IGNORED

Asus Soundcard Problems

Rat44

My EMU card does not work due to lack of drivers for Win 7/64.

I am presently using the on-board audio of my motherboard.

Purchased an Asus soundcard (Xonar DX)and it crackled badly so I took it back and exchanged for another model.

After installing the new one (Xonar DS) the computer kept locking up.

The Asus software hosed my system ,took a lot of work just to get it working again.

Is this just a chipset issue with my motherboard (Asus M3A-H) or is this a problem with the Xonar cards ?

"I recently returned this card to Amazon - primarily because the Windows-7 drivers do not work! I replaced the card with a SoundBlaster XiFi Gamer which installed perfectly out of the box.

The first time, the Windows-7 drivers crashed my computer, fortunately I was able to recover from the previous restore point. I tried alternate drivers, but the sound was erratic. I followed the instructions and monitored the dpa latency - but that did not work. The Asus support is not very good. (Please note, I own an Asus motherboard and an Asus video card). You would think that an Asus audio card would work with an Asus motherboard and video card."

Review for Asus DS at: Amazon.com: ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card: Electronics

Welcome Rat44,

I used an Asus Xonar ST (approx $202 at newegg) for awhile when I first got the audiophile bug. Read it's review in the C.A.S.H. list of reviews. It worked very well with my Asus computer. I now use it as an excellent s/pdif bridge to an off board dac.

The Asus DS may not have the quality that you are looking for, and as is noted, can create problems.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Thanks for that info.

Thats why I decided to try the cheaper one first,seems the ST and STX are fine cards IF they work in your system.

I would like to have the capability to work with 24/192 files.

The EMU 404 was a great card, it just wouldn't work after I upgraded to Win 7.

I also use an Asus motherboard and video card together and never had any issues before.

Rat44,

The A. Xonar ST, is considered by several to be a superior card, although an older model, because of an extra clock, as compared to the STX.

Check it out yourself...

Good Luck,

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Another reason to avoid the STX. I am not aware of any similiar problem with the ST, nor have I read anything. I do not use headphones with my system.

Jim

My motherboard will support the ST and thats what I was favoring for a new card.

I use analog stereo gear .

The choices that use analog connectors is limited.

I was also looking at the julia but it seems to have driver issues also.

Was hoping that an alternative driver was available for the Xonar but that does not appear to be an option from what I can find.

I have used a cheaper Asus card, as well as at present an Asus Xonar D2X with my old Intel 965LTCK motherboard.

I use the latest Asus (ASIO) Win7 driver from the Asus site, and have never had any problems.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It should be noted that there were only a handful of reports, and no further reports in that thread in the Asus Support forum in the last 12 months.

I have a friend who uses the Essence and has no problems with his W7 setup either.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Purchased an Asus soundcard (Xonar DX)and it crackled badly so I took it back and exchanged for another model.

The Asus software hosed my system ,took a lot of work just to get it working again.

Is this just a chipset issue with my motherboard (Asus M3A-H) or is this a problem with the Xonar cards ?

I went through the same issues until I went with a USB powered DAC, just upgraded to the HRT Streamer II+.

No complicated drivers, no hassles, and isolated circuit noise, the difference in sound (between onboard and outboard) is stunning.

For what you spend on the Xonar, you could throw in a bit more and get the entry level Streamer II.

I went through the same issues until I went with a USB powered DAC, just upgraded to the HRT Streamer II+.

No complicated drivers, no hassles, and isolated circuit noise, the difference in sound (between onboard and outboard) is stunning.

For what you spend on the Xonar, you could throw in a bit more and get the entry level Streamer II.

Actually Samtheman is completely correct, I thought you may be working under some economic restraints Rat44. The Dac on the Asus ST is pretty good, but I didn't keep it very long. An asynchronous external dac is a better approach, with a usb to s/pdif converter if possible. You can get many recommendations from the good folks here as to which to buy.

I use the Asus ST as a s/pdif (coax) bridge, since I had it laying around, to an external dac. I would not buy an Asus St to just function as a bridge if I hadn't had it laying around. If you have $400-$700, there are much better ways to spend your money than the Asus ST.

Jim

Yes leeperry, what I'd really like to know is what the jitter rate is out of the s/pdif coax. I've found the rate for toslink, is about 3 ns, terrible, and this is quite noticeable when using that configuration as a bridge.

What is interesting is that the system here sounds very good with the Asus ST performing as a s/pdif coax bridge. Apparently the Dacit does a very good job of retiming whatever is outputted by the Asus coax config..

Been thinking of the Audiophilleo 2 for a trial to see if there is a significant difference, but the Asus performs so well. See some of the Jonp posts here about his experience with the Asus ST.

Jim

Toslink is worthless, jitter's too high...even when using 50 strands silica glass cables.

Jitter is excellent on the Essence's FWIR, but their coax output is not galvanically isolated so it's a mixed bag.......sure, isolation adds jitter/distortion and what-not but it also separates the ground planes: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/which-digital-isolators-for-i2s-or-not/

Whether the pros outweight the cons is open for debate I guess :)

I wouldn't spend too much money on S/PDIF because it's an obsolete and utterly flawled protocol: Gearslutz.com - View Single Post - SPDIF vs. Word clock question

What is interesting is that the system here sounds very good with the Asus ST performing as a s/pdif coax bridge. Apparently the Dacit does a very good job of retiming whatever is outputted by the Asus coax config..

I find the same with mine, which is used to feed a highly modified MF X-DAC V3. I have been told that further filtering of the supply to it's added PSU socket also results in a further noticable improvement via both Analogue Out and Coax SPDIF, although I haven't yet verified this.

Having a soundcard like this also gives further recording,as well as measurement options, using the supplied software.

Alex

I find the same with mine, which is used to feed a highly modified MF X-DAC V3. I have been told that further filtering of the supply to it's added PSU socket also results in a further noticable improvement via both Analogue Out and Coax SPDIF, although I haven't yet verified this.

Having a soundcard like this also gives further recording,as well as measurement options, using the supplied software.

Alex

Am interested in your statement about further filtering to the PSU socket Sandyk, and further improvement in performance. Would you happen to have any references on this, or point me in a direction so I can learn more about this?

Jim

Hi Jim

I have sent you a PM

Regards

Alex

Actually Samtheman is completely correct, I thought you may be working under some economic restraints Rat44. The Dac on the Asus ST is pretty good, but I didn't keep it very long. An asynchronous external dac is a better approach, with a usb to s/pdif converter if possible. You can get many recommendations from the good folks here as to which to buy.

I use the Asus ST as a s/pdif (coax) bridge, since I had it laying around, to an external dac. I would not buy an Asus St to just function as a bridge if I hadn't had it laying around. If you have $400-$700, there are much better ways to spend your money than the Asus ST.

Jim

I was looking to keep my budget around $200.

The choice narrowed down to the Asus and Julia since they both support analog in and out.

If there are other options out there I am open to suggestions.

I returned the DS to the store and was told that driver issue caused a lot of them to be returned.

So,if I decided to take a chance on a ST or STX would the drivers be the same as the lower end models ?

Has anybody ran into that situation yet ?

With video cards many times there are different drivers available,didn't seem to be the case with the Asus cards though.

If you purchase the ST (don't recommend the STX), you will dowload the latest drivers from Asus.

I use J River as a media player ($50) which allows you to pick an output format, and found that the output format chosen; ASIO, Wasapi, etc. mattered in the performance of the St card. I wonder if this is the problem that some are experiencing.

Also the settings with the ST card are important. These are all evaluated and reported on by Chris, the founder of this forum, in the C.A.S.H. list that I referred to earlier.

Hope you have other comments...

Jim

Are you using the optical output?

Mine has suddenly become erratic too and it appears to be the little optical plug shifting slightly, trying some

Blu-tack as a temporary/permanent cure.

Pc locking probably because of wrong drivers?

Install disc that came with the kit does not have Win 7 drivers. Drivers off Asus site are fine.