IGNORED

The Nova Pre is now available

• 2 weeks later...

Link: Nova-pre

I keep going back and forth on this. I would hate to buy it and find the differences between it and my current Nova, being used as a DAC and pre-amp, were subtle to inaudible.

Also, they use the term "tube buffer." Ideally I would like a passive tube buffer rather than an active attenuating pre-amp. Anyone have any insights?

I keep going back and forth on this. I would hate to buy it and find the differences between it and my current Nova, being used as a DAC and pre-amp, were subtle to inaudible.

Also, they use the term "tube buffer." Ideally I would like a passive tube buffer rather than an active attenuating pre-amp. Anyone have any insights?

I wish I did. I know the Grand Pre is a huge step forward, I have no idea how that translates to the Nova Pre. I think they share the USB input, but the DAC chip is different. I do see that they are using a 6N1P tube in the Nova Pre, the same tube used in the iNova which was a step up from the regular Nova. Couple that with the new DAC chip and Asynch input and you should be able to tell the difference easily.

No electron left behind.

Here's the handy thing about my version of Objectivism as applied to new equipment. If you read about it, go see it, touch it and get that "i potentially can't leave without it, because it's sooo friggin' gorgeous" feeling in the gut...then you will hear a difference.

Whether you can measure it or not.

Of course, your personal version of Objectivism is different...logic-driven and empirical.

Mine is more fun. Yours save you a lot of money.

my two cents...

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5