IGNORED

67 yrs. old...computer audio

I've recently have become interested computer audio... at 67 I'm not very computer savvy. Have a ASUS Eee PC 1000HE XP netbook (2 GB upgrade, 1.66 GHz and 1.75 GHz in super high power mode)... don't use except for internet radio. Would like to start downloading cd's and using computer as source sometimes. Read, you can upgrade this computer to Windows 7 and 64 bits... can I use this computer or buy something else? (rest of system on my page)

I also have an Asus netbook that is a pretty nice machine BUT, the limits on netbook memory and the lack of a CD drive are limiters. IMHO you need at least 4GB of memory and 8 is better. If it was me, I would buy even a basic PC with more memory and then load J-River software.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

I've recently have become interested computer audio... at 67 I'm not very computer savvy. Have a ASUS Eee PC 1000HE XP netbook (2 GB upgrade, 1.66 GHz and 1.75 GHz in super high power mode)... don't use except for internet radio. Would like to start downloading cd's and using computer as source sometimes. Read, you can upgrade this computer to Windows 7 and 64 bits... can I use this computer or buy something else? (rest of system on my page)

Welcome aboard. I am afraid because I am a Mac guy I can't offer much in advise on the basics of a Windows based system. However, there are other basic things that make good sense to any system. Back up, back up, back up! Whether you rip CDs from your own collection or buy downloads of albums start right away with a back up plan. Many people prefer third pary software to rip, transcode downloaded files and to manage their music library database. Many use iTunes to perform most functions but JRiver, Foobar and DB poweramp are names I see a lot of Windows users mention.

If you hadn't see them yet read the FAQ on this site and check into the several excellent tutorials posted by Chris, the host of CA.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Hi, You ceratinly can start with this system, but to be honest something more powerful would be better. To be more specific, don't try to upgrade to Windows 7, it probably would not run anyway but would degrade performance. The processor is 32 bits and there is nothing you can do about it. This sort of processor and memory is OK for playing audio, even HD, but Windows does have a habit of running its own processes in the background which can mess things up so you should shut down everything that you don't need. If you want to rip your own CDs you will need a USB CD drive and then install search for EAC and install it. To playback get one of the many USB DACs and hook that into your system, or straight to headphones. You can run JRiver or perhaps Foobar2000 might be a bit better on such a machine. When I am away and in hotel rooms I do most of my listening through a similar spec. Samsung netbook with a USB drive to hold all my CDs in FLAC format, and an Arcam rPac through to Senheiser 'phones. If you are really into computers you can get a lot more out of limited power machines by running Linux instead of Windows, but you have to know what you are doing!

In short, if you can afford it get a more powerful machine with at least a twin-core processor, 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter, more memory and its own CD drive. You will want a USB DAC anyway.

Mike (just coming up to 65 myself!)

Hi-

I'm running a dual core ATOM PC with 2GB Ram and Windows 7 32 bit as a music server and it works fine. I use JRiver and SB Server and

-I play hi-res and DSD files (very large) with no problem.

The caveat is that I use it only as a music server, and as mentioned, run minimal processes on it. That's what you should do if you want it to work well and sound it's best.

Your netbook may actually run Windows7 32 bit better than XP. Counter-intuitive, but often true. You can only try it and see. If you stay with XP, you need to set it up for playback using ASIO or kernel streaming drivers, so that you bypass the kmixer software built into XP.

I see in your system setup that you have a MF M1A DAC. So you have a built in USB converter to connect the netbook. If I was you, I'd try that. If you like the sound, fine.

If not, try a USB>SPDIF converter like the MF V-link II or the M2Tech HiFace. In many cases these dedicated USB interfaces improve the sound of computer audio into a DAC that doesn't have the greatest USB interface.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm your contemporary - welcome to a life-long passion. Your netbook should be fine for music, as long as the processor's got nothing else to do. You might consider isolating this device from the internet and/or disabling your antivirus background scanning, automatic updates etc while listening. I use Foobar on my 8 year old Toshiba laptop (XP) in our bedroom, and it's more than up to the task even with a wireless network connection.

Just don't compromise, e.g. don't connect both an external HD and a DAC to the USB bus. Use NAS and connect to your network via ethernet or wireless, reserving your USB port for the DAC. You can rip CDs via a USB CD transport. I've found Foobar to be excellent both for ripping and for playing. What you want to avoid is using the same port and bus for both source input and audio output.

Spending a bit more money will get you minimal marginal increase in sound quality at best. You'll have to spend a lot for an improvement that will wow you, and whether it'll even make your eyes go wide depends on how wow-able you are. I'd use what you have to gain real familiarity with digital audio, and wait for the inevitable need to replace before worrying about anything but the music.