IGNORED

Noise and Proximity

zenpmd

Are there certain components that should be moved well away from your DAC and amp? My wireless router is right next to it and I am concerned that it is causing some noise. Is it? What else causes noise?

Thanks

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

Well, you could test some of it yourself.

Feed your DAC output to your analog input on the computer soundcard. Record either silence or a simple sine wave test signal. Look at the result in Audacity using the FFT. You'll have a picture of the noise floor.

Turn off the router and repeat.

See any difference in the noise floor?

Now admittedly there could be other interactions that wouldn't show up in this test. But any that did alter the 20-20khz noise floor certainly are base level effects you need to take care of.

If you do see a difference, you can repeat the test by moving the router or your components and see if you can make the interference go away. Sometimes a few inches makes it disappear or even a 90 degree rotation may drop the effect down in level if you are picking up noise.

Now having looked at this sort of thing some with a couple systems, I would as a precaution keep the router at least 18 inches away from the rest of the system.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Some valve amplifiers are particularly susceptible to cell phone interference.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020