IGNORED

Better sound using iPod Classic at our Hockey Rink

You folks have been so helpful with my CD project (previous postings under the DAC equipment section) I figured someone may be able to help me with this issue too.

I'm the hockey music mom for my son's High School team. I bring my iPod Classic (loaded with AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, etc. - you know, songs like "Enter Sandman", "300 Violin Orchestra", etc. - music to make the kids get in the mood to "hit somebody"!). The headphone out wire connects to the rink's sound system. This was where I first recognized the importance of ripping my songs in AIFF rather than the MP3 (songs imported from iTunes sound like crap on the rink's system). Even with the higher quality AIFF, many songs still sound muddled. I know we have crummy speakers which I can't do anything about, but would it make sense to get a portable DAC? Could an iPod be connected to a portable DAC which could then be connected to the rink's system? If so, would this help improve the sound quality?

Thanks for the help!

headphone out. I use my iPod classic to run my bookshelf stereo in my woodshop, and use an adapter that runs from the power dock port at the bottom of the iPod, and converts that to twin RCA plugs that go into the stereo. Much, much better sound, IMO. Adapter wasn't that expensive either. I use this one

http://www.amazon.com/AV-Video-Converter-adapter-iPhone/dp/B005NSD312

and a converter on the usb end even keeps the iPod charged.

Using the line out via the dock connector is the right way to go (and it's an inexpensive fix). If that doesn't cut it, the problem is probably with the speakers. There are some (relatively) inexpensive dacs for an ipod that you can look into such as the HRT istreamer that you can also look into.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Thanks for the suggestion about using a different way to connect iPod to the sound system. The rink's sound system is a huge box (roughly 3 ft.tall by 3 ft.wide by about 2 ft.deep) that sits on the floor under the scorer's table. They actually lock the front so that people can't mess with the equalizer & volume control knobs. I crawled under the table to move the box so I could see the back & found that it's loaded with various places to input things, along with lots of colorful switches. Being the newbie I am, I have no idea what most of them are for, but it looks like there's a place to plug in RCA plugs. Not the easiest or fastest way to get set up to play (since this sound unit weighs a ton & is tough to move), but it looks doable. Using a portable DAC (if this is possible) would certainly be easier.