IGNORED

Don't know where to start HELP.

Winter

Hey All,

I just joined the forum in search of some help in setting up a harmonious relationship between a computer and a set of speakers...in other words a Computer Audio system.

A bit of background: I have been on the search for audio nirvana for about a year and a half now and started first by buying a set of SR60i's from Grado. I like the headphones but they have developed the grattle and I don't listen to them as much as I'd hope to. I recently bought a computer with just audio in mind and would like to set up a good listening station in my "man cave". As of right now I have a new Mac Mini with an LG external optical drive and a Glyph 1tb drive. I'm waiting to set up a wireless network so I can download XLD and start a ripping! I've decided on format for my rips and don't have any issues with XLD, I do have an issue setting up an actual listening station and am torn between getting a set of bookshelf speakers or a sweet headphone setup.

The room is small enough that a pair of bookshelf speakers should work quite nicely, right now the only audio equip I have is a crappy sony all in one stereo, a "home theater" receiver with built in dvd player and a set of DOGG digital floor standers that I got for free from my boss. I don't know what source component to pick up first. I'm thinking because I've already bought my computer and have that setup near complete(at least for now) that I pick up a good DAC. I am extremely interested in the Bifrost from Schiit as I whole-heartedly support Schiit's dedication to using American made components and keeping that same philosophy as they manufacture their gear. I would then run the DAC from my computer into one of their headphone amps so I can power my Grado's. I have about a $400-500 budget and I listen to strictly metal if that helps as I know a lot of popular music is mastered or re-mastered for the audiophile market, and let me tell you, metal is not one of them! Some of the stuff I have sounds like it was recorded in a cave in Belarus!

So if you can give me any guidance it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Headphones vs speakers as the primary listening mode is a highly personal choice. I doubt anyone but you can decide that. You're ahead of the game with your mac mini for a high quality source. At your budget level there will be compromises. The Schiit Bifrost/Asgard combo will run $700 and if you later decide to go the speaker route, you'll need an amp and/or some way to switch the source between the two. Check out the Audioengine website. They have good sounding products that include headphone amps. Either a D1 dac/headphone amp or N22 amp that powers either speakers or headphones might be the ticket. They have powered speakers as well. The Audioquest Dragonfly is a relatively inexpensive dac($250) that many people are praising. That plus some combination of Audioengine products might fit your budget and need as well.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

One thing to remember with the Bifrost, there is a single set of RCA out. If you plan on going powered speakers and headphone amp, make sure you have the back accessible as you will be swapping wires a lot.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

One thing to remember with the Bifrost, there is a single set of RCA out. If you plan on going powered speakers and headphone amp, make sure you have the back accessible as you will be swapping wires a lot.

Well not exactly. If you can tolerate a little dual amplification - you can use the output of the Asgard with powered speakers. I do this in my bedroom when I am not critically listening. Most people will say one shalt not do this - but I find if I set the volume level on my B&W MM-1s to a "set" level - I control the overall volume from the Asgard.

Re headphones - the Bifrost / Agard combo with some Sennhesier HD-600s is a good little combo.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

My suggestion would be to first determine whether you'd prefer speakers or headphones. I say that because if you decide to go the speaker route, that would probably be the first thing I'd buy. My guess is that good speakers, even without a DAC right now, would be a considerable improvement over what you are used to. Just to give you an example, I started by connecting a pair of Audioengine A5s directly to my iMac. This was a huge improvement over the crappy speakers I was using. When funds permitted, I then added a DAC between the computer and the speakers. Another noticeable improvement. Then I upgraded the power supply to the DAC, and so on.

My suggestion would be to first determine whether you'd prefer speakers or headphones. I say that because if you decide to go the speaker route, that would probably be the first thing I'd buy. My guess is that good speakers, even without a DAC right now, would be a considerable improvement over what you are used to. Just to give you an example, I started by connecting a pair of Audioengine A5s directly to my iMac. This was a huge improvement over the crappy speakers I was using. When funds permitted, I then added a DAC between the computer and the speakers. Another noticeable improvement. Then I upgraded the power supply to the DAC, and so on.

I'd agree with all of that. When I started this crazy hobby I had a couple of old Pioneer speakers (1988?) that I thought would be fine, they weren't.

A Best Buy salesman told me as I fretted over what kind of an amp to buy, that it really didn't matter until I had decent speakers. I thought if you had to spend $100 on a speaker it was a crime. :0)

Got a pair of $700 Klipsch, unbelievable improvement. Now I thought I was really cooking. Started visiting this site and discovered rather quickly my precious Klipsch were no big deal. :0)

Was lucky, found a pair of Snell C/V's (1994?). They were $2500-2600 then. Now, I really have a set of speakers, at least I think so. Then I started adding the other components to the system here.

Lesson here was, my initial main expenditure needed to be the speakers (or high end ear phones). Everything else followed that.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Yes, listening through speakers and through headphones are different experiences. I do have both and enjoy both kinds, though at different times and for different reasons. If initially you are limited to one, it makes sense to make sure the one you choose is the one you would prefer to listen to most of the time. Keep in mind that of all the components in a system, transducers (cans or speakers) are the ones likely to contribute the most to your enjoyment of the music, so if you are looking for the greatest bang for the buck, concentrate on those first and decide on a DAC later.

Best luck,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Great thank you all for the advise, I'm going to have to decide on the speaker vs can option before i do pick anything up. I was entertaining the idea of an Audioquest Dragonfly paired with a new set of cans for an affordable listening setup but since the Dragonfly seems to have been marketed as an ultra portable dac/amp combo I don't know wether or not I would benefit more from something that is designed to stay in one place like a larger dac. I am going to look into speaker options today on eBay as a saw a nice set of psb1's for a steal. Thanks again for the help.

Don'tunderestimate the Dragonfly. It can hold its own as a desktop dac, not just as a portable solution. It is easy to switch from cans to speakers at the Dragonfly. One thing to think about, you might want a short extension cable from the dac so that you're not always plugging and unplugging at the dac. If the connection starts acting up you can always replace the cable.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

I am still thinking about the Dragonfly but am also currently entertaining the idea of an Audioengine D1 paired with a set of SR-325's since I primarily listen to nothing but metal. I do love the sound of tube amps (for guitar) but don't know what an amp for headphones would sound like which is why I wanted to give the Valhalla a try from Schiit.