IGNORED

Does this make sense

iamimdoc

I set up a Tight VNC server on my brothers laptop. Old and slow. Wireless. All of his music is local to pc.

I placed a VNC client on his Ipad1

It works but slowly. The Vnc client has trouble logging on initially to the VNC server. Logging on works better if I move in his hallway outside his music room area. Once logged on, it works, although slowly, in the room.

His house is large and he has a repeater upstairs (based on recommendations of the install guy). Going to the hallway moves me closer to the repeater.

But, the iPad gets on the Internet seemingly spiffily in the music room. Web pages come apparently quickly, etc. Google works well, etc.

I told him I thought it was the back and forth of pc to repeater to router and back, etc.

But, is this right is my question?

If so why does the iPad work well when not using the VNC?

Any simple solutions outside of wired communications?

Thanks

It'll help people to help you if we get a bit more information on what it is you want to do. I'm guessing that you want to control the PC remotely over the wireless so that you can control the music?

If that's so, then I'd think about not using VNC anymore. What music playing software is on the PC? If it's not a chore then I'd look into trying a player on the PC which can work with a different remote software on the Ipad. JRiver springs to mind but if you look over this board you'll see there are other choices of player software which can be controlled with various remote-control apps on the Ipad. Maybe you've already got one running on the PC anyway.

But if you really need full control over the PC i.e. to see the screen etc, then try an alternative to VNC - but sorry I'm not sure what else is there which would be less bandwidth demanding than it is.

Synology DS211J NAS-->CAPS2-->Bifrost -->Audioengine A5+ actives

same-->Macbook Pro 2010-->Audirvana-->Audiinst HUD MX-1-->Grado 325i headphones

same-->wireless bridge-->Sonos-->MF VDAC1-->Yaqin MC100B-->Celestion A3

I just want to know if my explanation is correct or not

I use VNC at my house and it works fine for me

I am just trying to understand why VNC is slow but operating Google is not. Seems to me I am downloading screens of info with Google, for example, and it should be slow also

On login VNC has to transport the initial screen content, afterwards only region updates, from the server to the router and back to the client. Thus you will experience network congestion especially during login.

If the client - router path has a reasonable throughput, the problem may lie with the server - router connection. With older hardware you should (1) reduce screen resolution on the server, if possible, (2) reduce color depth on the server (16 bit should be OK) and (3) optimize VNC for a slow connection speed. TightVNC lets you choose connection speed and options on startup.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Agree with everyone's comments. My only additional suggestion is that if you want to find out whether the problem is with your brother's old laptop's CPU/HDD speed or whether it's with the old laptop's wireless connection, you should really try to plug the laptop into a router via Ethernet cables and then use the iPad to wirelessly VNC in to see if there's a speed improvement. If there is, you know the problem is with the laptop's WiFi. If there isn't, the problem is with the speed of the laptop. I suspect the problem is likely both.

Btw, when you say you don't have the same problem at home, I assume you're not using your brother's laptop at your home...

The idea of multiple wireless "hops" affecting speed of connection does make sense - but I think the answer is more likely in the speed of the computer running VNC server...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I use caps 1 at my house. It lags a bit with j. River and 120 k files but seems to be ok with VNC

Not sure I can find along enough cable from his router but will see the next time I visit if it can be done

May take another laptop next visit and try that too

I also thought every time a repeater was added, things slowed down (but area covered was better). Is this correct/not correct?

Thanks to all for advice under any circumstance

I also thought every time a repeater was added, things slowed down (but area covered was better). Is this correct/not correct?

Correct. It is not an issue if you have a good internet speed to begin with. On the other hand if you are using it only as a local network it really should not be the bottleneck. I'm betting it's his laptop that is the culprit here.

David