maybe the small computer could be used also for video streaming. It could be also multiboot system, I can try also some Linux solutions. It's for experimenting, playing, comparing. :)

Simply I would like to combine just enough processing power but not too much power consumption and thus noise.

I found for example these two with some reviews - according to reviews they are OK also for video, and they are still of low consumption - both use 5V 2A power supplies:

1) for $100

Cenovo MINI PC 2 Windows10 Intel Cherry Trail Z8300 Smart Mini PC

Cenovo Mini PC 2 Windows PC Review: So Close | Home Theatre Life

I found one Russian discussion (I'm able to read it), they don't report delivery of broken devices or malfunctioning devices, production quality seems to be OK.

2) for $154

Beelink BT7 Mini PC Intel Atom X7-Z8700 Quad-core Windows 64bit-206.93 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Beelink BT7 Windows PC Review: A Step Above The Rest | Home Theatre Life

both 4GB RAM and 64 GB ROM + SD slot, LAN, WiFi, bluetooth, more USB slots, HDMI

the 2) has metal case, faster CPU and faster wireless, but CPU cooling contains small ventilation fan

• 1 month later...

I am too lazy to be honest to search and my question can be dumb, but may I ask if there is a way to run NAA under Daphile?

Just spent few minutes to find it out and did not find any simple way yet.

Daphile is running on an Xtreamer Winbox micro PC, sounds nice with an RME ADI 2 Pro USB A/D, D/A interface, wondering if I can use NAA with Daphile?

Thx for any help.

Do you have HQPlayer running on Daphile or do you want your Daphile computer to be an NAA?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My Daphile computer to become NAA. I used the Xtreamer Winbox as NAA with its originial Win 10 Home for quite a while, it was very good, hope to try it out with Linux as well. Daphile works and sounds really nice so the next step would be using this Linux as NAA.

HQPlayer is running on my macBook Pro.

Thx for your help.

I believe Daphile is based on Gentoo, which uses different package management option. If you can install NAA package under Daphile and it has all the dependencies I do not see why you should not be able to do that. The one issue that I see is how are you going to stop all the Daphile processes that control audio devices, so NAA software can get exclusive access to audio devices.

Edit: Read your second message. Are you saying that you plan to install Debian/Ubuntu on the Xtreamer Winbox in place of Daphile? If yes, you should not have any issues with it.

No.

I try to avoid to install other linux versions.

As I mentioned I am lazy today and trying to find the easiest way to run NAA and Linux on this micro PC.

But if the easiest way to install other Linux I will do that. Just searching for others experience.

I would say keep your Daphile, buy a CuBox for $100 or less and install Miska's NAA image on it.

Actually I did this and now NAA runs on Cubox. It sounds nice, really engaging. However, I can use it only with the native files, without any processing. When I try to do an upconversion I hear a strange whistling in every 15-20 sec for about 2-3 sec. Higher the upconversion goes more offen and louder the whistling attacks in PCM. It is even worse in DSD.

My Hqplayer runs on a MacBook Pro, the USB DAC is the RME ADI 2 Pro.

Any suggestion?

I wish I knew what was going on, but I have never experienced this. :(

I cross checked my active speakers, everything in my system, to know where this error is appearing and it seems it is the NAA. I tried both USB slot on the Cubox, but it was the same the whistling did not change. I even connected an iFi USB3 power supply/USB regenerator between Cubox and the RME DAC, but it did not help in this regards, however the sound became a bit more open and fluid. I tried different USB cables, power supplies, etc.

Changed the network connection, changed switch then switched from Ethernet to wifi. Did not help.

I reconnected my other micro PC with Windows at the end but the sound had no whistles. So i am pretty sure it is the Cubox / NAA software combination or its configuration, I have no more idea. I am just listening it without any processing.

I tried the RME with a HummingBoard instead of the Cubox. The problem remained the same. So I am pretty sure the problem lies somewhere in the connection with the RME DAC.

A sidenote: the Cubox is driven from a 5V, 7A linear power supply, the HummingBoard from an ordinary 5V, 4A SMS, and there is a quite a bit of a difference between the two. The SMS driven path is a bit muffled, less open than the LPS path.

As I can connect the iFi iDSD micro to the RCA input of my active speakers, the RME is connected to the XLR input of the same speaker so very easy to compare the two DAC, cabling roughly the same Wireworld. The RME has more dynamics, more life and a but more engaging.

I like all the versions, with the iFi and with the RME ADI 2 Pro. The difference is not too big, the general character is similar, but on a longer term the RME should be a bit more entertaining. I think.

• 1 year later...

To be honest I am too lazy, to go through all the 114 pages.... 

But.

Is there any reason (consensus?),  to spend a fortune on any really high-end, expensive, very special, customized hardware for Linux NAA, or uRendu, SMS200 Ultra (similar others?) for roughly 2-3k USD including power supplies,  are the most you need to buy if one wants to use DSD 256x or 512x?

(in case of DACs like RME ADI-2 DAC, Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE L3, so max 2-3k  USD) 

Sorry if it is just too generic question. 

32 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

You can go with an Intel NUC or one of Jussi’s recommended small, low power computers with the available NAA images.   With a good PSU (everything benies from a good PSU) you get a lot of the way to one of the Ethernet renederers.  I have both a NUC and a SOTM trifecta.  

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an SMS200 (being upgrade to Neo, thinking of the Ultra) and using a Cubox-i as well with NAA image. 

I wonder if there are more sophisticated ways to use Linux NAA? 

• 3 weeks later...

If I want to use an "ultimate" NAA machine with my Hqplayer running on a 18 core iMac Pro, what would be the way to reach my NAA Nirvana? 

Pimp an SoTM SMS200Ultra or xxxxRendu (or such) with all sorts of external clocks, clocked switch, etc or to build something which can use clocks for mobo, usb card, ethernet, like Pink Faun, PPA or Jcat respective products and solutions? If cost would be no object? Any advice? 

I do not need Roon endpoint, just NAA handling DSD1024 or 1,536 kHz PCM with my Holo Audio Spring 2.

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

Sotm sm200 ultra not stable at DSD512 .. sweet spot is DSD256.. 

Can try a fanless NUC running Jussi"s @Miska Linux /Win 10 NAA .. With a powerful HQplayer PC and aRTX 2080ti u shld get up to DSD 512 even with th tougher filters

Only Jussi may know the HW needed to reach DSD1024🤔 Maybe a i9. 9900k with tge RTX 2080 ti?

my sms200 Neo work stable with DSD512, I got no problem with it at all. 

I expect my iMac Pro to provide at least a good chance for the -2s DSD1024 from 44,1kHz FLAC. It works well with DSD512 in poly-sync / DSD7.