IGNORED

Any Beatles catalog experts in the house?

I have a track from the Beatles in my iTunes library that I am trying to figure out the origin of.

Years ago, I ripped The Beatles' "The First U.S. Visit" DVD, which included many of the early Ed Sullivan performances. I edited the audio down to just the musical performances themselves, and even cross faded some of the tracks to create my own live album of sorts.

A few months ago I signed up for iTunes Match so that I could have my whole library available on my iPhone. Curiously, the live performance of Twist & Shout from the Ed Sullivan Show matched a track in the iTunes Store library.

I have downloaded the matched track and it is indeed the same performance of Twist & Shout from the Ed Sullivan show, but the audio is a bit better. On the DVD rip the sound sort of washes in and out, but this seems to have been fixed on the iTunes Store track.

However, when I search for the track in the iTunes Store, it doesn't appear to be available for purchase. I did a Google search and can't find any reference to this performance ever appearing on a Beatles album.

Anyone know if this track was ever available on an official release or why it otherwise might be in the iTunes library? It runs 2:41 in length with the intro/outro faded, if that helps at all...

I'm at work now so I don't have the liner notes but are you sure it's not from Anthology Vol.1? I know there's a live version of Twist & Shout and I know that there's also stuff on there from one of their Ed Sullivan appearances but I'm not 100% if that's the track.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

(John's famous "just rattle your jewelry" comment.) I have the "Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles" DVD set (the ones where the entire shows, including commercials, are intact). I will check and hear if T&S is somewhat modulated in that one (although still no explanation why it showed up on the cloud, unless it's simply that others' personal collections are also on the cloud and iTunes/Apple used that one??).

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I did a bit of research myself and the Anthology 1 track is indeed from the Royal Command Performance.

Still a mystery, I guess? Odd.

I have had a couple of other strange hits on iTunes Match for tracks that have never been officially released. I don't believe Apple's contract with the music labels would allow for sharing tracks between user libraries?