IGNORED

To fans of Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle"

A good 30 years ago, I once owned and immensely enjoyed listening to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's Original Master Recording (OMR) half-speed mastered vinyl album of the Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle". It was full of immaculate sound in every sense of the word.

Last week, I managed to track down (for a not-so-bad price of $175) a brand new copy (unopened) of the MoFi OMR vinyl album of FLaE at Amazon.com. I am also aware that the 30th anniversary CD of FLaE has been out for 6 years now, but I have never heard this CD.

If you are a big fan of this album, and you wanted the best sounding version of it on your computer, would you....

1. buy the MoFi OMR vinyl and use it as a "master" source (for A to D conversion on your turntable).....OR

2. try the 30th anniversary FLaE CD as a "master" source? (for D to A conversion)???

I do not own a turntable, but I'd love to hear some of your input.

Thanks!

A good 30 years ago, I once owned and immensely enjoyed listening to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's Original Master Recording (OMR) half-speed mastered vinyl album of the Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle". It was full of immaculate sound in every sense of the word.

Last week, I managed to track down (for a not-so-bad price of $175) a brand new copy (unopened) of the MoFi OMR vinyl album of FLaE at Amazon.com. I am also aware that the 30th anniversary CD of FLaE has been out for 6 years now, but I have never heard this CD.

If you are a big fan of this album, and you wanted the best sounding version of it on your computer, would you....

1. buy the MoFi OMR vinyl and use it as a "master" source (for A to D conversion on your turntable).....OR

2. try the 30th anniversary FLaE CD as a "master" source? (for D to A conversion)???

I do not own a turntable, but I'd love to hear some of your input.

Thanks!

If I were you, I'd buy the CD unless I knew someone really into doing the A>D from vinyl and save yourself $150. This is not to put vinyl down, but a proper rig to digitize is pricey.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi audiophile65,

I would tend to agree with Forrest that unless you know someone or can pay for a conversion service you might be best served by buying the 30th Anniversary CD. I would bet that the Mobile Fidelity LP played back on a good analog front end would sound better than the CD and if you could find a way to do the analog to digital conversion at say 24/176.4 or 24/192 with a high quality analog front end and a high quality AD converter that would sound better than the CD as well. But unless you can do find a way to do that, I would opt for the CD.