IGNORED

David Chesky interview at another site

If an individual like Chesky, who is a musician, composer, label owner, producer, engineer advocates a vision for music and then creates a mechanism for selling music which does not reflect those values then his words and actions do not match.

Chesky as producer/engineer does make a superlative product (IMO). It's Chesky as reseller of other companies' product that people have problems with. But do you honestly think that Chesky has control over what the big companies produce, or that the majors will hesitate to screw him over if he doesn't play ball? Not only could the majors have a serious negative impact on HDtracks' profitability and Chesky's income if they chose to pull their catalogs, I'm reasonably sure that could put HDT right out of business. So by all means voice your concerns to HDT, but don't expect that to have any immediate impact on what Warner et al. send over to HDT ... or even whether Chesky gets selective about what he'll accept from the majors.

Frankly, the buying public has a role in this scenario too. What you purchase is your own business. To hold anyone to a high standard is not judgmental. We are known by our work.

I don't disagree with this at all, and voting with one's pocketbook is always a viable option. Still, I think if one makes a blanket decision not to purchase from HDT, one is losing out on some good tunes.

I'm not saying I don't think HDT can be any better than it is, or that HDT's attitude isn't sometimes annoying and frustrating to customers. It's just that Chesky has to walk a pretty fine and convoluted line between his customers and his (behemoth) suppliers. I have a lot of sympathy for his position, since I have to do something similar in my business.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Yes, Paul and orgel, your points are well taken. I merely point to Mr. Chesky's extensive and well-rounded background and my comments are geared at a specific target: US. We're the consumers. They need us too. My thrust is not to injure Mr. Chesky. And me thinks he dothn't protest enough.

Boundaries are a must. One can not hold HDt responsible for what the Studios produce or what they send Mr. Chesky. One can hold Mr. Chesky accountable and responsible for profiting off admittedly adulterated music he himself would not produce with his name on the label.

If not HDt where else would these Studios find an online market for DLs that we would not favor from HDt? DLs R' US? We will not favor them from any site. It is not HDt who is the target. We're the target when we are being offered for sale cassette tapes spun into DLs (Disclaimer: engaging in hyperbole) .

Apple's sells mass music that is affordable for a mass market employing devices where high quality SQ is not critical. Do I have that right? Like watching a low resolution DVD on an iPod, it looks good until you display it on a 52" HDTV then one can discern the lower quality. Is not Apple in a sense a real thorn in HDt's side in having to compete with mass market quality music that HDt would never carry. So whether or not Apple is the 800 Ib Gorilla, they're selling bananas compared to HDt.

Perhaps I am the wrong example, but I do not purchase the lower resolution music Apple sells because I do not care for the music's characteristics. I can barely listen to it on my system. Pandora on my iPhone 4S through my car stereo with Blue Tooth, I am happy, or Sirius XM over my car stereo. In my home, it is mediocre to my ears. Not putting it down. Just prefer different. I seldom if ever use Pandora or Sirius XM at home anymore.

If future markets for DLs are just becoming established with HDt establishing a business presence, and some time in the near future, more individuals (read consumer base) will enter this market as consumers, is not now the time to take a stand. Won't Apple always be the common denominator for popular formats at a reasonable price? Thus leaving the "higher-end" production quality music to other markets for our needs, however many "our" numbers.

The vision I have for all of this is the technology will improve and the conveyances for delivering Hi-Quality music will improve along with it. Aside from HDt what other entrepreneurs are there presently who can take over for HDt if Studios hold back their catalogues. I am not targeting HDt. I am talking to the Studios who are targeting me. Wherever they take their catalogues I will not favor them.

For the record, HDt is not the target. They are very visible as a prime source of DLs. They walk a not so fine line and leave a wake of disappointment. Honestly, I do not get it even if they're merely a conduit for the Studios. If DLs R'US opens and hawks the same products (separating the good from the not so good), I will not patronize DLs R'US either. The evolution of quality in production music is what I am aiming at. That and me are one in the same.

When I beta test for several of the innovators/engineers in computer audio player software, that is my way of giving back to them, expressing my gratitude in deed, and thanking them for the immense pleasure, comfort and ease of play their product provides me.

It is compassionate to empathize with HDt and the nuances of Mr. Chesky's imagined situations of his entrepreneurship. I would never argue against that. I, myself, could never serve two masters at the same time, which, of course, explains the reason I do what I do.

So I'll stay the course with my nose up against the DL window leaving exhale clouds on the windows filled with music I would love to purchase.

Best,

Richard

Boundaries are a must. One can not hold HDt responsible for what the Studios produce or what they send Mr. Chesky. One can hold Mr. Chesky accountable and responsible for profiting off admittedly adulterated music he himself would not produce with his name on the label.

Again, well said!