IGNORED

24 bit-perfect streaming to iPad + high storage capacity + portability: which configuration works?

Another recommendation is to use the Seagate Media Synch - which is a free utility that comes with the product. This allows to automated the update of the music library into the Wireless Plus device without much fuzz. I had been doing it manually for a couple of weeks - anytime I changed my iTunes library or got new music, I manually copied the relevant albums/songs into the Wireless Plus device, which can become cumbersome and time consuming.

The Seagate Media Synch utility does recognize and apply only the changes to the files you want to synch with the drive - it works very well and it's fairly fast once you have done the initial synch/upload. This initial synch step took me 4 hour for 700MB of content, but subsequent update operations are of course much faster.

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

Those planes with in flight WiFi are specifically tested and equipped for that. You don't know what happens in a different plane. If everyone would disregard to regulations, well...

Well actually FAA have pretty much said the restrictions are pointless...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 months later...
I'm happy to report that I'm enjoying up to 24/192 music using the following simple configuration:

1- New iPad with CCK

2- Seagate Wireless Plus 1 TB Mobile Device Storage with Built-In Wi-Fi Streaming

3- Meridian Explorer DAC with USB Powered Hub

4- Seagate Media App in the iPad

The Median Explorer lights change to the appropriate rate for the different content that I play. For 176.4 or 192 Khz material, the 3 leds light up, confirming that the music is not being downsampled.

Music nirvana!

Thank you for the very useful thread post about streaming 24 bit audio on an iPad.

I ended up purchasing the Seagate Wireless Plus and have a couple of questions:

1. Were you able to run AIFF files on Seagate's Media application for iPad? I have found the drive to be very finicky about running these files. And tech support was a little less than helpful with the situation. (They didn't even think the drive could or should run them until I pointed them that their own specs for the drive.)

2. Do you know of a way to get the drive to 'stream' & play audio files to any other iOS application - one that might be able to play 24 bit files either in AIFF or FLAC format? (I don't want to 'copy' these files to the iPad each time I want to play them.)

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Thank you for the very useful thread post about streaming 24 bit audio on an iPad.

1. Were you able to run AIFF files on Seagate's Media application for iPad? I have found the drive to be very finicky about running these files.

2. Do you know of a way to get the drive to 'stream' & play audio files to any other iOS application - one that might be able to play 24 bit files either in AIFF or FLAC format? (I don't want to 'copy' these files to the iPad each time I want to play them.)

Can anyone help me with this?

A few partial answers to your questions:

1. I have been able to play AIFF files in the Seagate application without a problem. The only caveat is that the filetype needs to be AIFF, not AIF. I can't however automatically synch up these files with the Seagate Media Synch, I have to copy these files manually. My library is however composed now entirely of high rez files in Apple Lossless to avoid any hassles

2. I have downloaded and used for a while the 8Player application from 8soft. It if faster than the Seagate app, but the navigation and user interface is a bit primitive. I have been able to play FLAC files (along with my Apple Lossless files), but have not been able to play AIF or AIFF files, despite the fact that the software vendor claims support for AIF

Does this help?

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

A few partial answers to your questions:

1. I have been able to play AIFF files in the Seagate application without a problem. The only caveat is that the filetype needs to be AIFF, not AIF. I can't however automatically synch up these files with the Seagate Media Synch, I have to copy these files manually. My library is however composed now entirely of high rez files in Apple Lossless to avoid any hassles

2. I have downloaded and used for a while the 8Player application from 8soft. It if faster than the Seagate app, but the navigation and user interface is a bit primitive. I have been able to play FLAC files (along with my Apple Lossless files), but have not been able to play AIF or AIFF files, despite the fact that the software vendor claims support for AIF

Does this help?

Thanks for your insights. So far I've found the drive to be pretty fussy about its wifi connection. But I have been able to get some 24 bit performance from it. Could I trouble you with a few more questions?

1. Is it just a matter of changing the name of the AIF tracks to AIFF while the tracks are actually on the WLP? Or does this have to be done during the ripping process?

2. Do you have any insight about how long to wait while the iPad appears to be indexing (caching) or whatever it does while processing newly added tracks? This process seems to me to be where most of the 'hanging' of the drive takes place. Especially, if this 'indexing' process is rushed.

3. Do you have any insights about how to handle the drive when it goes into its 'zombie' state - and will not turn off (with both lights on)? At this point the drive no longer sounds like it's running and the only way I've found to get it to turn off is to (gulp) let it run until the battery completely drains.

Thanks for your insights. So far I've found the drive to be pretty fussy about its wifi connection. But I have been able to get some 24 bit performance from it. Could I trouble you with a few more questions?

1. Is it just a matter of changing the name of the AIF tracks to AIFF while the tracks are actually on the WLP? Or does this have to be done during the ripping process?

2. Do you have any insight about how long to wait while the iPad appears to be indexing (caching) or whatever it does while processing newly added tracks? This process seems to me to be where most of the 'hanging' of the drive takes place. Especially, if this 'indexing' process is rushed.

3. Do you have any insights about how to handle the drive when it goes into its 'zombie' state - and will not turn off (with both lights on)? At this point the drive no longer sounds like it's running and the only way I've found to get it to turn off is to (gulp) let it run until the battery completely drains.

1. I had done it in the past by just changing the name and it works fine (I use Mac O/S on a Mac Mini)

2. For my library and in my iPad 3, it takes about 20 minutes to finish the indexing the first time it is loaded into the drive. For subsequent updates, the amount of time for indexing has been minimal. My library is about 800GB and 12,000 songs. The indexing time improved dramatically with a Seagate firmware update that was made available about 2 months ago. Before that firmware update it took way longer, and the indexing times were more unpredictable.

3. I did experience the "zombie" state you describe before upgrading to the latest firmware version. Since the upgrade, I have not had a single issue, the drive turns on and off in a reliable way.

• 1 month later...

I don't think there is enough people that want to do what needs to be done to play hi rez files from an iPad. I think it's probably best to wait until they can update their products to include 24 bit DACs internally as i see that EVENTUALLY it will be cost effective to do that, but for now, I just listen to my hi rez files on my home stereo.

16 Bit AAC files that have been done at 256 bit rate aren't too bad for iPad/iPod/iPhone/mobile device listening through ear buds and in the car for now. Sure 24 bit would be better, but is it worth the extra money, etc. to do it? For some of us sure, but for most of us, it's just a little more involvement and the file sizes quickly eat up storage.

System consists of Late 2012 iMac, i5, 1TB Fusion drive, 16GB RAM, Drobo Mini w/4-256GB SSD, MIT StyleLink USB Plus, MIT CVT Terminator 1 Bi-Wire, Totem Mani-2 Signature, Bel Canto C5i. I go back and forth between Pure Music, Audirvana, Bit Perfect, Amarra as they all have features I like. I like to mix it up from time to time. :-)

• 7 months later...

Just in case someone is interested even in wi-fi stream native DSD here the updated guide....

iPad iPhone with 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity / portability : bit-perfect wi-fi streaming.

Which configuration works without downsampling?

Since iOS 7 both iPad and iPhone are now able to receive bit-perfect wi-fi stream up to 24/192Khz PCM or DSD to feed a compatible USB DAC with a CCK or the newer LtUSBCA.

Older iOS make the iPad the only iDevice capable to use USB OUT to feed a USB DAC.

So I still keep the old guide here for those who own an old iPad 1 with iOS 5.

Even DSD to iOS is now possible via wi-fi, at the end I'll show how to do it.

My goal for 24 bit or DSD bit-perfect portable setup:

iPad or iPhone with no jailbreak and no DIY hardware mods

Server/player easy to setup and start with at least cover arts and auto play next (gapless not indispensable)

High storage capacity (500GB+)

Internet connection or router not required to work

CCK or LtUSBCA connected to USB DAC or dedicated DAC/Amp

All battery powered

iPad has limited storage capacity, which must be addressed for those big 24 bit files.

Apps which play local stored files (stock player or Flac Player for usopported format) are less useful and if you add storage to the dock out you can't output digital files to an external DAC.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: Any point in the chain could downsample data: HW, server software, settings, player, iOS version and iDevice used all do matter.

For portability of some sort, before iOS 7 the iPad was the only iDevice (without jailbreak) confirmed working without downsampling 24 bit / 96 Khz files in any point in the chain and only under specific configurations that I'll recap here:

1) Camera Connection Kit (older iPads) or the newer Lighting to USB Camera Adapter.

2) 24 bit USB DACs that don't require a driver to work at 1.1 USB specs and must provide power via USB PORT.

3) USB Hubs battery powered, powered with portable USB battery chargers or iPad powered (20mA MAX), if the USB DAC works driverless but do not provide power via USB port.

4) Specific server/iPad player combos. For portability everywhere we need a portable battery powered high storage wi-fi UPnP/DLNA server (500GB+) with bundled software player (or able to use a third-party app) capable to stream 24 bit-perfect data. For portability at home there are more choices, that I'll recap later.

Points 1), 2), 3) are potentially addressable with a dedicated DAC for iPad similar to:

iFi Nano iDSD (DAC/Amp combo) tested and confirmed with DSD too!!! (SEE INFOS AT THE BOTTOM)

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo (DAC only) officially supports 24 bit for iPad only (see page 7 of the FAQ not the manual), but needs to be confirmed by users, testing its own digital coax out to an external dac able to display bit/samples effectively received.

CEntrance HiFi-M8 (DAC/Amp combo) officially supports up to 192Khz, but I think only 96Khz for iPad, without digital out can't be tested with an external DAC able to display bit/freq.

Sony PHA-1 (DAC/Amp combo) officially supports up to 24/96, but without digital out can't be tested with an external DAC able to display bit/freq.

There are a lot of other dedicated DACs for iDevices, but they're limited at 16 bit / 44.1 KHz.

Point 1): without a dedicated iPad DAC you need a CCK or the newer LtUSBCA to use USB digital audio out from iPad.

For Point 2) be careful that not any powered USB DAC/Amp works, since we have two problems to solve, it needs to:

a) work driverless at USB 1.1 specs (= up to 24bit/96Khz).

b) the USB PORT of the DAC must provide power, IF NOT, a USB HUB is always needed (see Point 3).

Since latest iOS iPad always checks for power req of the device asking data (USB DAC) indipendently if it's powered or not.

Example 1: the M2Tech Young DAC is a powered desktop USB DAC, but it works only with drivers, so it won't work with iPad/CCK USB out.

Example 2: the iBasso D7 portable USB DAC/Amp isn't powered and iPad is unable to power it, but it works driverless at USB 1.1 specs and adding a USB charger and USB Hub it works.

Example 3: the Antelope Zodiac is a powered desktop DAC, it will works up to 384Khz with drivers, but also up to 96Khz driverless and it has a powered USB port, so it'll works without the need for a USB Hub.

Note: some USB DACs that works are unable to process any sample rates up to their max supported (96 max but no 88.2 or 192 max but no 176.4 Khz support), it depends on the USB chip and number of clocks installed.

I'll list here any portable battery powered 24 bit USB DAC/Amp (none so far) or unpowered but working (see point 3 for details) up to at least 96 Khz and which are not dedicated to iDevice only:

Meridian Explorer up to 192Khz + point 3).

iBasso D7 up to 192Khz but not 176.4Khz + point 3).

CEntrance DacPort up to 96 Khz + point 3).

Audioquest Dragonfly up to 96 Khz, reported working without point 3) but still to be confirmed with latest iOS firmware.

Schiit Modi up to 96 Khz, reported working without point 3) but still to be confirmed with latest iOS firmware.

HRT microStreamer up to 96 Khz, reported working without point 3) but still to be confirmed with latest iOS firmware.

For Point 3), if the USB port of the DAC doesn't provide power for the attached device (so to pass iPad power check), we need a USB Hub battery powered, powered by USB battery chargers or directly powered from iPad/CCK up to 20mA MAX (the last one is now avaiable and the best solution). USB Hubs by definition pass data and power via each USB port.

Most USB chargers are not Hubs, data pins are not connected so they provide only power; a few are able to pass data exclusively via USB OUT (not via mini USB IN used to recharge) so at least two USB OUT are needed (1x iPad, 1x USB DAC) making them real Hubs.

The old solution to use a USB Y cable (one of the three ends is power only) to provide power to the USB DAC doesn't work anymore, with the latest iOS, iPad will check power requirements of the device asking data (USB DAC).

Only a USB Hubs in the middle do the trick and activate iPad USB digital out: if the USB Hub is powered any USB port will provide power; if the USB Hub is unpowered it must work at 20mA MAX to be powered directly from iPad (like Unitek USB Hub cable).

I'll update the list here of USB Hubs battery powered (or USB chargers with at least two USB OUT) or directly powered from iPad/CCK up to 20mA MAX which are the most interesting:

Unitek USB cable with Hub: powered directly from iPad/CCK USB out, is avaiable with different connectors to USB DACs (USB female, male mini USB and male micro USB) the male USB-A connector must be plugged to iPad/CCK.

Thanks to whodiini for suggesting this USB cable + Hub.

The US eBay link is USB 2 0 90 Degree Angled Male to 2 Female Extension Data Hub Rainbow Color Cable | eBay. If you are in eBay Italy just search "prolunga USB HUB" and you'll find plenty.

Also check seeteeyou post #85 at page 6 in this thread for additional links to various types.

On Lite H420B: 4 rechargeable batteries that you can change/add at will (NOT WORKING RELIABLY).

D-Tech solar/battery powerd USB Hub (4 USB, 1 mini USB): solar power not capable to feed USB DAC/Amp, battery last 1 hour max.

Tekkeon MP1860A (2 USB OUT, 1 mini USB IN) USB charger + data pass (still to be confirmed).

For Point 4) and portability everywhere we need a portable battery powered high storage wi-fi UPnP/DLNA NAS (500GB+) with bundled server software and player (or able to use a third-party app) capable to stream 24 bit-perfect data.

Seagate GoFlex Satellite (now bettered by newest Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB) works with bundled software, it does not transcode/convert files and is able to stream any files the device supports or files supported by third-party apps like 8player. It has some DLNA capability (but not fully certified).

Buffalo MiniStation Air (500 GB) not yet released and incomplete infos, will come with its iOS dedicated app.

Patriot Gauntled Node (hard disk not included, you can choose storage capacity), is confirmed not working bit-perfect with bundled software (zzffnn reported working with SAMBA streaming which, even if bit-perfect possible, is rouled out=long start up time, too long loading each file, no cover art, no background play, no browsing while play,...).

I'll update the list here:

Seagate Wireless Plus (1TB)

Seagate GoFlex Satellite (500GB, latest FW can use internet while streaming) discontinued.

For Point 4) and portability at home we have more choices since there are lots of server software avaiable built-in a NAS or a computer system.

My favourites are:

a) Logitech Media Server + iPeng Player (audio only. In-app purchase needed, no need to have a Logitech device).

b) Twonky Media Server or any similar DLNA/UPnP server + 8player.

c) iTunes Home Sharing + stock player (audio/video but only for officially supported iPad formats).

All setups are tested using external DAC able to display bit/freq received and which does not resample incoming data.

iTHS/stock iPad player isn't a good solution: limited formats support and a really bad interface.

For music only, LMS/iPeng is the best configs right now: great sound quality, FLAC support (no need to convert files neither in the server), cover arts in any directory, better browser organization and faster interface,... Sound quality differences are not strange since any software player do something in a different way (JRiver, Foobar, WMP, iTunes, JPlay,...): bits are not just bits in digital audio, "time" matter a lot.

BUT iPeng officially will never support UPnP/DLNA and LMS is not installed in any portable battery powered wi-fi server.

The solution for UPnP/DLNA servers streaming 24 bit-perfect data with support for all audio/video formats is to use 8player. Don't bother with any other app since until now most won't work bit-perfect, have bad file support and miss fundamental features (background play, play while browsing library, play on the fly, auto play next, cover arts,...). You can use 8player with the Seagate GoFlex Satellite (UPnP/DLNA wi-fi battery powered server) for audio/video portability everywhere. But I'm still unsure if FLACs are bit-perfect, since the displays stick with last ALAC played regardles FLACs bit/freq played.

A solution at home is to instruct the server to transcode FLACs to WAV and you've a bit-perfect setup without converting FLAC files.

Remember, most UPnP/DLNA iPad players won't work at 24 bit-perfect audio data:

PlugPlayer or AceMusic players for example always downsample regardless of wi-fi type, streaming server settings and configs used.

I'll update the list here for any UPnP/DLNA iPad player working 24 bit-perfect and have most fundamental features:

8player (even if not transcoded in server, FLACs play but still unsure if bit-perfect)

Other iDevices (without jailbreak) are generally limited to a max official support of 24 bit / 48 Khz, which could be fine, but without a CCK, you need a desktop digital dock which is not portable neither at home or a dedicated iDevice DAC/Amp.

iTHS/stock Apple player is limited to 16 bit for iPhone/iPod touch.

LMS/iPeng officially support 24/48 for iPhone/iPod Touch, but needs to be confirmed.

Cypher Labs AR Solo supports 24 bit for iPad only, but could works, a direct test needed from its digital coax out.

Sony HPA-1 supports up to 24/96 but it's uncertain if it's for iPad only and without a digital out it's impossible to check.

Fostex HP-P1 was potentially a good choice (32 bit DAC/Amp combo) but it's limited at 16/48 and iPad not even supported (even if reported working at 16 bit).

iPod Classic 160GB (without wi-fi and third-party apps) works with 24 bit / 48 Khz files only in the sense that it'll be able to play them but it will always downsample to 16 bit before reaching the DAC section.

VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 will always downsample to 48Khz (thanks to AnakChan for reporting).

I'll update any possible portable 24 bit solution for other iDevices here:

(none confirmed)

BIT-PERFECT DSD STREAMING TO iOS (using a DoPE server)

With a compatible USB DSD DAC (like iFi Nano iDSD) you can stream DSD natively (bit-perfect) to iOS without converting to PCM (which is not the purer or best performance path to follow).

A very important thing for wi-fi streaming is that if you've set the server to convert on-the-fly DSD to 24bit PCM, you can't stream big DSD files (over 10 min) to iOS, with DSF files you can and with better sound!

Follow these instructions to stream DSD to iPad natively using JRiver MC 19 server (DoPE=DSD over PCM Ethernet) and 8player:

In JRiver MC19 go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>MEDIA NETWORK>ADD OR CONFIGURE DLNA SERVERS... >ADVANCED check "Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer)"

In iOS, with the CCK or LtUSBA connected to the USB DAC (iDSD), start 8player seek JRMC19 library and play DSD bit-perfectly!

(NOTE= since JRiver server sends native DSD this way, you can't stream to a PCM renderer a DSD file anymore).

This trick should work with any DoPE server, just check for the specific stream setting.

Since wi-fi streaming DSD to iPad it's possible using a DoPE server let's seek a wireless storage portable server that can do it.

I'm happy to report that I'm enjoying up to 24/192 music using the following simple configuration:

1- New iPad with CCK

2- Seagate Wireless Plus 1 TB Mobile Device Storage with Built-In Wi-Fi Streaming

3- Meridian Explorer DAC with USB Powered Hub

4- Seagate Media App in the iPad

The Median Explorer lights change to the appropriate rate for the different content that I play. For 176.4 or 192 Khz material, the 3 leds light up, confirming that the music is not being downsampled.

Music nirvana!

I use my Ipad in the manner as well but my major concern is keeping the ipad charge. Has any one heard of or came up with a solution with tackling this problem.

I use my Ipad in the manner as well but my major concern is keeping the ipad charge. Has any one heard of or came up with a solution with tackling this problem.

If I understand correctly... The new iFi Mini iDSD will charge a device from its internal battery while playing.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

If I understand correctly... The new iFi Mini iDSD will charge a device from its internal battery while playing.

Eloise

Well, the new Micro coming out mid-July does not, per iFi:

"This is because we have a whopper of a battery onboard and it has a nifty circuit to perform charging when the iDSD is powered-off (sorry folks, cant enjoy hi-res AND recharge your device simultaneously)."

but maybe you know something about a future Mini;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Well, the new Micro coming out mid-July does not, per iFi:

Oops sorry i meant the Micro.

"This is because we have a whopper of a battery onboard and it has a nifty circuit to perform charging when the iDSD is powered-off (sorry folks, cant enjoy hi-res AND recharge your device simultaneously)."

Now I'm confused... Cause on the Micro iDSD page it says...

SmartPower® is the micro iDSD’s onboard recharging feature for Smartdevices. Its 4800mAH battery is able to fully recharge an iPhone two-times. Compatible with Apple and Android, phones and tablets, it is another example of iFi’s commitment to customer needs – enjoy high-end audio on the go without worrying about the phone going flat.

See the bolded part... Isn't that what we're talking about?

but maybe you know something about a future Mini;)

Someone has to know something ... But do iFi know anything :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

Oops sorry i meant the Micro.

Now I'm confused... Cause on the Micro iDSD page it says...

SmartPower® is the micro iDSD’s onboard recharging feature for Smartdevices. Its 4800mAH battery is able to fully recharge an iPhone two-times. Compatible with Apple and Android, phones and tablets, it is another example of iFi’s commitment to customer needs – enjoy high-end audio on the go without worrying about the phone going flat.

See the bolded part... Isn't that what we're talking about?

Someone has to know something ... But do iFi know anything :-)

Eloise

No need to be confused - they are saying it can *recharge* iPhones, etc., up to two times. It *cannot* power the iPhone / iPad, etc., at the same time as it is playing - unfortunately. That would be the bee's knees :)

I don't see a whole lot of usage from the recharger function, frankly. If I need to recharge my phone, I'm usually within reach of a wall socket; e.g., on a long overseas flight, there are seat back power outlets I can use throughout the flight, at airports, there are usually sockets available, etc. I could see it coming in handy if I'm on a multi-hour layover somewhere where US-style plugs are not available and I'm too lazy to pull out my adapter kit - Heathrow, looking at you ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

No need to be confused - they are saying it can *recharge* iPhones, etc., up to two times. It *cannot* power the iPhone / iPad, etc., at the same time as it is playing - unfortunately. That would be the bee's knees :)

So you can't "enjoy high-end audio on the go without worrying about the phone going flat" because while listening to your high-end audio your battery IS being discharged. Frankly iFi (and not suggesting its anything to do with you John) your marketing is claiming something which isn't right. Either you can listen to music OR you can recharge the battery - you can't do both at the same time.

I don't see a whole lot of usage from the recharger function, frankly. If I need to recharge my phone, I'm usually within reach of a wall socket; e.g., on a long overseas flight, there are seat back power outlets I can use throughout the flight, at airports, there are usually sockets available, etc.

I agree - I can't see the point of the recharge if you can't use it while playing.

I could see it coming in handy if I'm on a multi-hour layover somewhere where US-style plugs are not available and I'm too lazy to pull out my adapter kit - Heathrow, looking at you ;)

Of course if the US just adopted a proper main connector like we have in the UK there wouldn't be a problems when you're at Heathrow! :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

Those enormous plugs?! With their built in fiddly fuses? No thanks! ;)

At least they don't fall out the socket.

And at least they don't cause the house to burn down if you overload the plug.

And at least being enormous plugs the fuse is less fiddly than they might otherwise be :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

So you can't "enjoy high-end audio on the go without worrying about the phone going flat" because while listening to your high-end audio your battery IS being discharged. Frankly iFi (and not suggesting its anything to do with you John) your marketing is claiming something which isn't right. Either you can listen to music OR you can recharge the battery - you can't do both at the same time.

I agree - I can't see the point of the recharge if you can't use it while playing.

Of course if the US just adopted a proper main connector like we have in the UK there wouldn't be a problems when you're at Heathrow! :-)

Eloise

Thanks guy's for all of your input maybe apple will come out with a different CCK that would allow users to send data and

charge while listening to our hi-rez files on the go.

Thanks guy's for all of your input maybe apple will come out with a different CCK that would allow users to send data and charge while listening to our hi-rez files on the go.

j dub - I assume from this comment you have some link to iFi?

If so, perhaps you should make it clearer on your website that charging and playback cannot occur at the same time.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 2 years later...

bjast, Try to download Neutron Player from the App store, or any other with SMB network (8player, ace player).

I preffer Neutron, has a good rate with 24bit 192khz FLAC files or DSD files and a lot of features for audiophile, included SMB Network.

Remember that Seagate Wireless has an SMB Network.

If you wont a Hires system, first you need is a pair of monitors (like Shure srh980), second thing is a Fiio L19 digital cable for your iPod touch (5t and 6th generation), iPhone or Ipad (29USD) (lightning to micro usb digital cable). These cable (L19) is the simplest way to connect an iDevice to a DAC.

Third thing you need is a DAC AMP (as Fiio e18) to receive the digital audio data.

1. Were you able to run AIFF files on Seagate's Media application for iPad? I have found the drive to be very finicky about running these files. And tech support was a little less than helpful with the situation. (They didn't even think the drive could or should run them until I pointed them that their own specs for the drive.)

I have read through this, but suspect I am missing something, or it simply cannot be done.

For wifi streaming of LMS I am using:

iPad 2 running iOS 9.5.2

iPeng 9 with replay purchased

30 pin CCK

iFi iDSD Nano LE with supplied cabling

NuForce iems

I can stream music to the iPad no problem. I can decode 16/44.1, 24/88.2, 24/96.

24/192 files appear to be being decoded as 24/96 based on the LED light on the iFi.

Is the iPad 2 capable of 24/192 in my environment?