IGNORED

Interesting Neil Young update on 4/4/12.

Hopefully, he didn't consult with the Chesky brothers.

The article suggests he's not just a working on a download service but a new audio format. I wonder what that would be?

I'm sure anything Neil Young does will be good for audiophiles.

...but misguided I'm afraid.

High resolution is only better than CD quality if the quality of the recording/mixing/and mastering is good.

A crap recording is a crap recording and a higher resolution version of it only makes it stink more.

If Neil Young and Jimmy Iovine were truly, honestly, concerned with giving consumers the soul and tone and vibe that was captured in the studio they'd address the loudness wars first and bring back dynamics to music of all genres. No kind of music benefits from being brickwalled 90% of the time, only to be normalized again by radio stations and the mass market's iPod.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

We already have WAV / AIFF, FLAC / ALAC, not to mention the various flavors of DSD. All are already lossless and scale up the highest bitrates currently being mastered.

So why is a "new format" needed? Serious question.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system