IGNORED

Is it possible that CD's are still better?

zenpmd

Now it may be that I am running headphones now (admittedly a very good one - Nuforce HDP and Beyerdynamic T1's) and not speakers, but since moving over to the computer I still have in my memory my friend's dad's set up of a Cyrus amp, cd player and some big speakers, and it was shockingly good. Is there any argument that CD's still sound better?

Thanks

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

IF properly set up, a computer system always has the potential to be better than a CD system.

That really is a big IF as basically a CD is plug and play.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A given CD player + some amp + some speakers in some room can certainly sound better than

a computer + player software + DAC + amp + headphones.

Bill

Are you implying the versa is not true? I know, of course its apple and oranges but I just cannot see how else to explain my current disapointment

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

Now it may be that I am running headphones now (admittedly a very good one - Nuforce HDP and Beyerdynamic T1's) and not speakers, but since moving over to the computer I still have in my memory my friend's dad's set up of a Cyrus amp, cd player and some big speakers, and it was shockingly good. Is there any argument that CD's still sound better?

Thanks

I'm not following this. Your friends dad had an amp, cd player into large speakers and you have a little headphone amp and headphones and wonder why they sound different?

I think you should get back to your friends house with a NAS (with good files) and a network audio player and compare those to his cd player and see what you think.

PS. A qualifier here as I am not a fan of headphones....even great ones.

David

Agree with the previous posters. Even if your sound memory is correct (no offense intended, our long term memory for how things sound is generally poor), I'd say 90% of the difference is due to speakers vs headphones and not to the sources differences.

If you're really not sure, why don't you get yourself a decent CD player for home loan from a dealer or a friend and compare it to your Nuforce on your headphone rig?

I agree with Audio ELF. I don't know the specifics of zenpmd's computer setup. But here's something simple you can try. Google Fidelizer and download it and run it in Extremist mode. Assuming you sit in front of the computer and your music is on a local drive, it should work. Once Fidelizer is done, run JRiver and see if you think things sound better. I have some setups where it makes no difference and others where it makes a huge difference. Worth a try.

I was wondering the same thing a while back so I went out & bought a decent CDP w/ a digital out. Compared CD direct to amp & CD through my DAC. There actually wasn't a huge amount of difference, but CDP direct was not bad, CDP through my DAC was better, but my Mac through the DAC was even better.

Now, I'm not sure if this proves anything, since a CDP & are computer a differenct technologies & you could argue that you could always find a better CD transport that could possibly out-perform the Mac. However, it did satisfy for me the nagging doubt that maybe my setup didn't have all the potential I was seeking in a high-end system.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

I think you have to compare the end object, that is the headphone to the speaker. Some people just like speakers over phones and vice versa. Nothing wrong with one over the other.

Now source material can be tricky. A high end transport over a computer? I don't know, I think you would have to have the very famous golden ears to make a judgement. I enjoy both headphones, from the computer to a tube amp and speakers through a traditional CD > Solid State Amp.

Best of both worlds and the music is fantastic.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Are you implying the versa is not true? I know, of course its apple and oranges but I just cannot see how else to explain my current disapointment

I simply pointed out that you were comparing two systems with a number of differences. You heard a system that sounded better than yours. You focused one possible explanation for the difference you heard.

Bill