IGNORED

Dire Straits - Brother in Arms from HD Tracks

They've offered refunds before... This one apparently didn't take as much noise to get to as others, but the pattern is clear.

C.A.P.S. v2.0 w/ SOTM USB card and J River 17 > Modwright LS100 w DAC upgrade > Modwright KWA 100SE> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grands

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 2 weeks later...

They sent me an e-mail "explaining" the situation and notifying me of the refund, but I was expecting a public statement here.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 1 month later...
...."recorded on a Sony PCM 1630 at either 16/44.1k or 16/48k"

I don't get this. My vinyl copy of BIA is sublime . . . the sonics are superb. I considered it my best record on any format 'til recently ....

There's nothing illogical here. 16/44 done right can sound superb. Crafting an LP from 16/44 can also sound superb.

The real problem is our poor expectations from 16/44, conditioned by years of bad experiences because it is so often not done right.

Computer audiophile is not an oxymoron