IGNORED

Article: Remote Buddy From IOSpirit

Hi Chris. I'm looking forward to your comparison. I have been using an iTouch with the Signal program and although I love the idea, I find the execution a little lacking. Your opinion is welcome.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

• 6 months later...

Chris,<br />

<br />

Regarding this old topic...I still haven't bought an iPod Touch yet, mainly because I'm OK with my "Bentley" (to use your terminology :) ) remote control solution of another Mac laptop. But it would be nice to have something a bit more portable. So, I had the chance to play around with an iPhone with Apple's Remote app and it was, well, OK, in my book. Does what you need for the basics. One thing that's disappointing is that if you have the iTunes screen running with coverflow on a TV for all to see, as in a party situation, and you do anything using the Touch, the coverflow goes away and you get something like just a playlist of the songs of the current album. Sounds minor, but I think coverflow is really nice to see, especially with guests. (Same story with the Visualizers.)<br />

<br />

From what I can tell from some demos I've seen online, RemoteBuddy looks like it maintains on screen whatever your computer is running - like coverflow in iTunes. Does this sound correct? If so and if I don't mind paying the $30 do you think RemoteBuddy would be the better solution in my case? I think I'm reasonably geeky about this stuff, so is it that much more difficult to configure than Apple's Remote app? Any serious drawbacks?<br />

<br />

(I haven't been able to verify what Signal does in this case, but RemoteBuddy seems like the more heavy duty application to me.)<br />

<br />

Thanks,<br />

TheOtherTim<br />

<br />

PS The CASH equipment list is outstanding! I've already recommended it to somebody. Thanks for doing that. <br />

<br />

<br />

Hi Tim - I have RemoteBuddy, but don't really use it. It's not difficult to use. Just point a browser at your music server with a specific port like 8888 (it says in the configuration gui). RB is pretty robust and can do much more than remote control of an iTunes library. I think they have a free trial, I recommend checking it out. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll fire my RB up and help.<br />

<br />

<br />

Thanks for the kind words about the CASH list :-)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png