IGNORED

I need a little help...

I looked but I can't find.

I would like if someone could point me to the thread / articals that show you have to rip DVDs and SACDs to audio files. Also what the prefered software is.

Thanks

Darryl

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

SACD requires a specific generation Sony PS3 while DVD is a pretty basic operation. Not sure on the 'rules' of posting methods of violating copywright protection so I'll refrain until the moderator posts something. Sorry.

Just want to mention that DVD/SACD ripping doesn't necessarily have to be a copyright violation, so folks shouldn't be scared of doing legitimate stuff. This isn't the place for a course on copyright law, much less the legal background necessary to put it in context, so I'll just say I recommend taking care to stay on the right side of the law.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Tell me if I understand this correctly.

I can only rip SACDs with a PS3?

That's by far the best way sonically. I think there are methods for doing so with an Oppo disc player through HDMI, but the results aren't going to sound as good. I'm not sure if the Oppo method necessarily involves going from digital to analog and back to digital again, or if there is a way to get digital (PCM?) output through HDMI.

The only way to keep the SACD material you're ripping in the digital domain and DSD format is, yes, to use certain older PS3 units that have older firmware.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That's by far the best way sonically. I think there are methods for doing so with an Oppo disc player through HDMI, but the results aren't going to sound as good. I'm not sure if the Oppo method necessarily involves going from digital to analog and back to digital again, or if there is a way to get digital (PCM?) output through HDMI.

The only way to keep the SACD material you're ripping in the digital domain and DSD format is, yes, to use certain older PS3 units that have older firmware.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

Jud, you can record the PCM digital stream using an Oppo (or other SACD player with HDMI) and a HDMI switch with digital output.

But you're right, the only way to rip SACD while keeping DSD is with an older PS3.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.