IGNORED

Experience Documentation - Ordering Custom Earpieces for Earphones

I travel a lot (fly) so listen to my iPod a lot. I don't travel with a complicated system; just good earphones and an iPod.

Earlier this year, I replaced my aging Etymotic ER-6i earphones with Etymotic HF5 earphones. The fit of the new ear pieces wasn’t as good as the foamies I was using with the ER-6is, so decided to finally spring for custom ear pieces.

I thought I’d document the process of getting custom ear pieces (... I recalled someone (Raulerson?) asking me to post my experience, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread).

Etymotic has a discount program. The first step is registering on their site to get the discount documentation. The second step is making an appointment with an audiologists participating in the program. The third step is getting custom castings of your ear canals made. The forth is having the castings sent away to one of the participating labs. The last step is attending a second appointment to pick up the custom made ear pieces and having the audiologist confirm their fit.

Apparently the deal is that the audiologist and the lab split the money 50/50. The Etymotic deal is $100 total cost for custom ear pieces (although my audiologist also charged me a $25 shipping charge to get the casts and molds to and from the lab). Either way, this is an extremely good price for ear pieces; typically an audiologist charges well over $100 just make the ear canal casts and the labs charge at least $80 for making the molds.

It is a charming meeting with an audiologist. They spend their days helping people who are hard of hearing, so they now speak habitually in carefully parsed sentences, each word articulated clearly and annunciated an abnormally loud voice.

To make the cast, they insert a cotton plug tied to a string deep into the ear canal. They then use a 2-part catalyzed silicone compound to fill the ear canal to make the mold. It takes about 10 minutes and is not a high-anxiety process. There are lots of plaster models of ears and heads to look at while waiting and these models show just how amazingly deep the ear drum is into the head. The casts don’t go close.

The audiologist, who is participating in the Etymotic program, sends the casts to one of the two labs in the USA who are also participating in the program. Both work together to get good quality molds specific for the earphones. (In my case, my molds will fit both the HF5 and ER4 earphones.)

The bottom line is that I am EXTREMELY happy and highly recommend custom ear pieces. They are much more comfortable than the stock earpieces (which are not uncomfortable in the first place), block over 30 dB of ambient noise (subjective, since it can’t be measured), facilitate a consistent insertion into the ear and ensure an excellent seal leading to the best possible bass response. Certainly they have improved both the comfort and sound of my HF5 earphones.

Etymotic HF5 Custom Ear Pieces.jpg

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but have moved on from Etymotic. Will keep this in mind, though, when looking for my next IEMs :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thanks from me, too. I have hf3's, which I like well enough and use every day but which become uncomfortable for me after a couple of hours or so … so a problem on the long plane rides. I also have an issue getting a good seal sometimes.

Between the price and your description of the process, you've convinced me to go for the custom earpieces!

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

From what I understand, Etymotic use ACS custom silicon shells. ACS make incredible earphones, called the T15, that can be used with custom pieces as well. They are pricey at 150 pounds, but perhaps the best in class for large sound stage and beautiful treble. Flat, though they are, they are engaging with good, custom fit.

TouchMyApps headphones reviews

Brian,

I took Etymotic up on their offer as well for my MC3 headset and the ACS Custom Fit molds are terrific on a plane. The best part is that they keep a record of your mold on file should you upgrade to different earphones that don't work with your current molds.

Highly worth the extra cost IMO for great sound isolation. Combined with their App it makes for a relaxing plane ride.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

... my MC3 headset and the ACS Custom Fit molds are terrific ... great sound isolation. Combined with their App...
App???!!!??? ... I had to look that one up. ... very cool. It makes me wish I had a headset like yours rather than just earphones. I have to unplug an ear any time a Flight Attendant comes by and starts moving his/her mouth while looking at me. Otherwise, I hear nothing. Wait a minute; my iPod doesn't have a microphone input either. Oh well.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I have been using JH Audio earphones for 13 years, of course used them while playing gigs and around the home, planes etc... expensive but you get what you pay for and their support is unreal.

Jerry Harvey make some of the best customs on the planet, and certainly have the experience and know-how. I think you can't really do better sound-wise, though build-wise, there are a few that are made to last for longer.

From what I understand, Etymotic use ACS custom silicon shells. ACS make incredible earphones, called the T15, that can be used with custom pieces as well. They are pricey at 150 pounds, but perhaps the best in class for large sound stage and beautiful treble.

Thanks for the tip. Seems like these would be a nice step up from the Etymotics. I will check them out at some point.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

App???!!!??? ... I had to look that one up. ... very cool. It makes me wish I had a headset like yours rather than just earphones. I have to unplug an ear any time a Flight Attendant comes by and starts moving his/her mouth while looking at me. Otherwise, I hear nothing. Wait a minute; my iPod doesn't have a microphone input either. Oh well.

The app is pretty sweet for that very reason. Glad I went with the headset version for a little more dough.

A couple of other cool things about getting the molds made:

1) You get your hearing tested - they don't want you wasting money on the program if you've got tin ears! I was pleased to hear that my hearing is exceptional for my age!

2) You get to find out how far in your ear drums actually are...much farther than I'd imagined!

3) You get to see what your ear canals look like - mine are actually slightly different (not uncommon) in their curvature.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Jerry Harvey make some of the best customs on the planet, and certainly have the experience and know-how. I think you can't really do better sound-wise, though build-wise, there are a few that are made to last for longer.

I've yet to find it, not to mention beat his customer service. To each their own, but the sound I get works for me and a whole lot of other people.

The Truth Is Out There

The T15 is also tiny, perfect for working out, and comes with the same strong cable as with the ACS T1 1000 pound (monetary unit) custom earphone. There are a small number of people, me included, that swears by this earphone. It is expensive for its tech, though, so people pass it up in favour of more drivers. They are missing out heaps.

Thanks for the tip. Seems like these would be a nice step up from the Etymotics. I will check them out at some point.

--David

• 3 years later...