IGNORED

Asus Soundcard Problems

Rat44

Downloaded and used the Asus drivers.

Made the computer unusable and had to use system restore to roll back the system.

That's mighty odd. Are you totally sure that you have the drivers for your operating system?

I installed the drivers from the disc and my pc locked too.

Then I looked carefully and what I'd done is installed Vista 64-bit -

I saw the 64-bit part but my eyes missed "Vista".

Got Windows 7 64-bit drivers and all ok.

It's been very good until yesterday, I blame that little plastic plug.

Rat44,

Try this if you like, and feel a little adventuresome.

1.) If you can drive to get an ST card, and they'll refund your money if you don't like it, go get it.

2.) Make sure there are no remnants of the old Asus audio drivers on your sys.

3.) Create a restore point.

4.) Goto bios and turn off on board audio harware. Don't know if this is absolutely necessary, but Asus tech. recommended it to me. (Phone Asus computer tech assistance for help if you don't know how to do this.)

5.) Disable or remove all other audio drivers.

6.) Do download from Asus for latest win drivers applicable to your OS for Asus Xonar ST.

7.) Follow directions given for install of card and software.

8.) I had to mess around for an hour after install to get everything working right, try it with windows media player first. You might want to download Foobar 2000 (it's free) as an additional media player, with additional options Wasapi, etc. Some audiophiles use this player.

Maybe someone will add to this list, if I missed anything.

Let us know how it goes, good luck...

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Sorry, missed something. You can try the stx as well if the st is not available at the store, I believe the st is a bit better, but I believe Chris' review was on a stx...

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

I pretty much followed all of those steps in the DX and DS installs.

No shop local carries the card at the moment,went to pick up an STX and they were out.

Thats how I wound up trying the DX.

Looking at the ESI Julia,they have a new PCI-E version out now.

Nobody seems to have any new right now though.

All very annoying. Hope that you can solve the problems.

Mine was working yesterday but not now. Ordered a new mini adapter.

On another site I saw a note that the Optical Amplifier is socketed and replacing it with LM4562NA makes a vast improvement,

ordered one those too.

The X-Fi is going back in.

Vetteran

Asus cards such as the Xonar DS feature an I.C. socket for the stereo L and R channels only.

The default opamp is the common 5532D which is made by many different manufacturers. It can be replaced by many different compatible I.C.s such as the LM4562/ LME49720, OPA2134 etc. Some people find the LM4562 to sound a little too bright,and fatigueing in this application.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020