IGNORED

Eagles High Resolution Download

This is GREAT! I recommend it totally. If you have been meaning to purchase this recording, DO IT THIS WAY instead (disclaimer: at this point I am not sure about the DRM limitations of this d/l, or if there are any). I will be putting a mini-review up for this in a few days!

markr

happier than usual....

Hey markr. Glad your're happy. Another newbie question; at this point, to keep things simple for my organic hard drive, I am only using iTunes. It is my understanding that it can't handle the resolution, is that correct?

My only other bitch is that my favorite Eagle was Don Henley, who I believe has left the band. Incredibly underrated, highly versatile guitarist. I know that is a little strange, but hey, I play guitar and he is a world class player who was in a band with some big egos (and talent to match) who was appreciated by relatively few.

Thanks, Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

'Hello dere' Rick!

If by 'resolution' you mean at rates higher than 16/44.1 audio - iTunes can definitely handle the resolution. The highest resolution commercially produced material that I have and play back regularly is at 24/96. You have to set 'Core Audio' to read and play the higher resolution though. This is done via the "Audio MIDI Setup" program in the "Utilities" folder when iTunes is NOT open. I am not certain how high a sampling rate iTunes will handle though. With my RME Fireface 400 attached, Audio Midi defaults to 18 channel - 32 bit mode and the sampling rate is selectable in steps from 32KHz through 192KHz. iTunes 'shortcoming' for me so far is that it won't play back FLAC or lossless files other than Apples' own lossless natively - one has to convert the files to the supported formats, like .aif or .wav first. I 'prefer' .aif. 'Max' is the program that I use on the Mac for the conversions, and I use VLC or Cog for playing back lossless files other than Apple lossless. It is the iPod that won't handle more than 16/44.1 . At least I haven't done higher rates successfully. I'm relatively certain that that isn't an issue for you though....

Rick, Bitch NO MORE! Because Don Henley is definitely on this release: Long Road Out of Eden, writing and cowriting several of the songs; he even plays some drums (my native instrument before arthritis hit me) as well as guitar. This is, to me, a really sweet album and I was not a 'super fan' of the Eagles. I always liked them though. The material and performances are great. It seems well recorded, and I'm enjoying it greatly so far. It fits the 'times' we are in while not ignoring the past or possible future. I am even beginning to think that it might be a very important album, at least in the scheme of all things 'popular'. It is playing that well for me. I would have to say that for the strictly 'republican' music fan amongst us, this might not be your album - i dunno -. Chris really hit a home run for the 'team' here by finding this download, IMO.

markr

I should be safe. I'm definitely on the liberal end of things. And I live in Kansas. It's almost a bad word here.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

"Fiscal Conservative, Social Liberal". That said, and lots more listening to Long Road Out of Eden under my belt, I'd say that this release is quite careful to try to include everyone. So long as you can add "introspective" to your list of descriptors.

NOT just for RICK: I'm still listening to this album. RIGHT NOW (FLAC again - the .aif conversion definitely sounds more "open" while being more coherent from an imaging standpoint at the same time. Maybe it is "Cog" the app I'm using to play the FLAC files....)

I'm hooked. Eagles score big on this one in my book. I have grown to like the whole album, but try it like this the first time: Open with disc 2: and play the title track (while gazing at the album cover art) through 'Business as Usual' at least. Use the "right" side of your brain to listen. I haven't heard a more well done album front-to-back in years and this is a double-volume release! If you even just 'almost' liked the Eagles: B-U-Y it. DOWNLOAD the deluxe version with the two extra songs and the PDF insert for the pics and lyrics. This is a great one - Vintage Eagles ( Albeit without Don Felder...) and MORE.

I just HAVE to mention here that Joe Walsh is amazing! Ride Again brother!

markr

"Give me another slice of that Bar-B-Qued Brisket. Gimme 'nother piece of that pecan pie."

You may have touched upon one of my biggest issues with downloading. Some albums are put together as a string of singles, however some artists carefully consider sequence and, even if it is not a concept album, they consider the overall experience and how the album flows as a whole. When you download selected tracks for .99 each, you can miss that part of it.

Album playing order is an issue to me too. That isn't an issue here though, Rick. The FLAC files download and display in the proper sequence (re: playlist as defined in the PDF of the insert to the album) in "Cog" (FLAC Playback), "Max" the audio conversion program, and then in iTunes when the "Max" conversion to .aif completes. Then, all I had to do was to invoke "Get Album Artwork" from the iTunes "Advanced" menu on the Mac, and voila', total experience (Album Art in CoverFlow). Songs in official order in the playlist Rest assured that the 'concept', if there is one intended, arrives intact when downloading this album. Eagles fans will 'get it' in the right order.

My suggestion for the first time playing order was intended to attract non-Eagles fans (or the less patient amongst us) to an 'enhanced' listening experience. Maybe it would be a better thing if I didn't "attempt any manipulation", but - The Song "Long Road Out of Eden" is what I want to hear when seeing the album cover art, and it is 'smack dab in the middle' of the album. Therefore: (1) except for the approach to listening to this album that I recommended, I do not see a total concept 'playing order-wise' in this album. (2) If I hadn't been at least partially acquainted with the Eagles and what 'they do', I might have blown-off the album before getting to 'the best part', it starts slowly when listening to it for the first time, IMO. Especially if I had been doing 'wrong side of the brain'-type listening when I first heard the music. I just might HAVE been at that time too, so that could suffice as an explanation for my recommendation for playing order. Attention spans aren't what they used to be in this brave new world..... As for my current preference towards this work of art, I have no problem going front to back on the album, but I know what is coming on the playlist now too...... 8^)

markr

"I've got a google-phonic stereo with a moon rock stylus. Sounds like SH*T! - steve martin

• 3 months later...

Nothing like resurrecting a thread all thought was dead...........

Finally got around to downloading this album after reading this thread after I started reading the site in April. My second Eagles album after the Long Run which I picked up back in 79...

I'd heard a couple of tracks on the radio before and wondered if the entire album might have a bit too much twang for me. Not so - I was really pleased with what I heard. Most bands have a hard enough time coming up with 1 album of prime time music, let alone 2.

Decent recording, lots of good tracks, favs after one listening are the title track and Joe Walsh with the "Last Good Time in Town".

I could get used to the instant gratification ( well not instant but about 20 mins) of downloading albums. This was a good first experience.